Security deposit charged even after a claim has not been made

Latoyah0
Level 2
Stony Stratford, GB

Security deposit charged even after a claim has not been made

I was instructed by a member of Airbnb support via phone to accept security deposits through the website, as it would be most secure and they would only hold the money (appear as pending transaction) unless a claim for damage is made.

Shortly after my stay, I contacted Airbnb support via chat, they now informed me that although a claim has not been made after the date, I would receive my deposit after 10 - 14 days. 

It has only been 3 days later and the holding deposit has left my account completely. I spoke to a representative back on Airbnb support chat and they have no said because I accepted the money request I will NOT get the deposit back. Completely different information from what I have been told previously.

I then called Airbnb support and spoke to a lady called Michelle, who then said the money should not have left the account at all and I should be getting the deposit back. She also told me no claim has been made from the host. She then told me to double check with my bank and continue this report with the support chat representative online.

It seems like nobody has any answers as to why the deposit has left my account and all staff from Airbnb are giving me different answers.

I have not received any indication from the host or Airbnb that a claim has been made at all, even though I know there is none (I have video evidence of how I left the apartment). 

I WANT MY DEPOSIT BACK!!! OTHERWISE IM GOING TO TAKE THIS FURTHER!

7 Replies 7
Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

Sorry this doesn't make sense @Latoyah0 . Airbnb do not collect a deposit so there is nothing to return. They just put a hold against the amount against your payment method.

Can you explain what happened?

Did the host make a claim against you because of damages?

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/140/how-does-airbnb-handle-security-deposits

Latoyah0
Level 2
Stony Stratford, GB

Hiya, 

On the 19th Jan 2020 whilst in the apartment with the host, I called Airbnb as the Host was requested me to send them a security deposit to their personal account.

I did not want to do this, so I called Airbnb whilst in the hosts apartment on the 19th Jan.
I was instructed by a member of Airbnb that I should transfer the security deposit via Airbnb through the resolution centre, once the host requests it.

They told me I would be able to send it securely through Airbnb and that the £300 would not leave my account but would just be held until after my stay at the apartment if no claims have be reported.

I have successfully stayed at the apartment with no claims being made but it seems as though the £300 has left my bank completely. I have called to check and my bank has confirmed there is no pending transactions on hold.

I have consistently been getting mixed messages throughout the chat, I feel as though no-one is taking this support claim seriously and I am very upset with the service and lack of incorrect information I have been supplied by staff at Airbnb

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Latoyah0   

You said

• On the 19th Jan 2020 whilst in the apartment with the host, I called Airbnb as the Host was requested me to send them a security deposit to their personal account.

I have never heard of such thing before. What was the reason that the host requested You to send him a security deposit? Was that a private host or was the host an agency, a company who manages hundreds of listings?

In december 2018 You stayed at a place called Mirabilis Apartments, London, and this host left You this review:

• Unfortunately i would not recommend Latoya as a guest, her and her guests damaged lamps and created lots of noise and did not ahhere to the house rules.

Does that have anything to do with You being requested to provide a security deposit?

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

It appears shocking that Airbnb would advise you to pay a deposit to a host when you were staying at a listing, when this is against their T&Cs. @Latoyah0 

Are you sure they didn't ask you to pay damages via the Resolution Centre, which is not the same thing.

Hard to comment further seeing the message trail.

If you have it in writing from customer services that they were asking you to pay for a deposit through the Resolution Centre and no claim was made I suggest you post on their social media.

Danielle476
Level 10
Toronto, Canada

I'm having a hard time understanding this as well.  AirBNB allows hosts to set a security deposit at the time of booking - there would be no (legitimate) reason to ask you for one after you'd already checked in.  Additionally, AirBNB does not actually charge your card for the security deposit, or place a hold on it.  They simply retain your credit card information in case there was a claim made against you.  

In order for that deposit to be collected, the host would have sent you a request for money that you would have accepted or declined.  If declined, the host would have had to wait 72 hours before escalating it to a Customer Service representative with the Trust & Safety Department.  It would have likely taken them up to a week (after the initial 72 hour wait period) to settle that claim, and only then would your card have been charged.

It sounds to me like the host asked you for money (possibly for damages, as the previous poster suggests) and you accepted.  I think your only recourse at this point would be to contact your credit card company and dispute the charge through them.  I'm not sure that AirBNB would refund you the amount after you'd accepted it, but perhaps if you explained that you did not understand you'd actually be charged upon accepting, they would refund it.

Good luck.

Latoyah0
Level 2
Stony Stratford, GB

Hi All,

I have finally spoken to someone else on Airbnb who was able to explain the situation correctly.

The host requested an additional amount via the resolution centre for £300. He was advised on the phone by an Airbnb representative that this would be the most secure way to deposit a security deposit .

However, between the host and the Airbnb representative, it was clear there was some type of mis-understanding on both parts and I ended up accepting the request of £300.

The lady had who I have just spoken has reassured me that the host must transfer this back to me because there was no damaged but I'd have to wait until the 29th when it clears into their bank account. 

Going forward, she told me that I should not pay any security deposits before hand. If a host wants to make a claim they can do so with Airbnb. - This seems quite accurate to me. 

Hopefully the host is truthful to their word and I am able to receive my money back by the 29th.

Thank you all for your advice.  

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Latoyah0   

Thank You for replying.

What was the reason the host required an additional security deposit on site?

Latoya, I have been reading the german and english Community Center for 2 years, I have published 4000 posts and I am one ot the top Contributors in Germany. I have never ever read about a case, where a host would require a security deposit and the guest would actually pay that deposit and this deposit would be transferred into the airbnb bankaccount.

Was that a private host or was the host an agency, a company who manages hundreds ot listings?