Late check out when another guest is checking in

Kierland0
Level 2
Chesterfield, MO

Late check out when another guest is checking in

A week ago I had a guest checking out on Sunday, check out time is 10:00 am.  My cleaning crew went inside the unit at 10:30 and he told them they were not ready to leave but they could start cleaning.  They told him they are not allowed to clean with guests still in the unit and they would come back.  They came back at 12:30 and again at 2:30 and they were still inside.  

The new guests that were to arrive that day called me at 3:15 to inform me that there were still people inside.  I then called the guest that was still in the unit and he told me his son wasn't feeling good and wouldn't get out of bed.  I now had to find another place for the new guests to stay and arrange for cleaning when they departed, no easy task since it was late in the day and the next day was the last day of the month.

I called Airbnb and have filed a complaint with the resolution center......he also let caked-on fish in the pots stacked up in the sink and broke the coffee pot.

Airbnb said the guest wasn't willing to pay for the 2 nights (nor one night) that the guests had to be moved.  I emphasized to Airbnb he signed the contract and knew the consequences of his actions.  They told me he would tell his bank card company to dispute the charges and Airbnb proposed a 50% settlement.  I'm livid!  I don't understand why Airbnb doesn't back its hosts in a more forceful manner.

I had all conversations through texts and receipts for different lodging arrangements and forwarded all to Airbnb.  It's not that they don't believe me, it's they don't want to go to battle with the credit card company.

The customer service rep from Airbnb is from another country and emails me usually at 1:00 am my time and isn't around when I respond so it makes it even that more difficult.

Somebody help me out, what am I missing?

22 Replies 22

@Nanxing0 For some people, being able  to sleep until noon is one of the great things about being on vacation. It would be for me, and I would consider it to be maximizing my holiday.  

You must be a naturally early riser 🙂

@Sarah977 I understand that, but I'm just the opposite. When working I usually need at least 10 hour sleep otherwise I will be lack of energy, so I usually wake up around 8-9am on workdays. However when I'm on vacation, I wake up earlier to do more things for vacation, since I don't have to worry about being lack of energy to think during work, plus I can take noon naps.

You've obviously never rented to a group of young people who drink until 4am on the night before their checkout.

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Laura2592 10am check out and 3 or 4pm check in is very normal in the UK. We need this time to clean properly and fix any issues that might have occurred from the previous guest. We will always offer early check in or late check out if the place is empty.

To block a day between bookings would, in high season, probably lose about 30% of revenue as we would lose at least 4 days for cleaning and probably another 5 days as people can't stay for a full week starting at the weekend.

@Mike-And-Jane0  we prefer the flexibility to solve problems to the additional revenue. Hosting is stressful enough in our area. We allow noon check outs, the cleaners have all afternoon to fix up the space, and we go after to double check/set up or re-clean if they run out of time or guests have been particularly messy. I can't imagine making some of the personalities we have had wait while the cleaners finish up after a late check out or a family with little ones who smeared jam everywhere. More than likely that would be revenue lost when claims were filed as the space wasn't ready. (Or a poor review on cleanliness, and people passing on booking over time). And cleaners do get sick or have emergencies where they can't make their cleaning appointments. So again, its a relief to have the flexibility between guests. That's worth the extra money to me.  But every host is different. 

Karla533
Level 10
Santa Fe, NM

@Kierland0  In addition to all the above good advice, I learned from somewhere that in the case of a stubborn overstay, a host can just go into the property and start removing things that belong to the host. Things that belong to the host are always private property and are legal to remove. Pillows, blankets, towels, TV, microwave, etc.

@Karla533  Love this.  @Kierland0 could have gone in and taken the bed the boy was still in...

HELP I have a guest that wont check out and is smoking in condo