This is going to be a long stay, even tho it's only a three-dayer

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

This is going to be a long stay, even tho it's only a three-dayer

Two young guests have just arrived. I knew they arrived because they messaged me, not because they rang the doorbell (which is plain to see). 
My usual (brief) show-around was pretty much ignored and their body language said 'leave us'. I did so after pointing out the room manual (with WiFi code etc.) and being sure they knew how to operate my locks. The brand (Banham) is particular to London and a little different, so I always check. "Yes, we know how to use it" came the stern response.

Seven minutes later two-word message arrives in my inbox: "WiFi code?".
Followed by another message (three minutes after I answered the previous question): "Need bottled water and more toilet paper".
Then, as they're leaving, an almighty racket. Another message: "Lock broken, can't get out".
The lock wasn't broken. 'Operator error'.

All of this within 20 minutes of arrival. 

It's going to be a long weekend. 

Screenshot 2020-02-22 at 12.06.34.png

43 Replies 43
Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

Hi Ya, Sorry, You broke the lock. The accommodation cannot be used. Please get in touch with Airbnb customer services for alternative accommodation whilst we arrange to get the lock fixed

Mike-And-Helen0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Gordon0 wow that is disrespectful! Are these Brits?

Chinese girls, but I don't doubt these types come in all nationalities, @Mike-And-Helen0.

Ian-And-Anne-Marie0
Level 10
Kendal, United Kingdom

@Mike-And-Helen0 

From @Gordon0 's other post yesterday, I think they're actually two girls ?!

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Gordon0  Sounds like a stiff drink is in order.

Having raised 3 daughters, I'm quite familiar with the "Yeah, yeah, Mom, I know, you don't have to tell me, I'm not a little kid anymore", generally followed some time later by "How is this supposed to work?"

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Very stiff, @Sarah977.

@Sarah977 And I thought I was alone. 

Cathie19
Level 10
Darwin, Australia

Some days and stays,  @Gordon0, are longer than others. I think that’s because some guests come across from a parallel universe..........   So sending patience and positive vibes.

(What a shame we can’t find that parallel entry gate and close it! Lol....)

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

The weekend continues with me on tenterhooks every time they come and go. They're making such a kerfuffle with the bedroom lock too. I mean, it's like any other lock. You puts your key in and turn it. But no. Keys rattling against the (freshly painted) door.

And slamming of doors like never before, so much so one of my paintings is now hanging wonky on the wall.

They were out at 7am this morning. I'm imagining/hoping it's a long day trip, perhaps to Harry Potter world (or whatever it's called), or even better, a Stonehenge-Oxford-Bath combo.

Only another two nights to survive.   

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Gordon0 

According to what I have read in this community.... it is a blessing that your electric keetle have not been used to cook rice 🙂

Gordon0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Noodles once before, @J-Renato0. I haven't had the rice treatment yet [crosses fingers tightly].

Helen350
Level 10
Whitehaven, United Kingdom

Funny how reading these boards @Gordon0 the Chinese seem to fall at both extremes of the polite,respectful, sweet guest spectrum.... I hope they haven't flooded your bathroom..... Slamming doors seems a recurrent theme here on hashtag Chinese, I seem to recall..... I sympathize.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

Do doors in China have to be slammed hard to latch? Just wondering. Of the cultures I've come in contact with, Mexicans, Americans and Chinese tend to be quite loud. I've had to move tables in a nice restaurant here because the Americans at the next table were basically yelling, in loud booming voices, even though there were only 4 people at their table. The entire restaurant had to listen to their conversation.

@Sarah977 I was raised in a place where children were always told not to slam the doors. And so after arriving in Australia I was surprised to discover that the preferred method to close doors here seems to be slamming them. Most people do it and no-one objects. It’s awful and I don’t get it. Why is it necessary? And doesn’t it occur to anyone that it might be a bad idea especially at 6am or late at night.