Verification code sent

Jack154
Level 3
Houston, TX

Verification code sent

I keep getting text messages that say, “Your Airbnb verification code is ####. Don't share this code with anyone; our employees will never ask for the code.” 
Why? I’m not trying to log in or anything. I wish Airbnb didn’t allow the use of phone numbers as a way to log into the app (in which case you would get this message). Is someone trying to hack me? -Jack

99 Replies 99
Justin1189
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I am also getting this sent to me coming from 22395. Started on 2/1/2021 at 12:20 pm and sent to me several times. 

Jennifer1897
Level 10
Irvine, CA

I am getting them as well, at an average of two per day.  This has been happening for about 2 weeks. 

I keep attempting to block the number, however when I do, I later get the same text from a different number. A bit annoying to say the least, hope it's corrected soon. 

Tina14
Level 2
New York, United States

Following this thread now.  I have also experienced the same thing for a week now.  I keep changing my password, but sounds like I don't really need to?  I'm getting the texts from both 22395 and 78156.  It really has me disturbed that someone was trying to hack my account!

Kristin1082
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

OK I guess I'm kind of glad I'm not the only one getting these messages. I was going to send in a help request - and that seems to be wholly unsatisfying. I have yet to have a help request to AirBnB actually end with a problem being resolved.

Rosana173
Level 2
Beverley, United Kingdom

Same here UK, I’ve received two messages verification code and tried contact Airbnb and there is no way of doing this at the mo. It’s really disappointing as it looks like a breach of security.

Jessica2159
Level 2
New York, United States

Bandwagon: I'm getting them too.  Have been for over a week.

Jessi Prahl
Ann72
Level 10
New York, NY

Don't forget we've got the new "activity" link in the dropdown under our photos where we can see all actions taken on our accounts.  Because no one appears to be hacked it definitely seems like a security breach on Airbnb's end.  Annoying and unnerving nevertheless.  I got a fourth one today.

Linda-And-Richard0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

I have received these verification code texts for the last three days, starting Sunday,  Feb. 7th.  Each were at different times of the day, different code but all ended with qkpTe1dyOzl.  I messaged Katie in Admin about these and she suggested to read the threads on the CC. 

@Linda-And-Richard0 All of my texts I am receiving end with the exact same thing.  I continue receiving them on a daily basis.  Katie’s advice to read the threads is not very helpful as none of us understand why this continues to occur.  Maybe she just wanted you to know that you’re not the only people experiencing this?  

I’m wondering if enough of us reported fraudulent texts to the FTC, they, (the FTC), will look into this.  As per Airbnb, they are not legitimate.  https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/form/main  

It would be awesome to see @Airbnb held accountable for once instead of getting away with their usual lame excuses.  If this was ANY other company that was responsible for accepting and paying out money, you can bet the public outcry would be massive!!  As this is just happening to a “few” Airbnb hosts, they will assume they can get away with not addressing the problem.

Julieanna
Julieanna0
Level 10
San Antonio, TX

@Jack154 , @Mark3566 , @Mary4286 , @Gary-And-Pamela0 , @Edward467 , @Quana7 , @Nicole2302 , @Elisabeth40 , @Kerri28 , @Lisa5873 , @Tom229 , @Justin1189 , @Ann72 , @Jennifer1897 , @Tina14 , @Kristin1082 , @Jessica2159 , @Linda-And-Richard0 

I have just finished filing a report with the FTC, and would encourage everyone in the US to file a report as well:  https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/assistant,  After all, part of their duty, as stated on their website is to protect us from, at the very least, bad business practices.  I think we should all be concerned that these texts are the result of some sort of Airbnb hack.  As we know, our personal and financial information is tied to our phone numbers on file with Airbnb.  If enough people file a complaint with the FTC, at least it will bring a fresh and unbiased set of eyes to this potentially harmful problem.  If Airbnb has been hacked, there is no telling where our information will end up or how it will be used.  Airbnb's answers of "We don't know" or "It's a test" or "Just block the texts" are all unacceptable and would NEVER BE ACCEPTED by the general public were this another company such as PayPal for example.  Airbnb is a platform that has access to our financial information as well as our personal information.  They should be held to the same standards as any other company out there!!  A "support ambassador" telling us to go read the comments on this community forum, IS NOT A SOLUTION!!   If something malicious has been installed or your phone has been infected, this will affect ALL of the information and apps on your phone; not just Airbnb's app.

Don't be intimidated as you start to fill out the FTC form here:  https://reportfraud.ftc.gov/#/.   Simply select "something else" in order to progress to the next page.  Mine is now filed and at least I feel better that I have done something rather than sit around and accept Airbnb's pathetic excuses or explanations,--if they can even be called explanations as it doesn't appear that they know what's going on.

We use reports to investigate and bring cases against fraud, scams, and bad business practices....
Julieanna

@Julieanna0, Just completed the form! More generally, I am not sure why AirBnB offers such poor customer service to its hosts; it's actually why we now do most of our business through VRBO. We just got tired of being fed lies by customer service reps. Thanks for your diligence! Kris

So glad to hear @Kristin1082 !  Hopefully everyone else will follow through as well.  I actually mentioned in my report to the FTC that Airbnb is notorious for misleading and lying to their hosts, so unfortunately can't be counted on to give an honest answer.  Thank YOU for your diligence too!  

Julieanna
Tina14
Level 2
New York, United States

I have now filed my report. Hoping for a resolution!  Thank you fellow hosts for being here.  Thankfully we have this community!

Do we have here some professional programmers among us/hosts? Or someone who can explain to us what it is? If Airbnb is not telling us what it is, is here someone who may know what that can be?

@Elisabet40  I'm not a professional programmer, however, I've spent years developing websites, so have had the occasion to work with different people in the tech world.  No one I've spoken with thinks this is something that should be ignored.  Something is triggering these texts to be sent,--and sent to YOU as opposed to your neighbor.  

Again, Airbnb's statement that they're "working on it" doesn't protect any of us.  What Airbnb counts on is that we will be good little "sheople" (er, I mean hosts!), and believe their stupid, (and I mean stupid!), and irrational explanations for this.

The rational mind says there is no reason that we should be getting these texts with zero explanation. (Oh,--OTHER than someone has been hacked!)  Also, the rational mind says Airbnb's MO is to cover things up and lie to everyone until their hand is forced.  

Also, I can't imagine that any professional programmer would presume to explain exactly what "this is" without being allowed to "see" the problem in its entirety.   Can you imagine Airbnb exhibiting that kind of transparency?!??  I can't.  

Response from a programmer friend re the unexplainable texts.Response from a programmer friend re the unexplainable texts.

Julieanna