Announcements

Winter Release Q&A with Airbnb’s Christy Schrader

Winter Release Q&A session

Publicity or permission issues ?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Publicity or permission issues ?

Yesterday I was sent a link from a friend to an article about my Airbnb by a travel writer.  As far as I know this person has not been a guest.  Its a flattering little write up on a blog that's pretty popular.  All the pictures were taken directly from my listing. 

I had no awareness that this might happen...no one reached out to ask us if we would be interested in having this story if if they can use our photos.  We had gotten several bookings in the past week since this appeared....also some very strange inquiries because the price he quoted is not the price for every night as we use a peak demand pricing tool. Some folks demanded the price in the article. 

My husband has a legal background and is upset that we were not informed this was happening.  I'm happy for the additional exposure but it does seem a bit strange not to give us a heads up. What are your thoughts? Anyone have anything like this happen?

31 Replies 31

I've been reading this thread as a member of the media. I'd like to give hosts a proper heads up about any web articles that include their rental, but my colleagues and I have been blocked when we try to contact hosts via AirBnB directly without fully booking a stay. How do you suggest someone in my shoes get in touch with hosts to give them a requisite heads up? 

@Jolene62  Why would there be web articles that include someone's rental without asking their permission first?  That's presumptuous and rude. You want to give them a heads-up after the fact?