It would appear that AirCover is just another false platitude for Hosts by Chesky & Co.

Stephanie365
Level 10
Fredericksburg, VA

It would appear that AirCover is just another false platitude for Hosts by Chesky & Co.

https://www.q13fox.com/news/west-seattle-family-worked-for-months-to-get-reimbursement-from-airbnb-a...

AirCover declined to cover the full cost of damages AND they wanted the hosts to sign a Non-Disclosure Agreement and not discuss what happened. 

Lesson to be learned? Don't trust AirBNB to cover your @$$.  Make sure you have proper insurance because AirC is a joke.

3 Replies 3

@Stephanie365 that is a disgrace.

But I wonder how it would have gone down with a private insurer, if someone had turned the home into a meth lab. 

Debra300
Level 10
Gros Islet, Saint Lucia

@Anonymous,

It's scary to hear about these types of events with guests.  However, the people had been hosting for seven years, and I noticed that they didn't mention that they had STR, homeowner, or business insurance for their rental.  It appears that as long as they were getting paid and didn't have significant issues that they didn't bother to address the fact that the Host Guarantee clearly stated it wasn't an insurance, and continued hosting with those blinders when the scheme was rebranded as Air Cover.

My homeowner insurance company would have given the choice for the policyholder to pay for the hazardous waste testing and clean up (and repairs/replacement), and then be reimbursed, or allow them to coordinate that work with their preferred vendors who must also provide warranties.  The policyholder would be responsible only for their deductible. 

@Anonymous  I'm not sure.  My experience with filing a claim with my homeowner's insurance was limited to hurricane damage where my roof was torn off by Katrina.

But this isn't the first time I've read that AirCover isn't any better than the host guarantee. 

This one came across FB 5 days ago...

"Airbnb air cover for host it’s BS

My last weekend guest ( reservation for 4 but 10 arrived- I try cancel immediately I provided all documentation, pictures but still Airbnb took all night to cancel and they cancel next morning ) made a damage to my baseboard in couple places. I received estimate from General Contarctor with license $1000 and I sent to Airbnb. After 10 days of waiting I received email that they want reimburse me $70. I don’t know if I should cry or laugh "