That special Airbnb sound is gone

Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

That special Airbnb sound is gone

My iPhone updated last night, and today, Airbnb notifications are accompanied by a sound just like any other notification.  Not that other sound that @Gordon0  mentioned recently.  Can't get that one back.  I liked it because it was different from all the other notification sounds so I knew it was an Airbnb message.  Has anyone else noticed this, and is there a way to fix it?

52 Replies 52

@Sarah977  I'm very sure it's something on Apple's end because it disappeared as soon as the iPhone updated.

Apple probably did something that doesn't "support" the sound.  If that's the case, we might be able to get it back.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Colleen253  @Gordon0  @Sarah977  @Ann72  @Fred13 

You are all telling me something!!!

I have never had a special sms tone for Airbnb, I have never been offered one or are aware of anyone else here who gets one. 

But it doesn't surprise me! I seem to have lost the only tangible asset I had of being a Superhost. I don't get preferential treatment when I phone support any more....I just go into the general phone queue like everyone else.  I keep on getting these emails telling me that my status gives me preferential contact-ability, but, the reality is, those days are gone!

It appears that Airbnb are the only company who publicly profess to be nothing other than a host/guest introduction service, no more! But privately control every aspect of their hosts business.....their hosts are in practice,  employees........but bound by a set of rules no employee would accept!   They just seem to keep on making up rules on the run completely contradicting their TOS which we, as hosts, will dutifully accept!

Cheers.......Rob

@Robin4  I think it's two different things- I get text notifications and they sound just like all the other text alerts on my phone. Then there are push notifications, which is something different- I think those are sent if you use the app? Maybe someone more techie than I (that would be almost everyone) would know.

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Ann72 @Fred13 I too was totally miffed by the loss of that "special" Airbnb ring notification last year ....and assumed it was because I got a different phone....I tried for weeks - with Airbnb, Verizon and no success - I have an android phone and my new Google pixel switch was great except for that omission. So it wasn't me or my phone after all - every tech person couldn't help me, no wonder, it was Airbnb. I did so like it being special. Dang

Aye @Clara116, it had a 'special' nice sound to it, somewhere between an old cash register and an old Bally slot machine when all the bells lined up in a straight line.

Helen427
Level 10
Auckland, New Zealand

@Ann72 @Clara116 @Robin4 and others, @Fred13  old cash register tunes sounds like an answer in these times.

Would do the world good to remind people cash & notes history for trade & that it's  very much legal tender that bonds us altogether whenever we are.

I recall when individual countries in Europe lost their "identity" with the demise of their heritage on notes & coins to that of the common as muck Euro.

Be aware of what UN are doing in the background.

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Ann72 

i do not own a mobile phone (and never did), so i am missing nothing.

@Emiel1 😂

Patricia55
Level 10
Newcastle upon Tyne, United Kingdom

@Ann72

Hi Ann

I was so miffed when my “ping” went missing that I contacted Airbnb support – they did try to help out, but couldn't get to the bottom of it.

So, as a workaround, I did this: downloaded the “ping” sound from Zelda(?) to My Files > Audio on my phone (android). Then assigned that notification sound to text messages from Airbnb. Tbh, I amazed myself that I even did it – doubt I could do it again 😉 But anyway, it worked.

Patricia55
Level 10

@Ann72 

You might find something suitable on this site: https://notificationsounds.com/

Patricia55
Level 10

Sorry, not Zelda, but Zedge: here's the proper sound: https://www.zedge.net/find/ringtones/airbnb

@Patricia55  Awesome intel, thank you so much!  Definitely going to try it!

Patricia55
Level 10

@Ann72  @Colleen253  Good luck!

@Patricia55  Yes that’s it!! I hope I can reapply it. Thanks for this 👍😄 

@Fred13 @Colleen253 @Gordon0  See above!