Reasons to leave this platform! Outside country reviews buried!

Mandrake-And-Karen0
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Reasons to leave this platform! Outside country reviews buried!

Ugh! It's happened again.  A guest moves to the US from another country and books a stay but the address is not yet updated to being a US address.  Guest leaves a stellar review that places our rental at the top of most desirable places to stay.  Airbnb's system buries the review lower down where it is not seen by potential US guests seeking a future stay.  Meanwhile guests from outside the country see the review at the top of the list of most current reviews.  Calls in to customer services is a waste of time because they are logging in outside the US and are seeing the "outside of US reviews" at the top.  Told they will pass along the information to a US representative who would be able to see the problem but they can't guarantee it will be a US customer service rep seeing/responding to the issue.  All the while US guests are seeing gaps in bookings/reviews because of this issue.  When we are receiving messages from Airbnb that most guests bookings are within 350 miles from our rental it is detrimental that all bookings/reviews are posting in the order of their bookings.  Airbnb lists reviews for guests regardless of where they live or book in recent order.  There is no excuse for them not to do the same for US hosts!  This is just another thing that outrages me about Airbnb host inequities and blind eye on how their practices affect our bottom lines! THEY ARE CLUELESS because they continue to get money from us and don't see our priorities as their priorities.  Sad mistake.

We are building our business up locally and look forward to the day, hopefully sooner rather than later, that we can leave their platform.

Until then we hope Airbnb will take this issue seriously and remedy the situation for all hosts.

Mandrake & Karen

This is why your reviews aren't showing up at the top.  They are made by guest who are searching for a rental who live outside the country where your rental is or their address may not be current and reflects an out of country address that Airbnb is responding to.

31 Replies 31
Dimitar27
Level 10
Sofia, Bulgaria

That's not a reason to give up!

Most of the guests are reading all of the reviews. If you have too many (300+), they will read only the worst ones, trying to find a reason not to book. It's a psychological issue and every rating system is trying to override this negative effect. Once a potential guest is on your page, he/she will read the first few reviews. The first step is made! And then will start searching for the worst ones. On this point, the system will try to help you, making the search more complicated.

Your best reviews will be always on the top. Which one-depends on the number of "positive" keywords and the number of negative comments. A positive review can be positive, but not containing enough positive keywords.

@Dmitar27, You have a point there.  Thanks for your feedback.

Mandrake-And-Karen0
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Hi All,

While we appreciate your feedback we weren't taking a survey or asking for advice.  Simply stating what is and venting our frustration.  Jumping onto another site wasn't what we had in mind- just stopping Airbnb all together if and when we're done with the nonsense.  Plans to market our rental on a local level w/out BS and more control over our rental income.

@Mandrake-And-Karen0  If you look at the main page of this community center, you will see that these are called Discussion Rooms. If you weren't interested in a discussion, why post here?

For sure if you can rent well privately, that is better than relying on a platform that has the ultimate authority.

We posted to inform others who may not be aware of how Airbnb handles reviews.  Also, interested in discussions on the issue itself and other's experiences if it's happened to them. Not asking for advise, affirmations or judgements. 

@Mandrake-And-Karen0  Perhaps next time you should just post in the Pontificate section of the Community Center.

@Kia272

Hah! I think that would be a great idea if there was one:)

@Mandrake-And-Karen0   You'll find that starting a thread doesn't make you the boss of it. 

If you just need an audience that you can micromanage for your own purposes, maybe start a blog, or shout into a pillow.

@Anonymous 

Guess that's true.  Starting your own snarkiness blog on those you feel are trying to micromanage a discussion- as opposed to gaining helpful information and shared experiences is also an option.

@Mandrake-And-Karen0 

“....interested in discussions on the issue itself and other's experiences if it's happened to them. Not asking for advise, affirmations or judgements.”

It’s ALL part of the discussion, and ALL of it can help new hosts. As soon as you post on a global public discussion forum, it ceases being just about you and your issue. It’s fruitless and distracts from the issue, to then micromanage the post. 

We don't post on this board much at all.  Thanks for pointing this out varied reasons for discussions purpose.  Snarkiness from others detracts from the issue.  That is what I was conveying.

@Mandrake-And-Karen0 I'll take snarky over rude any time. Snarkiness is a smarter more creative form of rudeness. You were rude: we were snarky 😆

@Kia272 

No energy or interest in competing or getting the last word.  We're all imperfect human beings not coming to these forums as mindful as can be.  All the best.

Inna22
Level 10
Chicago, IL

@Mandrake-And-Karen0 I am sorry we are not conforming to your expectations of our replies. Perhaps next time consider posting guidelines so we know what to say and what not to. All of these people have come to your post and took the time on how wonderful your reviews are. How about just a thank you? Three things that happened to you today that were great? No? I thought I'd try.

You should be more open minded to what posters have to say. I learn a lot here even though I consider myself a seasoned pro. Often one conversation leads to another and results in really useful changes to my listing, my approach, set up, communication etc. 

As to personal experience, as someone who does get negatives, mostly from guests who try to throw a party and are asked to leave (or perhaps because I am not a very good host), I have benefited from the sorting algorithm as it tends to hide the negatives.

@Inna22 Thanks for the parts that are constructive. I appreciate that feedback.

Guess there are upsides to some reviews good or bad whether they are posted on top or further below.

Best of bookings to you!