What local food would you recommend if I visited your town?

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

What local food would you recommend if I visited your town?

I'm really interested in local cuisine. I love trying new snacks and dishes, and i’m also particularly drawn to different types of fruits. What local food would you recommend if i visited your town?

38 Replies 38

I'll be waiting for you @Laurelle3 🙂 

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

This is the most enticing so far. I love your porch btw!🤩🤩🤩🤩

The one at my listing @Bea2137?  Thank you!  It’s very hard to leave.  Come over with @Laurelle3 and we’ll hang out there 😊😊😊

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Ann72  I know I should stop but my mind is wandering thinking it could be a meet up for interested hosts wanting a holiday.

But this then could be called a party which is against the rules. 

I can only dream!

I would love it.  We can dream it into reality!  Pish-tosh on that party policy 😂

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

I really hope we can one day have a global meet-up for hosts. 

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Yes. The one on your listing. I wishlisted it!

Thanks @Bea2137!

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

Hello @Bea2137 😊

I just had to join in after reading this fun thread! It's great to see Hosts sharing their local foods. It really helps us learn more about places we've visited or hope to visit 🌍.

Right now, I'm in Port Moody (Canada) and one dish I can't get enough of is Poutine. It's French fries with gravy and cheese curds 😋.  Trust me, it's a must-try for anyone looking to an authentic Canadian food experience.

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Omg yes i love poutine. I cook it with A LOT of cheese, my friends would joke, “Where are the potatoes?” Hahahahahahaha!

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

@Paula I am a fan of hot chips (french fries for some) Forget the gravy and cottage cheese (cheese curd.) I will just have the fish. 

Interesting how language is different in different countries.

But @Bea2137  I do like sticky rice cooked with coco milk and raw cane sugar wrapped up in babana leaves where we first tried in the Phillipines.

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

Lmk when you come again. I’ll prepare a good one for you! We have plenty of versions of it in different regions. I can cook some from my region.

Gilberto213
Level 1
Provincia de Guanacaste, Costa Rica

A Culinary Tour: The Hidden Gems of Guanacaste, Costa Rica. 

Guanacaste, a province known for its sun-kissed beaches and vibrant festivals, holds a secret that few outside its borders know: it's a culinary goldmine. As a passionate Costa Rican chef and researcher, I've had the privilege of delving deep into the heart of Guanacaste's culinary traditions, and I'm here to share some of its most cherished dishes.

Arroz de Maiz: A Time-Honored Tradition

Corn, a staple in many Central American diets, takes on a special role in Guanacaste cuisine. But no dish celebrates it quite like the "arroz de maiz." This slow-cooked corn and chicken stew is a testament to the region's agricultural heritage. The process of removing the corn's skin, known as "cascar," using a traditional tool called "Pilón," is an art in itself. Infused with local spices like culantro coyote, achiote, and cumin, this dish is so iconic that many travel enthusiasts and foodies seek out when visiting Costa Rica.

More than just a meal, it's a tradition that's becoming rarer with time, preserved by a few masterful hands.

Tortillas Palmeadas: The Art of Handmade Tortillas

For those searching for authentic Costa Rican breakfast dishes, "tortillas palmeadas" is a must-try. These hand-tossed corn tortillas, reminiscent of the artistry of Italian pizzaiolos but with a unique Guanacaste twist, are often paired with local dips like "Natilla" and "Cuajada." Accompanied by sides like "platano maduro" and avocados, it's a gastronomic journey that showcases the best of Costa Rican breakfast traditions.

Picadillo de Chilote: Celebrating Baby Corns

"Chilotes," or baby corns, are a unique harvest of Guanacaste farmers. Picked in their early growth stage, they form the heart of the "Picadillo de chilote." This dish, a pan-fried medley of onions, peppers, and local spices, celebrates the tender, juicy chilotes. Often served alongside rice for lunch, it stands tall with other classics like picadillo de vainica and picadillo de pipián.

Guanacaste's culinary scene is a rich tapestry of flavors, traditions, and stories. At The Road Less Traveled Cuisine, we take pride in showcasing these hidden gems in our tasting menus, inviting diners to embark on a gastronomic journey that's as rich in history as it is in flavor. As we champion food tourism in Guanacaste, we invite you to savor these dishes and many more, each telling a story of the land and its people.

Bea2137
Level 10
Las Piñas, Philippines

OMG 🤤🤤🤤🤤

Paula
Community Manager
Community Manager
Port Moody, Canada

I agree, @Bea2137! That sounds delicious, @Gilberto213 😛. Thanks so much for sharing! My favourite is Picadillo de Chilote 👌

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad