Security Deposit - where is the field?

Nicole2223
Level 7
Gouldsboro, ME

Security Deposit - where is the field?

Hello,

I'd like to understand a few things about security deposits with airbnb.  When I created my listings in 2020, there was a place to set a security deposit - when I edit my listing, I see no field where this can be altered.

After reading the post from 2021 titled "Airbnb No Longer Shows Amount Of Security Deposit" - I discovered it is in fact displayed in the Health and Safety information IF the viewer clicks 'show more'.  It's the absolute last thing in the list!  Very strange....BUT it does say that the guest must acknowledge the fee.

So my questions are these:

1.  Where is the field located now?

2. Does a guest ever see the security deposit when they are making a booking?

Beyond that, I'd like to understand whether this fee is serving any purpose at all.  If they don't know about, and they're not charged in advance for it (hold on credit card or however it's done), and we have to jump through hoops to claim any damage before getting paid....what is even meant by 'security deposit'?  I know one Host commented on the aforementioned thread about a deposit serving the purpose of at least encouraging the guest to leave the property in good shape and follow house rules.

I'd also like to hear from hosts that have had experiences with needing to withhold the so called security deposit - does it work any differently than reporting damages?  Thanks much!

5 Replies 5
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Nicole2223 

The security deposit can be set in menu "policy and rules", section "policies", item "security deposit"

Host required security security deposits are not actually charged on the guest.

More details:

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/140/security-deposits

I have no experience with them, as never had to file a damage claim.

Thank you!  Can't believe how many times I scoured the page and didn't see that.  And as it turns out, I think my other question is answered by the little bit of text that appears in that section after you click edit:

"If you submit a damage claim within 14 days of checkout, guests will be responsible for damages up to this amount."

So now I'd just like to understand what the guest sees with respect to this (assuming they don't think to drill down into the health and safety section).

Appreciate your response and link to the article.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Nicole2223  "I'd also like to hear from hosts that have had experiences with needing to withhold the so called security deposit"

You can't "withhold" something that isn't charged in the first place and which you have no access to.

Hello, I am also considering to add security deposit to my listings. After last guests, not they only trashed the place (brand new) also stole all my towels, beddings, robes, supplies. I called sheriff to report it at 12am night. They found them and demanded to return all items, otherwise they will charge with robbery.

Call POLICE if they stole your stuff, don't wait for Airbnb support.

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Nicole2223 

The Airbnb "security deposit" is merely an illusion. There simply is none, and so there's no guarantee you can access any deposit funds if needed. 

There is only one practical solution, and that is to vet your guests before they book, and if you don't feel comfortable with their responses, then scare them away. Demanding a security deposit will usually scare them off. And even then, if they agree to it, you can indeed collect a real deposit through the resolution center by "requesting money". Just be sure they've explicitly agreed to it on the airbnb message system beforehand. I've found that for the handful that actually agree, they've always left the house in extraordinarily good condition. 

If you have instant book, then turn on all filters; verified ID, profile photo, good review history. This is no guarantee, but it does tend to weed out the worst of them. 

Good luck, and watch your back.