host cancelled booking after having booking for a year and prices now trebled in area.

Debbie1054
Level 2
Rotherham, United Kingdom

host cancelled booking after having booking for a year and prices now trebled in area.

Hi just had my accommodation cancelled for a trip thats been booked a year. prices are now trebled in the area. Has anyone been successful in getting support from this company in relation to booking onto alternative similar accommodation free of charge. thanks 

9 Replies 9
Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Debbie1054   You don’t say when you were due to travel, but you may find the following link of some use.

https://www.airbnb.co.uk/help/article/170/if-your-host-cancels-your-reservation

Debbie1054
Level 2

Thanks for your help Kate our trip should be the middle of August 

Kate867
Level 10
Canterbury, United Kingdom

@Debbie1054  I am sorry this happened and can really appreciate both your disappointment and frustration at this.  Unfortunately as your planned trip is more than 30 days away then the link I supplied you with is not of much use.  The host for this property may have cancelled for a variety of reasons such as selling the property amongst others.  However, although not much consolation to you,  the host will have had a penalty applied and the dates blocked from others booking on his Airbnb calendar.  I wish you every success in finding a suitable alternative.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Debbie1054  Call Airbnb and see what they can do to help you identify alternative listing. They should give you a 10% credit in addition to your refund .

what reason did your host give for cancelling by the way ? 

Debbie1054
Level 2

No I wanted given a reason as to why the host cancelled.

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

@Debbie1054 where were you going?

Debbie1054
Level 2

Edinburgh 

@Debbie1054 I don't think there are many Edinburgh hosts on here - One time a guest was let down in Majorca and a host on here came to the rescue.

All we can offer is Derbyshire I am afraid.

Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

I have no idea of the real reason the host cancelled and I can't remember when exactly Scotland came out of lockdown but this time last year, we were in a very different situation with COVID, travel restrictions etc. and many hosts had lost most of their bookings in the months preceding. I still have COVID related cancellations as late as December 2021. 

So, it wouldn't surprise me if prices back then were very low. Now a lot of people are travelling. When I travelled a couple of weeks ago, I couldn't believe the queues at the airport. Plus August is probably the most popular time to visit Edinburgh with the International and Fringe festivals taking place that month. If prices have just gone back to 'normal', it wouldn't surprise me if they are three times what @Debbie1054 booked the airbnb for.

That's not to excuse the host if that's the reason he/she cancelled, i.e. to get a higher priced booking (Airbnb might block the dates, but that's not to say the listing isn't also on other platforms), but I think it unlikely that anyone could now find cheap accommodation in Edinburgh in August. I may be wrong though. When I went to the Fringe, I stayed with friends.