false damages claim by host

Alizeh0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

false damages claim by host

i have had a recent terrible experience with a host on airbnb. i booked an initial stay of 7 days as i had refurbishment in my flat. i have two dogs and i told the host this when booking (small and medium sized). on the 7th day of my stay i had to extend the booking by a few days as the works hadnt completed and then the host offered me an extension of further 5 days at a lower rate which i accepted as there were still bits of refurbishment pending. the day after i checked out the hosts wife messages me stating i had trashed their house and also ruined her £500 sweater. i told her the house was pretty dirty when i began my stay (the hosts father checked me in as they were away camping) and that i had actually cleaned (broomed mopped and washed linen before leaving). during my stay a chair broke which i informed the host off and he told me that chair was already heavily cracked and that they didnt use it (yet the i was not told this and the chair was not put away but on the main dining table). the messages from his wife (he had provided her the number which i didnt authorise him to do) were sent to my whatsapp and threatening to call the police and reporting me to RSPCA. she claimed i had taken cutlery crookery and caused loads of damage. i told her i had a few friends over who had also commented on how dirty the house was. These were 2 friends that had helped me go to the property as i had lots of things and also another time a friend came over and we sat in the garden, and he left by 10 pm. I told them i did not open their cupboard instead one drawer to look for extra sheets but didnt find anything so just washed the sheets that were given. I did find some sheets but they smelt musty and were stained so i left them. The hosts wife used these conversations to suggest to Airbnb claims that i had had a party and this caused wine stains in the bedroom wall. the host then put in a claim of £3500£ claiming scratches on kitchen counter, scratches on dining table, scratches on floor and 1 broken chair 3 cracked chairs. plus lots of things like a book that clearly had black mould on it claiming it was caused by a small dog. a leak that had been there from before stating i should have reported it and is my fault the wall is affected. rusty door handles and some mouldy plants in mouldy lant pots. the wife also claimed the sweater but as £700 instead the 5 she stated to me. I have challenged this claim as i had no party, i didnt actually chop any food the time i was there as i relied on takeaways and ready meals, i didnt take her sweater or any other items as alleged (why would i?!) and the plumbing was poor in the property - the flush was clogged and smelling so i had to unclog with my hands then i just left that toilet be. the other toilet the shower was a minimum of 38 degrees and didnt go below this. this house had a lot of problems (and the hosts father who checked me in did mention about the plumbing to me the day i checked in). i am not a difficult guest i usually happy to be in the space and try to find good rather than bad. I just got on with my stay and as i was staying for a few days i thoughts its ok ill just clean the property myself. i even bought bleach for the toilet and kitchen roll to wipe counters as no cleaning products had been provided (save a surface spray). the host also claimed a missing fob which he asked me to leave in the kitchen even though i suggested they come collect it from me. other parts of the claim are widely exaggerated prices like 150£ for a mattress topper and 50£ for a duvet cover as it had a dog hair on it. i also have to add i specifically asked the host if dogs were allowed on furniture and he said yes and that not to worry they have their own dogs. I have then responded to the claim stating i do not agree and provided screenshots of the conversation with host about chair and his wife with other things and it shows the credibility of the hosts i have also asked if they can provide photos of the condition of things the day before my stay to show it was damaged by me. no receipts have been provided expect for buying new things rather than the damaged items. airbnb has reduced the claim to £1700 but still decided in hosts favour. i appealed this and they have said they will uphold decision. they have said in the decision if i don't pay within 14 days they will automatically charge my card £450 and will call me for the rest. is there anything i can do to stop this from happening or escalating the case to be looked into again. how can i not pay these false claims and challenge airbnbs decision? 

2 Replies 2
Alizeh0
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

also to add i have been on airbnb for 7 plus years and never had a single bad review in fact all my reviews state that i am respectful and clean and left the property in great condition. i always clean before checking out even when theres a fee 

I am facing a similar situation where hosts electrics failed and she has charged me. Did you get anywhere?