Job Offer Scam

Answered!

Job Offer Scam

Hi, I wanted to bring this to people's attention. I was offered a job position as a customer service/co-host. I received an email stating they reviewed my resume on Careerbuilder which sounded valid and that they were interested in me for this position. I communicated back and forth with the email deluxairbnbhomes@ outlook.com. I should have been leery with this email however it seemed legit. The guy who went by Bryan asked me to confirm some things directly through the Airbnb app, like my phone number, and providing the app with my ID. I did all those things as instructed however my stomach told me something was off. I am sure he was able to access my account through my phone number along with the code that was texted to me which he requested. There was no phone number or last name on the email and it didn't sit well. I deactivated the account immediately after however, I am sure he probably to a screenshot of my ID. I reached out to Airbnb directly who confirmed that it was indeed a scam and that this isn't the job offer process. I wanted to make others aware who may be looking for employment through Airbnb to be cautious of scams. Luckily I didn't get too far in the process outside of providing my ID and bringing this to the company's attention. I requested the guy from the email to call me to catch him in his own scam but of course, no follow up. If you would like to apply for any jobs I suggest going directly through the company website instead of 3rd party sites its more secure.

1 Best Answer
Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sherie16 , 

Hope you are doing safe and glad to hear that you were intuitive regarding this situation!

Did you have a chance to have a look at @Fred13 's suggestion below?

It is always prudent to not share OTPs, account passwords or personal information in such situations.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

View Best Answer in original post

6 Replies 6
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@ outlook.com is the giveaway; Airbnb doesn't use that.

Bhumika
Community Manager
Community Manager
Toronto, Canada

Hi @Sherie16 , 

Hope you are doing safe and glad to hear that you were intuitive regarding this situation!

Did you have a chance to have a look at @Fred13 's suggestion below?

It is always prudent to not share OTPs, account passwords or personal information in such situations.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

Got scammed yesterday by text-BambooHR. Then they had boutiquehotel-ck.com WhatsApp me. Beware!

I just received the same from Kevin with the email info@luxuryhubrentals.com. Thinking it’s the same so thank you for the post!!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Sherie16 

whatever arrangements you make with a host to cohost their properties are between you and the host .

it's not clear on your post about what you mean when you say the host was asking you to confirm details through the app. Why did you give him access to your account.

The only people who get employment through Airbnb are staff employed by them directly.

As someone who provides cohosting services you should be aware that if a host wants to add you to their listing they just send you an invite via email to be added to their listing.

if you are being contracted by a host to provide a service you are not being given a job you are being contracted to provide a service. 

Marjo459
Level 1
Béziers, France

Yes, what do you want . 🇨🇵

**[Sensitive information removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines]