My guest didn't show up! Any advice?

Answered!
Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

My guest didn't show up! Any advice?

Guest made the same day booking, informed me he will check-in at 8pm but never showed up. The next morning he messaged me at 6am saying that he won't make it unless I will let him check-out at 3pm (I assume he was partying all night and wanted to sleep). I said no because I have another guests coming. He said ok, but asked for refund. He opened a dispute in resolution center asking me for money. I called Airbnb and they told me the guest needs to contact them first in such case, but instead he asks me for refund. Now, I have time til Feb 6 to answer his case. Should I reply he won't get a refund or say nothing and wait until Airbnb joins the discussion?

1 Best Answer
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Hi Poitr48 

thanks for asking the community for help. I’ve had this happen a couple of times in 5 years and each time I handled it and Airbnb supported me. Here is what you write back to the guests immediately 

Dear “ Guests”

I am in receipt of your earlier request to finally show up next day and stay until 3pm as well as your refund. Let me help you to understand how Airbnb works. 

1. First when a guests books such as yourself, you are required to provide the host (me) a check in time which you gave as 8pm. I kept my place ready and available for you to do that. You however chose NOT to check in, which under the Airbnb platform is considered a “No Show” nor did you communicate you weren’t coming either which would’ve been so helpful to me as I did wait for you. 

2. Also as a user of the Airbnb platform, it is your responsibility to read the terms of service on cancellations , No Shows, late check outs, regarding payments and refunds. I highly recommend you do that now to get a clear understanding of why I will not be able to fulfill your request. I have contacted Airbnb to inform them of your resolution request so they are fully aware of what you are wanting but keep in mind they will honor the policy they set forth on refunds when a guests chooses not to check in. I’m unable to provide a refund either as this is a place of business and I was unable to host another guests because you had booked it. Perhaps if you had contacted me prior to 8pm, that refund might have been possible. 
Airbnb policy states that a guests should contact both host and Airbnb if you are unable to check in on the specified check in date especially for safety reasons.  

3. Last but not least, it’s always my goal to provide every guests a comfortable, clean and enjoyable stay. And I would have done so for you had you been able to check in at 8pm which was your chosen check in time. I had a guests checking in the very next day so it’s my responsibility to clean and prepare the place for them to check in on their designated time. Which is why I could not accommodate your late check out time of 3:00pm. 

I want to encourage you to contact Airbnb as they are waiting for your call. I’m sure they will do their best to help you. In the meantime, I hope there will be another opportunity to truly host you. However, please be sure to read all the contractual terms to book any Airbnb on the platform. They are there to protect you as the guests and me as the host.  

Take care 

POITR

Hi Host, this is Momi. I’ve been a Superhost for over 5 years now and I want to give you some additional advice. PUT THIS LETTER INTO THE RESOLUTION RESPONSE AND THEN DECLINE. Once Airbnb gets involved they will read your letter I’ve written (tweak it how you want) but I promise you it will help them to understand fully what happened and support the No Refund ) 

good luck and let me know how it goes. I always help people but they never ever share the outcome 😉 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

View Best Answer in original post

4 Replies 4
Momi0
Level 10
Honolulu, HI

Hi Poitr48 

thanks for asking the community for help. I’ve had this happen a couple of times in 5 years and each time I handled it and Airbnb supported me. Here is what you write back to the guests immediately 

Dear “ Guests”

I am in receipt of your earlier request to finally show up next day and stay until 3pm as well as your refund. Let me help you to understand how Airbnb works. 

1. First when a guests books such as yourself, you are required to provide the host (me) a check in time which you gave as 8pm. I kept my place ready and available for you to do that. You however chose NOT to check in, which under the Airbnb platform is considered a “No Show” nor did you communicate you weren’t coming either which would’ve been so helpful to me as I did wait for you. 

2. Also as a user of the Airbnb platform, it is your responsibility to read the terms of service on cancellations , No Shows, late check outs, regarding payments and refunds. I highly recommend you do that now to get a clear understanding of why I will not be able to fulfill your request. I have contacted Airbnb to inform them of your resolution request so they are fully aware of what you are wanting but keep in mind they will honor the policy they set forth on refunds when a guests chooses not to check in. I’m unable to provide a refund either as this is a place of business and I was unable to host another guests because you had booked it. Perhaps if you had contacted me prior to 8pm, that refund might have been possible. 
Airbnb policy states that a guests should contact both host and Airbnb if you are unable to check in on the specified check in date especially for safety reasons.  

3. Last but not least, it’s always my goal to provide every guests a comfortable, clean and enjoyable stay. And I would have done so for you had you been able to check in at 8pm which was your chosen check in time. I had a guests checking in the very next day so it’s my responsibility to clean and prepare the place for them to check in on their designated time. Which is why I could not accommodate your late check out time of 3:00pm. 

I want to encourage you to contact Airbnb as they are waiting for your call. I’m sure they will do their best to help you. In the meantime, I hope there will be another opportunity to truly host you. However, please be sure to read all the contractual terms to book any Airbnb on the platform. They are there to protect you as the guests and me as the host.  

Take care 

POITR

Hi Host, this is Momi. I’ve been a Superhost for over 5 years now and I want to give you some additional advice. PUT THIS LETTER INTO THE RESOLUTION RESPONSE AND THEN DECLINE. Once Airbnb gets involved they will read your letter I’ve written (tweak it how you want) but I promise you it will help them to understand fully what happened and support the No Refund ) 

good luck and let me know how it goes. I always help people but they never ever share the outcome 😉 

If you feel that me or another host have helped you, feel free to click on the "thumbs up" button at the end of any post. Thank you so much.

Aloha, Momi

Great way to contact Airbnb or via Twitter at AirbnbHelp / Facebook

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Adding @Piotr48 so the OP sees your response @Momi0 !

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Wish I could pin this response! Well written and now I know what to do of it happens to me!

Piotr48
Level 10
Wrocław, Poland

@Momi0 Thanks so much! That is very helpful and very well explained and I will send it to the guest 🙂