Puzzling things that have appeared in your space

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

Puzzling things that have appeared in your space

We have a lot of threads about things that have gone missing, but what sorts of strange, unique or puzzling things have shown up in your space?

For ours...

A book on  19th century post mortem photography (suitable for Halloween-- I would have kept it-- but they were writing a paper and wanted it back.)

A rake. Like the kind you use for leaves. In June. No one asked for that one. Its in our shed. Still wondering why someone BYORake to their romantic weekend. 

One of those windshield shades that collapses down to a small size, fully open and lying under a bed. Threw it out. 

Plastic fingernails. This is actually not that uncommon. Cleaners find them a lot. 

A jug for water with "Mama has to pee" written on it. I left it in the cabinet after washing and it disappeared 3 guests later. It obviously made someone laugh as much as it did me. 

A nice purple mum on our porch.

What surprising things have appeared in your space?

24 Replies 24
Colleen253
Level 10
Alberta, Canada

@Laura2592 Puzzling, (and rather alarming) was a partially burned article of clothing I found. No sign of fire or disaster otherwise. I never questioned the guest. Other than that, an odd find was a tripod set up in one of the bedrooms. Maybe not so puzzling, 🤣

And yes, once again, it’s confirmed you have the oddest guests!

@Colleen253 I have an answer for your burned clothing that's not disturbing.  Unless you are disturbed by tipsy antics. 

When my now husband and I were dating we used to get together with coworkers for happy hour at a bar near his corporate apartment in DC. He was a terrible housekeeper and we would tease him about his clothes that were everywhere like he had just walked out of them. One evening we were a little buzzed and my female coworker and I thought it would be a great idea to hide all of these dirty clothes so we stuffed them in his oven while he was in the bathroom.  I guess we thought that he would never find them because he never used the oven. 

Well you can guess what happened when he got chosen to bring lemon bars to work for thr holiday potluck and made them from scratch 2 months later.

@Laura2592 Too funny! That would be a plausible explanation if we were talking about your guests, but mine are pretty boring, generally (knocks wood).

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Laura2592 

Someone left a whole garbage bag full of underwear.

(I didn’t examine it so don’t go there.)

I messaged the guest and asked if she wanted it back and she said no, she was planning to donate it to Goodwill.

OK. Whatever.

My wife went through it and found that it was all expensive Victoria’s Secret stuff and looked like brand new.

There must be a logical reason for abandoning $300 worth of new underwear but I don’t see it.

Maybe she decided to give up underwear altogether?

@Brian2036 that sounds kind of depressing to me. Like she bought all of this bonkers lingerie for a romantic weekend and ended up breaking up instead. 

Or maybe she was part of a shoplifting ring and had a change of heart. 

Or maybe she was mad at her sister so she stole all of her expensive underwear and was waiting to see if she noticed.  But then her sister really did something to make her even madder so she just abandoned the underwear and it would become an unsolved mystery in her family lore

(That one may be a tad autobiographical except it was a really ugly floral blazer of my mom's. I confessed to it only when she was dying.  She was still mad.)

@Brian2036 Call me suspicious  but I'm guessing the underwear was for the trip and it couldn't go "home" if you get what I mean--LOL

@Kim866 aha! I think you might have cracked another case on AffairBnb

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

A working iphone with a cracked screen. Was in the bathroom garbage can. Along with a pipe and a glass straw, maybe used for snorting coke or smoking crack.

@Sarah977 yikes!!

@Laura2592  That was the same guest who brought a guy home at 3am her first night, they were drunk and noisy, showered together and then I had to listen to the headboard banging against the wall. I just went back to sleep and called her out on it the next morning. She was a rather strange woman- Russian, but had grown up in Canada.

After that incident, we actually got along fine and she never caused any more problems. And if she was doing drugs at my place, I wasn't aware of it. She was actually out most of the time during her 5 night stay.

I really don't care what guests do, as long as it doesn't impact me in a negative way.

One man was obviously a closet alcoholic, judging by the number of empty mickey bottles I found in his room after he checked out. But while he wasn't sociable like most of my home-share guests are, he was really quiet, pleasant when we crossed paths, and I never saw him appear at all drunk. 

Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Laura2592 

I met a guest outside our apartment who arrived with suitcase in one hand and a full to the brim pint glass of Guinness in the other, in a branded glass.

At the time, I was 99.9% confident I'd find this glass left behind after checkout.

It was. 

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Laptops, phones, tablets, books, money, Bluetooth, sunglasses, 'toys', etc are constantly left behind, about every 5th guest leaves one of these.  We contact them immediately and get them to them before leaving the country. Except the last one.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

570B55ED-D648-4111-BA5F-AB28870FA32C.jpeg

 breast milk ...thing ... I suppose.... and we dont host kids and infants 🙂

@Branka-and-Silvia0 No not breast milk thing....it is a manual massage cupping pump device and they are wonderful..but you have to be trained and know how to use them......I've used cupping in my massage business for many years. Don't throw that out.  The suction that it will do would hurt your breast so badly - DON"T try it. Its not a toy. 

Its for back, legs, arms, etc. releases so much in the tissue when used correctly. So pack it up, and hang on to it. One day, I'll come to visit and show you how it works. 

Kinda surprised they didn't want it back.  Keep me posted.

Best to you both, Clara