My phone number is being misused by somebody else's account

My phone number is being misused by somebody else's account

I have already tried reaching Airbnb about this through other means, but with no success.

I have been receiving unsolicited SMS messages and contact requests regarding hosting, however I have no apartments or anything to rent.

When I tried adding my phone number to my account, and after inputing the 4-digit confirmation code that I was sent and received right in front of me, the form just shows me the error that my phone number is being used in another account, and that I could remove it from that account or add a new one.

Wel... that will be a bit hard since that account is NOT mine...

And even though the code was sent to me, and I received it right in front of me, still Airbnb considers that I'm not the owner of that number? What?

3 Replies 3
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Daniel7710 

So somebody else has put in YOUR number (maybe by mistake) into his/her account.

Can't you trace the host or listing from the messages you receive ? Otherwise contacting Airbnb is the only option to resolve the problem.

Contact Airbnb - Community Guide [Updated]

Juley0
Level 3
Danville, CA

change your phone number, it's annoying but the problem will be resolved quickly.

I know the aggravation you're dealing with, so in my experience, I suggest you take the quickest action & change your phone number.

No question you shouldn't have to do that, etc., but it may be the easiest and quickest resolution. And make sure to list your new number on ABB right away (but make sure you enter the number correctly!)

Good luck!