getting money back south korea during Covid-19.

Sean949
Level 2
California, United States

getting money back south korea during Covid-19.

I've booked an apt in S. Korea from May 22 to June 27.

Host Hj asked me to talk with Kakao talk app since we are both Koreans and asked me pay him through Paypal

which I did in Jan. 2020.

Due to the Covid-19 outbreaks, I asked him I'd like to cancel but the host won't give the money back.

As a matter fact, he does not even respond to my messages.

Need help getting the money back!

11 Replies 11
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

As you paid outside Airbnb, it won't be possible for them to help. Direct payments and communicating outside platform isn't the done thing. You will have to try by yourself, as the agreement with host was a private one.

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sean949  Airbnb bookings are paid only through the Airbnb site. This host acted outside the policies of Airbnb, so he's already dishonest. 

As Sandra said, this isn't an Airbnb booking, so has nothing to do with Airbnb. Good luck trying to get your money back from this person.

In the future, if a host asks you to communicate outside the platform, or pay outside the platform, cease dealing with them and look for another place.

Sean949
Level 2

At least Airbnb should disallow this person to list again.  He has multiple lists.  

@Sean949 You can report him to Airbnb and they will likely delist him.

@Sarah977 

The guest @Sean949  can also be reported for paying outsinde of airbnb. It's no rocket sience to understand that platforms are financing themselfes through fees. He used the platform but didn't want to pay for the service. I believe he will not get  his  money back and rightfully so.

Sean949
Level 2

Absolutely correct.  Learned the lessons.

I will report myself.  Only used this service for only once.  did not know the exact policy.

the host charged a fraction through Airbnb and rest through paypal so I have current reservation still active.

Please report me so both can be taken care of?

@Sean949 This is just a discussion forum for hosts and guests. You will need to contact Airbnb customer service. But it's doubtful you'll get any money back through Airbnb. Maybe if you tell the host you'll report him if he doesn't, maybe he'll refund you.

@Sean949  Are you 100% sure the listing you booked was actually on Airbnb and not a copycat link?

Sean949
Level 2

Yes, I still have the reservation.  I have not yet canceled 

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Sean949 maybe there is an option for refund through PayPal ?

Sean949
Level 2

Thanks for the suggestion.  Unfortunately, they say personal payment is not refundable.