Weight reviews by length of stay

Paul8503
Level 1
Jacksonville, FL

Weight reviews by length of stay

Why are reviews not weighted by length of stay?  Why should a 1 night stay count as much as a 99 day stay?

9 Replies 9
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

@Paul8503 

That is a good idea, you could sent it to AirBNB

Annie
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Paul8503 

I agree. I would much prefer them to be weighted. 

@Paul8503   Interesting premise. I think it would be very unpopular with hosts, though. If reviews were weighted this way, it would be impossible for your ratings to recover from a long-term stay that didn't end perfectly (e.g. a damage claim). Let's be honest here, people always want a thumb on the scale when it benefits them and cry injustice the minute it doesn't. 

As a guest, if I were booking somewhere for 1 night, I'd find the short-stay reviews more relevant than those from long-term tenants. It would be nice to be able to customize the ordering of reviews the way some other sites do (Google, Amazon, etc). This would also be unpopular with hosts, though, as one feature would inevitably be displaying the lowest ones first.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

@Paul8503 fix the review system before you weight it , at the moment it is like a coffee shop report. Did you like the coffee?  Would you have it again? Did you like the shop ?Was our waitress nice to you?Will you be back ?Tell your waitress why you hate her , and remember to leave a review . Five stars if you like us ?*****Smiley face. One free coffee after you purchase five  H

Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

@Paul8503 

If length of stay is also displayed a the review, it makes it more valuable .

Kai829
Level 2
Del Mar, CA

asd

Kia272
Level 10
Takoma Park, MD

@Paul8503 The quality of a property is just as relevant for a one night stay as a 99 day stay. It's based on what you've promised and what you've delivered. 

All of the things hosts are rated on, including cleanliness, check-in, accuracy, location, communication and value shouldn't change with the length of the stay. 

My two cents. Kia

@Kia272   Cleanliness is a funny variable here. If an Entire Home property isn't clean at the end of a 99 day tenancy, it's certainly not the host's fault. And I wouldn't put much stock into someone's Accuracy rating when they last viewed the listing months ago. 

Perhaps a different set of review criteria would better suit long-term stays. This is one more reason I think they should have a different platform with different features.

It of course was more complicated.  I think the main reason we got 4 stars is they asked to book the day of arrival and asked if we could move a TV from one room to another that was wired into a whole house stereo and of course the internet.  We politely declined and ended up with our first non 5-star review.  Now we will forever be in the realm of 4.9.... 🙃