Tell Me A Story...

Eileen462
Level 10
San Bernardino, CA

Tell Me A Story...

Hello Everyone!  I hope this day finds you well happy and prosperous!  I would LOVE to hear some stories of experiences you have had with guests that stand out in your mind?  We all learn from others!  Thank you for your likes and your reply.  Eileen

7 Replies 7
Angela1056
Top Contributor
Linarolo, Italy

Hi @Eileen462  Almost every day we read here about the various problems, small and large, that can arise with guests and so I want to tell you about my experience with these wonderful guests of mine.

Last  year here booked a Swiss couple, exquisite people, who had already come twice via Airbnb in recent years. This time they booked a week with Airbnb and another 3 weeks with a private contract for which I also had a substantial deposit in my hands.

When they arrived I showed them, to my regret, that at one point some tiles on the terrace had been raised so the floor was bumpy and it was a bit annoying to walk on it.

I had already called the tiler who had proposed solutions to me, expensive and for me unconvincing, and in any case not achievable in a short time. Even the family's "wise men”, the engineer, the geologist and the doctor, had no ideas or advice to give for a quick solution to the problem.

But my guests told me that it was not a problem for them and so I came home heartened and also with a box of Swiss chocolates (excellent !).

After a week, the wife writes to me and tells me that her husband, thinking of pleasing me, allowed himself to repair the uneven part of the terrace.

What??? I had to read twice to absorb the news.

And then I saw the photos! And believe me, maybe for the surprise, the amazement ... or for the age ... I got excited and tears came to my eyes. But what a job well done!

Angela1056_0-1696079918123.jpeg

Angela1056_0-1696080669311.jpeg

Angela1056_0-1696080361712.jpeg

His wife explains to me that he is not a tiler (he is an electrical engineer) but he has a talent for manual work and enjoys doing it and is also in love with our house. He already has in mind to renew the stucco of the French doors that is now coming to pieces.

Never in my life would I have thought that by renting the house, mostly to strangers, I would find people who were interested in the maintenance of this historic house and collaborate so actively and free of charge.

Now I'm thinking about how to show them our gratitude ...

@Angela1056   Hello!  How wonderful to hear this beautiful story!  And what a beautiful job he did for you and such a surprise!  I would give him some free days next time they are in town and maybe take them to a nice dinner or a gift cards for dining.  This is something to remember, and it goes to show how others appreciate what we have and share with them.  I would love to see pictures of your french doors before and after!  Smiles from the USA... Eileen

@Eileen462 

The plaster of the glass of the French doors of the kitchen has also been renovated during that vacation. Here too, a job done competently as the photos demonstrate:

Angela1056_0-1696107036718.jpeg

Angela1056_1-1696107036452.jpeg

Angela1056_2-1696107036452.jpeg

Angela1056_3-1696107036452.jpeg

He chose to use the linseed oil putty that was used at the time because it suits the house better. Since the house has more than 20 windows, all in need of intervention, they will still be able to come for many years …at least one week a year for free!

@Angela1056   How amazing this is!  They have an attachment to your home and thats so beautiful!  You have also probably made lifelong friends from another place.  I hope AIRBNB features your special story in some way, its worth telling and I am glad I asked this question!  Blessings,  Eileen

Hello @Eileen462 , I'm glad too you asked this question! I really feel blessed with these guests. It's a privilege to host them and yes, they are like dear old friends already. Next year they'll come again for 4 weeks...

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

What are your stories @Eileen462 

Mandrake-And-Karen0
Level 10
Silver Spring, MD

Hello Eileen, I am wondering- do you work for Airbnb or marketing company? Are you planning to use host stories in marketing/promotions/commercials of online blogs?

Just curious.  Thanks, in advance, for sharing your interests/intentions with content.