listing suspended

Joe-and-Jen0
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

listing suspended

I have just had my listing suspended for an apparent violation, it started when I reported a guest for not complying with our rules. Guest made a reservation for (1) person and showed up with two people. the second guest that was not on the reservation was a young child. We have a no child policy. I brought this to the quests attention and and told her that it is done, just enjoy your stay, there are no worries.

I received an email from the guest on Sunday saying that they left Saturday afternoon and could she get a refund?? I told her no, that I had offer to let you stay and you were the one who went around the reservation and tried to sneak in a child.

Next thing I know when I logged on is my listing is suspended, I called air bnb and they told me they do not know why the account is suspend and referred to a different team.  I am supposed to have received and email but so far nothing.  I am a superhost and have all positive reviews.   I cannot figure out why AIRBNB would not notify me of a potential suspension. Why would they treat a reliable super host in this way.  The gentleman I spoke to couldn't advise me further she said he would leave a message for someone to contact me.  If anyone has any tips how to handle this I would appreciate some feed back or advice.  So Frustrating.

11 Replies 11
Pat271
Level 10
Greenville, SC

Probably the guest told Airbnb that you kicked her out because she had a child. People will twist the truth all around, especially if $$ is involved. And Airbnb seems to be suspending listings at the drop of a hat. They really should investigate more, and the allegations should be more serious before they do something so drastically detrimental to their hosts. At least talk to the host first, for heaven’s sake!

Carlos4267
Level 2
Puntarenas, Costa Rica

Hi my account has been suspended I have a camera pointing directly to main door of my Airbnb, the investigator called me and then said it was easy two steps change my description to say there’s a camera and second a statement that I read Airbnb policies… after that I got an email saying that’s not enough and they need to go further in investigation to see, I never got a notification that the reservation was cancelled by Airbnb, I knew cause the neighbor called me to say gate was open I went home and when I wanted to send the girl a msg it says cancelled by Airbnb and apparently she complaint saying that I was recording her and probably have cameras inside I went send all proofs record myself gave access to camera control is an old camera and only records when motion. Today they told me this: The case has been reviewed by the management, and they confirmed that the proper measures had been taken.

Per our Terms of Service, Airbnb reserves the right to make the temporary listing restrictions with regard to these disputes. I will be in touch again with a final decision and outcome.

I am a superhost I don’t know what will happen I write everyday but was told that no more proofs needed and this i just sent please guide me

i live for this and love Airbnb but can’t understand this I made the claim as she introduced a visitor at 2.30 am of course if I see an alarm notification for 2.30 am I will open it and now I am under investigation 

I also said there was this family that asked me to take the camera off as they like to shower naked in the outside shower and I said yes I think she is investigating more because of my honest example… 

I can’t sleep the stress is killing me but still have my coming reservation but still suspended any help? Ideas?

thanks I appreciate your insight

carlos 

Joe-and-Jen0
Level 2
Marshfield, MA

I made it a point right after I spoke the the guest to notify airbnb of the violation. I am still be penalized for it, any other good hosting sites to consider? I never had a problem with airbnb but if this is how they threat their host it might be time to move on.

Lenore22
Level 10
California, United States

Alternatives: Vrbo, booking-dot-com. There are others,. Depending on the nature of your listing (glamping, rv, home shares, etc). Try a Google website for direct bookings for existing clients. No service currently matches the booking numbers that airbnb brings to our market, but considering the trend of hosts leaving platform, and frustrations from guests, this may change.

I'm sorry this happened to you & wish I had better advice, but unfortunately this scenario is not uncommon these days.

@Joe-and-Jen. Sounds like a 'catch 22' to me. You initially had a rule which the guest and you both broke through agreement but you did not suspend the rule and have the guest book properly with the child . So theororetically you should have rebooked the guest with the child by getting the guest a variation with the child but since they were already there then the booking cannot be changed except to extend a day because if you or the guest cancel someone pays a penalty.Then again you may have been able to immediately send the guest a variation but you rang Airbnb so the guest received a call and this may have made them leave . Airbnb followed their own rules because they initially spoke with you ,so that was their contact,then they spoke with the guest ,who may or may not have complained and may or may not have been offered a different accomodation. So the 'NEW rule" commences . Be careful contacting Airbnb, put it in the messages . You have had your 'contact'. H

OK, I got this, been through it, it can be terrifying if this is more than a hobby, and you've grown into a full blown source of income. 

If everything I read twice is true, and without missing other circumstances, breathe, breathe, and write down everything in a text program, don't go on and on and on - they won't read it. Short.

•Short

•Bullet points

•Do not make any accusations or insinuations

•I tell my partners and other hosts "write it as if it was a computer error algorithm so the tone is totally smiling"

•Briefly compliment Airbnb and thank them for Superhost status, and one sentence, how that designation changed your commitment and you did even better.

•Focus on what you apparantly did to ACCOMODATE the child, and be careful here, this forum (and the world) are operating in very complex legal areas on pets, service animals, children and even saying it's a reservation for one and showing up with 2.

CALL, and trust . . . you need one thing first, an agent to WRITE YOU BACK A WRITTEN MESSAGE inside the platform (or an email from Trust and Safety) even if it says nothing except "we will pass the buck blah blah onto another team member whose name I won't give you and by-the-way-I-won't-give-you-my-name-either". 

RESPOND FAST or they close the case. Before you saw it.

I've been through this a time or two. 200 check ins a month, so if anyone thinks I am giving bad advice and you have less than 10 interactions with agents a month, stick it. 

and never put in writing anything like that last sentence. 

JJ48
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Joe-and-Jen0 wrote:

We have a no child policy. I brought this to the quests attention and and told her that it is done, just enjoy your stay, there are no worries.

Do you think it’s possible that the guest made a discrimination complaint?  Does your listing say exactly “no kids”?  It seems to be a fairly common scenario for Airbnb to suddenly suspend a listing when a guest claims discrimination. I think it’s probably policy to suspend the listing while they investigate the accusation. If you think it’s possible then it may worth preparing a response. It's truly abhorrent that they don't even tell you what is going on. I hope it gets sorted sooner than later. 

Hal3292
Level 9
Bluefield, WV

It is so disheartening to hear stories like these. I hope you're able to work through it. Please update to let us know what happens. Also -- doesn't Airbnb staff look at these discussion threads? Do they truly not know there's a distressing pattern of good hosts being inexplicably suspended?

@Hal3292 there is reading and then there is comprehension. It only takes one person to be triggered by a word however inocuous and extrapolate it out of context. i think that the usual thing .trigger fingers . H

Jenny
Community Manager
Community Manager
Galashiels, United Kingdom

Hi @Joe-and-Jen0 

I'm sorry to hear about this - have you heard anything back from Support yet?

Jenny

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines

no it has been 3 days since I first contacted AIRBNB and I have not heard back from anyone.

I have phoned to be told that they would send this to the correct person and contact me. I have also emailed them several times with no response - Not sure how airbnb can get away with this?

If a host don't reply withing 24 hours we are penalized. They want their host to provide a high standard of service, should it not go both ways?