aircover

Chris17011
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

aircover

Hello, 

I'm at a loss. I'm a superhost with airbnb and a guest utterly trashed my place back in May (They left garbage to leak on my wooden floors which stained them irreparably, then proceeded to wash the entire place in bleach (and let it sit!) which turned my Scandinavian white floors yellow and lifted most of the floorboards. They also ripped up my coffee table, soiled all my linens (then proceeded to try and wash them in the washer with a weighted blanket which fried the machine and it now needs to be replaced), broke the cooktop, chipped my beautiful quartz island in multiple places, put bleach on all my cupboards leaving deep stains in them, then cut my lamp wires (like why), and made holes in both my couches and left a piss stain on one of them. There were also other people in the condo when I got back, and what looked to be filming equipment and significantly more luggage than what he'd brought. 

I've been sleepless over this, and incredibly anxious, and I feel like airbnb is not rushing to my aid like they should. I had to beg a contractor to come a certify the damages (I live in Montreal, and there is a serious worker shortage and no contractor wants to come/has time to come and certify damages even if you pay for a receipt). Miraculously I got it, then sent it over, only to get an adjuster to come over, certify everything again, and send it off to airbnb. They approved the contractors receipt, but i've been in the dark and unable to get an update or anything from airbnb since. All I can get is someone to escalate the matter to no avail. I'm quite an anxious person, and this has never happened before, and I can't afford the damages. I also can't reopen my bookings until my condo is cleaned up because all the guests complain that nothing is working i.e washing machine, cooktop, the linens aren't upto standard, they notice my floors, the coffee table and everything else. I can't stop crying over this, I'm getting no sleep and no help from airbnb. At this point should I be going through small claims court against airbnb? I was under the impression that aircover had me covered, and that this would be a seamless process if ever a nightmare like this happened. And it did. And I'm left in the dark. And I'm a superhost on top of that. I really need help. Is there an ombusmand number? Or someone higher I can reach out to? I need all the help I can get. I'm really desperate at this point. This is a horror story. 

14 Replies 14
Anthony-And-Louise0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

We had just £300 of damage to a hot tub cover which the guest admitted causing in writing on Airbnb messaging. We heard nothing back from Airbnb until an email telling us we had 24 hours to upload docs for aircover that we had already uploaded. The next day we got a call from an Airbnb claims agent saying not to worry about that email, we would definitely be paid, she was just going to call the guest and negotiate how much he would pay and how much Airbnb would pay. She would call me back after that to confirm. Never called back then a few days later an email telling us our claim was rejected. Loads of calls to Airbnb support later, nobody can help, we can't speak to claims dept, only request calls back that never come. Wasted about 5 hours on phone/hold... Then an email from a new agent two weeks ago saying they're dealing with the case. Wrote back asking for explanation of what's going on. No reply, no news, no calls... Glad it's nowhere near as bad as original post here, but live in fear of a similar situation... Horrible 

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Chris17011 

I'm so sorry to hear about this experience.

Can you please let me know if you've ever heard back from Airbnb support about your claim?

Jenny

You're invited to our 6th Month of Celebration!  Join the party by clicking here!
Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click
start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

Michelle3154
Level 1
Winston-Salem, NC

Hello,

Can you help when claims are being ignored?  

José1813
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi, my attorney is taking a class lawsuit again airbnb and aircover misleading and poor claim handling. 

Pls provide your email in the google doc below

I do share similar story. After 3 months of calling airbnb after a loss, they denied today saying that I never replied to an email that I never received. 

It is very frustating for a $100bilion company not to have a dedicated line for claims. 

**[Link removed in line with the Community Center Guidelines] - Please note that it is not allowed to collect data on the Community Center.

Michelle3154
Level 1
Winston-Salem, NC

Hello,

I'm curious as to if you got resolution.  I thought I rented to one individual, and she clearly had a party, moved furniture, broke art and several other things.  I put a claim in for $3k and need to settle on these repairs.  Airbnb called her and I received $472.00.  I've been calling 4x a day for 6 days and every agent says the same thing "we've escalated, someone will call".  By the time they call I'll be out of business.  To make it so bad I am booked though the New Year..   How do I get my money?  Who do I call?  How do they just ignore you like this?  

Anthony-And-Louise0
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Hi, we've just made a claim through the small claims court here in the UK. Think it's a pretty solid case but time will tell. Don't know if there are similar things in other countries... 

Jenny
Online Community Manager
Online Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @José1813 

I'm sorry to hear that your claim was denied due to you not replying to an email.  Have you contacted Airbnb Support directly to appeal the decision?

Jenny

You're invited to our 6th Month of Celebration!  Join the party by clicking here!
Can’t find what you’re searching for?
Click
start a conversation to ask the Airbnb Community! 

Tamara682
Level 6
null

So very sorry for such awful people! At this point, I would have to call my own insurance and turn it over to them. I would also let them know there is coverage under Airbnb's policy and let them go after Airbnb.
Your experience is everyone's worse nightmare.
I'll keep you in my prayers.

M199
Level 10
null

@Chris17011 

Sorry to hear about to here about your experience.

Airbnb won't help you.  By the sounds of it this is likely a commercial insurance claim. Hopefully 🤞, you have coverage.

Sudsrung0
Level 10
Rawai, Thailand

The good thing about living in Thailand, I am Thai also the police would have my back the police dont like foreigners who think they can come here and do what they want. It would be classed as criminal damage, They would be missing their flights for sure.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Same here in Belize @Sudsrung0 . I well remember when I lived in the U.S., there were so many laws and invented individual rights (many abusive toward others),  it was hard to press for justice on many occasions. The squatter's rights in the U.S. takes the cake.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

"There were also other people in the condo when I got back,.."

Perhaps best not rent out the place if no one is going to keep an eye on it while you are gone.

Vanessa1669
Level 3
Claremore, OK

This is my worst nightmare and I’m so sorry you’re going through this and not being supported! Makes me wonder if we will all run into the same issue as hosts. I would seek legal counsel / advice. 

Vanessa Mullings
Meehyun0
Level 2
California, United States

The Superhost M199 below flat out says Airbnb will not help this poor host.  I have similar experiences but not to the extent this host is going through.  

Airbnb had bigger issues if they renegades on their aircover promises.  The fact that they promise $1 million in host damages coverage  is basically fraud against host if they habitually do this to hosts.

from what I’m reading in these threads, the company could be hit with a class action lawsuit.

Combined that with this whole vague issue of taxation, and governments want their taxes,  you wonder why investors are not wholeheartedly buying up their stocks.

MeehyunK

Explore Resource Center articles

Making your home ready for guests
Tips from Airbnb plus hosts: How to add thoughtful touches
Supporting guests during their stay