cannot rent out host cancelled days

Wade79
Level 2
Flagstaff, AZ

cannot rent out host cancelled days

It is disappointing to see the policy surrounding blocking days when a reservation is cancelled by host.   Think of how many poeple are now being punished.

example: somebody is providing their home as a place for emergency foster care or families in need.  a family needs something urgently, kids cannot sleep in the street and they need to have a bed.  So the host cancels their reservation and provides their home for such a case.  But then, they are able to leave early.  so the host re opens the reservation.  Airbnb has now decided that no matter what, you are guilty.  extenuating circumstance only applies, if you can provide proof.  Imagine asking somebody who is perhaps in a very low point in their life, for proof that they are destitute, or sick, or have just lost family members?  How insensitive and cruel is this?

Very disappointed.

18 Replies 18
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Wade79 I think your example is going to apply to relatively few cases. Blocking calendars is essential to punish hosts who have ruined a guests travel plans and is a good deterrent to ensure some hosts do not give Airbnb a bad name.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Wade79 

in this case, the best solution is to list the unit on another platform until the end of the blocked period

I don't understand your reply. What do you mean by "list on another platform? Does that mean like vacation rentals platform, etc?

Dale711
Level 10
Paris, France

Hi @Wade79 

Welcome to the community 😊

You’re right.

You may consider duplicating the listing; open the calendar window by narrowing down the availability, link to the listing.  

here is the listing:

https://airbnb.com/h/ocshome

I will look into this option.  

Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Wade79 

Following @Branka-and-Silvia0 's advice will work but it is a lot of trouble to go to as you won't be able to sync the calendars or the listing will just end up blocked again.

Following @Dale711 's advice actually breaks the terms and conditions of Airbnb and could see you removed from the platform.

Your choice!

Oh my dear @Mike-And-Jane0

Have you run out of the Expresso I had to send you recently? 

The original inspiration has come from the below thread, 

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Help/1-star-review-left-from-a-Guest-that-never-arrived-or-check...

Correction to your response,

Following Branka's advice will work, but it is a lot of trouble to go to as you won't be able to sync the calendars or the listing will just end up blocked again.

Following Slivia and Dale advice actually breaks the terms and conditions of Airbnb and could see you removed from the platform.

Your choice!

By the way, I specific 

You may consider duplicating the listing; open the calendar window by narrowing down the availability, link to the listing.’

You do need a Double Expresso? and you should tell me which brand do you prefer? 🤪

@Mike-And-Jane0 I don’t think Airbnb’s block will block dates on synced calendars on other platforms, though I suppose it might depend on the other platform and what application you are using to sync.

my  other platform calendar is blocked as well. I unsynched them for now.  I will just manually handle the bookings for now.

Robin4
Top Contributor
Mount Barker, Australia

@Wade79 

I understand you feel a bit dudded having your calendar blocked because you have cancelled a confirmed reservation but Wade, Airbnb had to do this. I understand you are coming from a position of generosity on your part but, consider the effects that cancellation will have on a guest who has booked with you in good faith.

Too many hosts were cancelling confirmed bookings simply to chase a better paying or longer reservation......the booking process was being abused by ruthless hosts, so Airbnb had to take punitive action. 

When a guest books accommodation, they put in place other expensive items like travel expenses. Guests need to have some degree of certainty that the listing they have booked and paid for is going to be honoured when the time comes.

There are extenuating circumstances but, even those have been reigned in because of the advantage hosts were taking!

The rule is Wade, you do not cancel a confirmed reservation. If a guest has put enough trust in you to hand over a considerable amount of money......it's up to you to honour that trust!

Cheers..........Rob

Here is the response i received from Airbnb:

I am sorry for your lost and I know this has not been the outcome you desire. A contract can show that you have an agreement to use the listing this way or a letter of request which would show that the listing was requested and approved for such use. This does not require you providing any personal information medical or financial. It is just a note to add on the account. If you are not able to provide this information, then regrettably I will not be able to update your calendar. If you would like further assistance regarding this case please give us a call!
Airbnb Support United States
+1-415-800-5959 or +1-855-424-7262​​

They are saying I need to give a contract to them, which shows that I can provide my home for use how i want to provide it. They are asking for private information about a rental contract (illegal) and are insisting that i must follow this protocol, or i cannot list for the month. Then in the very next sentence they explain that its just a note. Fine. I guess I will provide a note.

@Wade79 I don’t know how it works in your country but we have to submit our str licence number and that’s it

@Wade79 how does this relate to your original post? 

Re your question above “other platforms” means Homeaway/Vrbo, booking.com, your own direct booking site etc.. When Airbnb blocked my calendar (for not signing up for their enhanced cleaning protocol) my synced listings on other platforms were not blocked by that.

Rob, your point is well taken and nicely worded. My drawback to it is that AirBnB doesn't work well with hosts when the host is truly acting in good faith. Such as my previous post about selling and ensuring my future guests have their reservations honored. Hopefully most hosts are decent ppl that practice "treat others as you want to be treated". My Buyers want the future guests on my calender and we have worked out a training period so that the guests are assured they are coming into the same 5 star space they reserved. But AirBnB does not allow good hosts to work out amicable situations without them punishing the hosts with fines and penalties.