Warning to New Hosts - Secondary Reservations

Janica4
Level 2
Lehi, UT

Warning to New Hosts - Secondary Reservations

Learn from my mistake.  Do not accept secondary reservations.

Dean made a reservation for his 35 y.o. granddaughter Noelle and indicated he would pay.

Initially Noelle was a fine guest however as time went on, caught her breaking house rule of no shoes indoors several days in a row + noticed the house door was left unlocked several times.

The house key returned after her departure was not the one provided - looked like a copy + was on a completely different keychain.

Turns out Noelle is a felon + court-mandated to undergo drug rehab therapy after she spray painted the courthouse that served her an eviction notice.  Her grandparents have custody of her daughter and refuse to let her stay with them.

Prior review under Dean’s profile note Noelle lost keys to the Airbnb she said at just prior to mine.

I now have to eat the cost of replacing the locks on the house doors.

Lesson learned - NEVER TAKE SECONDARY RESERVATIONS AGAIN.

3 Replies 3
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Lesson well learned. Sorry you had to learn it the hard way.😒

Janica4
Level 2
Lehi, UT

*Noelle lost keys to the Airbnb she *stayed* at just prior to mine.

Thank you for the empathy, Pat 🙂

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Janica4  Yes, you should never take 3rd party bookings. Even if the person who actually stays isn't a terrible guest, quite often they haven't read any of the listing description, house rules, etc. 

And Airbnb will not support you on a third party booking if there are issues.

It should have been a huge red flag that a 35 year old was unable to open an Airbnb account and book for herself.  

Lots of learning curve for new hosts.