Water from a private source (Scotland)

Mirna65
Level 1
Glasgow, United Kingdom

Water from a private source (Scotland)

Hi,

We recently rented a property with water from a private source, which means that the water was brown. The house owner advised us that it is good for cooking, but not so good for drinking. The water was consistently brown.

The question is if she is supposed to disclose the information about the water on her property webpage, perhaps in "Things to know" section? I believe that we should have right to make our own mind regarding renting the property based on this information. Or am I wrong? 

Two small water bottles were provided, and for the duration of our stay we were buying our own water.

3 Replies 3
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Mirna65  Yes, the host should really mention this in the listing. You don't say how long your stay was, but if it was several weeks or more, many hosts discount longer term bookings, and provide "starters" for guests, like a few bottles of water, enough toilet paper for the first few days, etc, and guests are expected to provide for themselves after that.

Did the host offer any explanation for why the water is brown, or did you ask? There maybe nothing at all unsafe about it, it might just have a high iron or other harmless mineral content. So while it might not taste that great, and be visually unappealing, it might not actually be dangerous to drink. If that's the case, then maybe the host didn't think it necessary to mention in the ad. If she's a newish host, it's often hard to anticipate what might bother guests, especially if it's something the host is used to and doesn't consider any big deal, and to then make sure to include the info in the listing info.

I would suggest that you send her a private message saying that she should include the water info in her listing ad.

Brian2036
Level 10
Arkansas, United States

@Mirna65 

There are many places in the world where you just do not drink the tap water unless you want to spend a great deal of time in the bathroom.

I avoid drinking tap water in any large city. That water has been used by other people. Recently.

I have stayed in many expensive hotels where the water was not potable. They provided one bottle of drinking water per guest at check in and if you want more you can buy it from them or go to the store and pay half as much.

We have some of the cleanest well water in the world here but certain people refuse to believe that and demand bottled water.

They don’t get it from me.

M199
Level 10
South Bruce Peninsula, Canada

Also, what are the local safe water regulations?  We provide public health tested safe drinking water.  If our water would be "brown",  I would suspect silt or bacteria.  I have a complete clean water system that eliminates any possible bacteria and is tested every 3 months with public health even though we have a high end UV filter that kills every bacteria. Personally, because I am confident in my well water safety, I confirm to all guests that the water is clean ansd and health department tested.