Thank you Brian Chesky & Airbnb

Michele511
Level 10
Santa Monica, CA

Thank you Brian Chesky & Airbnb

I see a lot of criticism on this community forum and I wanted to say something positive. I really appreciate Mr. Chesky’s talk today. I am not sure if I can stay a host with the minimal bookings and the lower rates, but I hope I can. I enjoy hosting even more than I thought I would

Airbnb has been a Godsend to me in my retirement. It has given me extra money, more space on my property, allowed me to meet so many wonderful people, many who have I keep in contact with and have come multiple time. I would miss this terribly.

So, @brianchesky, thank you for the updates. I look forward to hearing the cleaning solutions. And am praying I can hang in there financially until it gets going again!

@Lizzie

44 Replies 44
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Michele511 I wouldn't rush to lower my rates just yet. If people are travelling nationally rather than internationally there should be plenty of demand once stay at home orders are relaxed and the rates of infection are dropping.

Also lower rates (and very local people) seem to be recipes for poor guests causing trouble so probably not a good idea to encourage with the former.

Finally the Airbnb price suggestions are usually well under what our place rents for. I didn't trust them in normal times and I certainly don't trust them now when the algorithms can't take account of people not knowing when lockdowns will end. I foresee a surge of bookings once people in the UK can travel again but not before.

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Jane0 I can tell you as one Brit to another, I can't wait to book a weekend away somewhere in the UK. Hopefully before the baby is born!

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Stephanie Sunny Derbyshire awaits just as soon as Boris allows it

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Grew up in Rugby @Mike-And-Jane0 so we had a couple day trips around Derbyshire. Not to say I don't fancy it, it must be about 14 years since I've been up that way!

-----

John1902
Level 8
Aldeburgh, United Kingdom

@Stephanie 

Aldeburgh and the Suffolk Coast and Heaths AONB has it all Stephanie. Two hours from London, peace and quiet, big skies, loads of space, great views, nature, walking, good food and a socially distant stay and I can cater here for you either before or after baby comes easily.  

Shameless plug but we need the business!!!!!!!

Stay safe! And good luck with the baby 

John

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Oof @John1902 , I would love to spend a few days at the seaside. Can't wait to travel again!

-----

Good point. My rented for much more, as well. It’s just that I need the income. If I don’t start renting then I’ll need to rent out full time. I don’t look forward to that. 

Also, every inquiry I have received is asking for exactly what he was talking about. And I’ve already lowered the price significantly. So what he said rang true. 

I am very grateful with Airbnb and my purpose if God allows it to come out of this crisis is to travel to Spain and I always hope to do it with Airbnb since my apartment was rented only by this platform since all the guests have been selected perfectly, very educated, clean and executive for this reason if I travel I will rent Airbnb and I will be and would be willing to always work with this application, WE WILL CREATE ALL TOGETHER FUTURE. Thanks Airbnb for being here, firm

Yuan100
Level 10
Singapore

Hi @Michele511 

Appreciate your positivity here! I enjoyed my time as a host and would be sad if there is nobody staying with me as I am used to having someone else in the house. Rather than complaining, I guess if the guests are being opportunist (due to current situation) to ask for discount, I would accept it but no more than 50%. 

Airbnb changes my life in a lot of ways, I am forever thankful for this!

Yuan 

@Yuan100  i have lowered mine significantly for longer term stays. Everyone still wants the covid discount. It seems at least half of them are scammers.  And most of them don’t have reviews. I think we bees to be careful who we let come.  Keeping the price a little higher could weed out some bad eggs. 

@Michele511 I agree with keeping the price higher. You want quality guests. Normally my price is higher compared to those listed, and perhaps that's the reason why I've been having amazing guests.  I don't mind to lower down for longer stays especially during this period. The guest's profile already changed, a lot of locals if not tourists who are stranded. Now I asked a lot more questions before accepting. Yeah I am quite careful, I usually don't accept those without reviews. And if I sense it's a scammer I would just flagged it. Good to know that there are hosts who are still in high spirit! 😄 

Glad you are cautious, too @Yuan100

i am sometimes concerned that Rejecting someone without reviews will hurt my super host status. (I wish they wouldn’t do that.) But I have rejected a few. 

Fingers crossed here in Santa Monica!!!

Hi - I'm interested to know more about scammers.   What scams are people trying?  It would be good to know what to look out for.  Thanks!

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Michele511 and @Yuan100,

Lovely to see your comments here and that Airbnb means so much to you. Thank you so much for sharing this. 

I often think here in the Community Center, that it amazing to be able to speak with people based all over the world, people we may never have crossed paths if it wasn't for Airbnb. 

Keep hold of the nice memories you have with your guests and let's keep our fingers crossed that things around the world will get better soon. I feel very hopeful. 

In the mean time, are you keeping yourself busy with lots of things? Any jobs you couldn't get done whilst hosting?

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.