Why is this website SO SLOW?!

Answered!
Isabelle-Gerry0
Level 8
New York, NY

Why is this website SO SLOW?!

Airbnb's website/platform is one of the worst I've experienced. 

It feels like every time I click on something I have to walk away for coffee and by the time I come back, I forget what I was doing! It's SO slow. The calendar is a mess. The pricing is a mess. I have to click through a bunch of things to get to something so basic. And sometimes... I'll update prices and availability... and hit save and..... IT WON'T SAVE.

😐 You'd think a billion (??) dollar business would be able to have a website that works. And the burden of the torture is on the hosts which is probably why they don't care to fix it all these years.

1 Best Answer
David2129
Level 5
San Diego, CA

I also experience very slow responses to any actions I take on the site. I've never seen a modern website with such a sluggish response. It feels like dial-up days.

View Best Answer in original post

146 Replies 146
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

Well I don't know what to say, I find the site as fast as any other...pages load within 2 seconds max and most of the time in less than a second and this is an old computer now....an HP 'all in one', 2012 vintage using Windows 7 home premium. It's an Intel Core M430 @ 2.27 Ghz with a 64-bit operating system so by todays standards it is a bit of a dinosaur....but it works fine! So I can't find a fault with either the computer of the Airbnb program

I find everything about the Airbnb site to be of acceptably speed, I do however give it the best opportunity to run quickly .......I don't have 20 pages open at a time. I will close out of threads before jumping into new ones.

A lot of the time these days my feeling is there are such masses of working resources available that we have become lazy and just jump from one item to another without giving a thought to how much information is running in the background.

I do take on board what @ Sarah has said about other sites being much quicker but I think her mass of activity here would be the reason she finds this issue with Airbnb.

Cheers.....Rob

Robin- Incorrect assumption. I never have anything at all running in the background when I am on any site including this one.  I never have multiple tabs open and nothing is downloading in the background- I am on a metered connection, so my computer is set to never do automatic updates, etc. 

Roy92
Level 1
California, United States

I just started hosting this week and I agree it is SLOW! I dipped my toe into web development last year and found out that AirBnb is built using Ruby on Rails, which is a pretty slow technology. I experienced similar issues when I built a site using Ruby on Rails. 

Incredibly slow even with 100 mbps internet and multiple high end Macs.  I'd like to double the amount of units that I host on Airbnb but juggling so many calendars at such a slow speed sounds pretty unpleasant.  I really hope they work on this...!

Ned-And-Laura0
Level 10
Simi Valley, CA

This is strange to read.  So many people saying how slow the site it, but I have had no issues with speed.  Calendar and inbox and all other pages load instantly for me.  And I have just a regular old laptop thats over a year old.  Every now and again I get the spinning circle for maybe 2 or 3 seconds, but usually pages load instantly or less then 1 second.  Sending messages, updating the settings, etc, all work pretty quick.   Maybe you need to clear out your cache or too many cookies?  Or perhaps this site works better with different browsers?  I use Chrome.

@Ned-And-Laura0 and @Martin709 I have been getting Error Code: 500 with the ice cream girl on and off all day. I also got the site can not load a bunch of times. I actually thought it was my comuter and rebooted only to still get both. So today is a really slow day for me with the CC. 

Linda941
Level 2
Anchorage, AK

The only problem I have is with the calender.  On my Iphone especially I can wait forever for it to load.  Not as bad on my laptop but somedays it takes forever.  I can go to another website, no problem. I can go to Porter and download the calender faster there, than on Airbnb.

It's painfully SLOW.  Ridiculously slow.  I've tried adding my home on 3 different computers, using different platforms, and get the same hang times. It froze up 2 of my systems! And no, no other tabs were open, cache is cleaned regularly and all 3 are quiet new with excellent capabilities.   I think for the few who it ISN'T slow are the anomaly .  I, too, Googled this and wound up here.  And no, doesn't look like ABB monitors here, nor fixes the issue. I finally gave up and used another website.  

Michelle1124
Level 1
Ottawa, Canada

I agree completely. I work from home from this computer and deal with websites all day for work. I literally normally have about 5 tabs open with some tabs pinned as well and never run into slow speeds until I come to this website. 

I find it happens after a bit of time on the website. My recommendation would be to refresh the page and hope it still has all your filters active once it reloads. 

Hopefully they fix it ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

SpringVillas0
Level 1
Portimão, Portugal

Unfortunately Airbnb website is indeed very slow and sluggish to nowaday standards. Not sure which frameworks drives their website (php, ruby or whatever) but even if they are using a slow one, their problem probably lies on the lack of scalability of their platform. They likely need to invest on additional load balancers and additional servers to cope with the great amount of requests and/or on higher bandwidth throughput.

Manuel514
Level 1
Burke, VA

I haven't been on in a number of months but...WOW!  WHAT THE HELL IS GOING ON WITH THESE SLOW-LOADING PHOTOS???  It feels like my computer has completely frozen and I have to close up additional windows - but then that doesn't even help!!!  The only way to get around it is to "view all photos" and you get these 1 inch - squared size photos.  Come on, airbnb.

Chas1
Level 1
San Francisco, CA

I've been using AIRBNB since 2010 on countless browsers, computers and connections.  Currently using University of California fiber and the site is still as slow as it has ever been.  It's such an embarrassment.  I'm curious how the few people on this thread who get instantaneous response (sub second) 100% of the time do it?  I have the latest hardware running on one of the highest speed connections in the country and I feel like I'm working on a dial-up connection (9600 baud).  

Shakito0
Level 1
Tbilisi, Georgia

I have same problema, it takes forever for any action. I already hate this site

David2952
Level 1
New York, NY

Agreed -- embarrasingly slow.

Jeff472
Level 1
Provo, UT

Seriously, both the website and the app are GARBAGE! Super annoying to use because of the slow speeds and it has problems and errors ALL THE TIME! hands down the least pleasant to use of any app I've used.