Off-Grid Cabins in the north east of UK

Alasdair28
Level 1
Stockton-on-Tees, United Kingdom

Off-Grid Cabins in the north east of UK

Hi everyone,

I'm a year or so into my journey hosting guests off-grid in the open countryside in several unique cabins. My intention is to give people a break from the familiar and feel a little closer to nature whilst hopefully building a little knowledge of sustainable way of living stripping things back toward the basics. Helping guests learn about a different way to live whilst not making a stay too challenging is the sweet spot I aspire to offer. Introducing features like solar power and compost toilets, whilst omitting mains power and offering no wifi hopefully give guests a chance to experience fewer distractions whilst building appreciation for all sorts upon their return home. 

Would be great to share stories and lessons with anyone with a similar ethos and/or offering 🙂

Look forward to getting to know some of you here soon! 

Alasdair 

3 Replies 3
Kitty-and-Creek0
Top Contributor
Willits, CA

@Alasdair28 

Lovely to meet you here, great intro to what you are doing. We are permanently off-grid, after 32 years here on the mountain. We have all the comforts of homes we live here, and are busy living a modern life while maintaining firebreaks, generators, solar, roads, and plumbing. Our internet comes via microwave from a remote tower on a line of sight mountain top. What we offer is an alternative to the city hustle and noise, with no lights out here, a dark sky and resource conservation. We have large acreage of wilderness, chaparral and forest, plus large spring fed pond. Our guests know why they are coming - for stargazing and the Milky Way, huge views across vast wilderness to the ocean, and hiking all over the mountain. We've trail cams all over, for wildlife observation - they are always invited to accompany us for changing chips and seeing who has used the forest trails. 

We off the grid folks are a community within this community, lovely to meet you here!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Alasdair28  great read it is always an interest to me. We were brought up in our early years off the grid by the beach and in the bush.

It was the norm in those days. But do we call it today as progress

But people still need time out to bring them back to earth 🌎 and  regroup for their sense of well-being..

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Alasdair28 @Kitty-and-Creek0  has given information on sustainability and living remotely, how they survive and prepare for bush fires. 

Along with what their guests will expect. It is always a good read.