Why asking guests to pay a security deposit after the damage is done doesn’t work

Dawn241
Level 10
Sierra Vista, AZ

Why asking guests to pay a security deposit after the damage is done doesn’t work

They simply say no I’m not paying. Come on Airbnb you need to side with the hosts on this. 

6 Replies 6
Annie1372
Level 10
Montreal, Canada

Hello @Dawn241 

do you have any details about your situation as I do not understand what happened to your house

Annie
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Dawn241 

Make them pay it first. 

1. In the vetting process, if you feel uncomfortable with the guest (e.g., group of under 25's) then tell them you'll need a security deposit of x$ (don't be afraid to make it high - 500,750,1000...). If they don't agree, don't accept the booking. You don't want it. Really. 

2. If they accept the security deposit, then let them book it. Immediately after booking: resolution center: request money: agreed amount. Reason: other trip related issues. 

3. They pay it. If not, cancel and take the hit. 

4. If all is good at checkout time (it usually is,  with a deposit), then give it back in full. Your choice of how.. In cash, or you can "send money" back through the resolution center. 

We do it routinely whenever the guest exhibits a high risk profile. And so far, the place has always been left in rather pristine condition.

Without a security deposit, there's absolutely no incentive for them to avoid nasty "after the party" surprises. 

Good luck... 

Sandra3597
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

I make every guest pay a deposit. I put it in my house manual and rules so they can see it before they book my listing.

"We require a picture of your ID (if one is not provided with airbnb) and a $xxxx deposit to protect against house rule violations that will be refunded at the end of your stay.
Deposit is not included in the booking amounts. It will be requested two days before check in."

SandraIrbnb
Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Sandra3597 

How often are you booked?

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

I really thought that ABB did not allow hosts to collect deposits outside of those listed  that are never really collected....Maybe someone can share the latest and greatest?  I was always under the impression that collecting additional payment from a guest for a stay as a guard against possible damage was against the TOU. I could be mistaken. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Laura2592 

Maybe it is against the rules. But I won't accept risky bookings (also something Airbnb penalises you for declining) without a security deposit. 

But that's not the main reason I require a deposit from certain guests. It's intended to scare them away. And it works equally well for that. When it doesn't, then they have to put up the deposit. Simples.