NSW

Sue769
Level 1
Pennant Hills, AU

NSW

It has just been announced in NSW, Australia that it is illegal to stay in an Airbnb: 

Airbnbs declared ‘illegal’ as NSW government cracks down on holidaymakers

By Sue Williams

It is now illegal for anyone in NSW to stay in an Airbnb or similar short-term letting agency accommodation, a government spokesman has declared.

Under the new coronavirus regulations, no one should be staying anywhere other than their own permanent home, and they could be fined or imprisoned if they were found to be breaking emergency rules.

"There's zero reason for someone to stay in an Airbnb": NSW Minister for Better Regulation Kevin Anderson.CREDIT:AAP

"There's zero reason for someone to stay in an Airbnb," said a spokesperson for the Minister for Better Regulation and Innovation Kevin Anderson. "It's illegal to have any guests whatsoever.

7 Replies 7
Charles224
Level 10
Clare, Australia

@Sue769 that is really big news. I had a 20-night customer from Melbourne (who is moving to Adelaide) get turned back at the border today. It's like we're in a movie.

Stay safe.

Jane550
Level 6
Australia

Such a difficult time arghhhhh

Danny229
Level 2
South Turramurra, AU

False. There are numerous reasons for still getting an Airbnb. Escaping from a domestic abuser, or other unsafe situation; needing to find another place to stay due to property damage, pest infestations, etc.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry I can't agree @Danny229  the regulations are in place for a reason.

There are refuges available for those escaping DV. And you can still live in a property that is being treated for pest infections.

The only people who NEED to say in a short term rental, hotel etc are key workers.

There is normally provision in the legislation for people who have lost their home due to property damage or to attend a funeral to have STR.

Ocean50
Level 6
Revesby, Australia

@Sue769 @Helen3 @Danny229 @Jane550 @Charles224 

Ok! it's time to stop spreading some rumors, we as hosts are doing as hard as it is. Please check your source before posting something like this.

91979569_10221066756551973_9219826588596568064_n.jpg

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I haven't spread any rumours thank you @Ocean50 

Wendy117
Level 10
Bexley, Australia