"arbitrary fees" + "vermin" - response and case resolution for pet fee

Emily-And-Virginia0
Level 4
Mountain View, AR

"arbitrary fees" + "vermin" - response and case resolution for pet fee

Hello,

We are superhosts with 1200 reviews averaging 4.9 stars.  (we're a small rural PM cabin company).   

I keep getting shut out of resolutions but I have an issue I just can't shake.   I wonder how this bodes for the future. If I should make a drastic course change.

We had a guest come and bring a pet.  they did not disclose they were bringing a pet.  (so we didn't request the nominal $45 fee)  We message multi times asking if you're brining a pet in addition to stating that you need to disclose to us that you are.

This pet guest greatly damage the property. we have photographic proof.

We sought minor remediation with guest ($200).   No luck.  We sought help from the resolution center.   They will not get involved because dogs are "vermin" and policy states they are not responsible for vermin.   Also, Airbnb resolutions will not help with even collecting the pet fee clearly stated in the listing description because they do not support "arbitrary" fees.  The guest has admitted in messaging that they brought a pet - since departure.

Here's where I feel the most anxiety - we are forbidden in terms of service from collecting pet fees outside of airbnb.  

How is this practice sustainable?    Would someone here in the community give me a reality check?  If the guests had had a rave we didn't approve of would airbnb just tell us "we are not responsible.  case closed."

This guest did not follow the rules.  They brought unapproved guests - in this case, furry -  the guest did damage.  

Look forward to some feedback.  Been tossing and turning about this for a while.  3x resolutions has shut me down.  I have a real bad feeling about this.  Not this one-off event per se, but how I'm strangled by airbnb's new treatment of me.   and lack of ability to invoice myself for arbitrary fees - such as pets, hot tubs, etc.

Kindly,

Virginia

35 Replies 35
Mike-And-Jane0
Top Contributor
England, United Kingdom

@Peter1 You say people can set their own rules re pets however Airbnb say otherwise. Assistance animals AND Service animals are required to be hosted!

See below

Are hosts required to accept assistance animals?

Generally, yes, unless there is a threat to health or safety (see below). At Airbnb, we acknowledge that assistance animals are not the same as pets and serve a crucial function for their owner. As stated in our Nondiscrimination Policy, hosts are expected to reasonably accommodate reservations where an assistance animal may be present, even if their listing/house rules state “no pets”.

@Peter1 And there is also no real security deposit. It is smoke and mirrors. Hosts can indicate any amount that they want as a "security deposit." If damage is done, it does not mean that the guest will pay because it comes out of their security deposit. And it doesn't mean that Airbnb will pay up/charge the guest either. There is no security deposit. 

Thanks @Peter1 , We are both animal lovers but allergies can hurt your guests and the ratings we get for not having the same sensitivities as they might.     Our people loving Maddy the rescue terrier is never allowed in guest areas but is like your Westie when it comes to non humans, she doesn't like them no matter what size shape or color they are and will not stop barking until they leave the premises.   

Been there, tried that, it failed terribly, she turns from terrier into a terror when other animals are here or visible (Luckily birds dont bother her).    I'm in a situation where even a proper service dog will upset the generally robust balance for other guests in the 2nd guest suite and we the hosts in  our home.  When Airbnb requires us to accept service and ESA's into our listings unannounced "or else", they aren't understanding that some things aren't that easy even if they say it fast enough.   

Also, don't forget, Airbnb will not reimburse animal damages, its insincere for them to say were protected when the critters that could do some of the most damage are exempt from claims.   Every stay in an Airbnb has its pros and cons, animal places exist and they just have to find them.   Stay well, JR 

@Peter1  As you have been enlightened by other posters here, the security deposit is bogus and almost impossible to collect on. Responsible guests who cause damage fess up, apologize, and offer to pay for it without a host having to request that. That's how responsible adults behave.

If a host has to ask the guest to pay for damages through Airbnb, 99% of those cases are going to be refused by the guest, because they aren't the type of people I described above. They are the type of people who will deny responsibility, lie about the listing in their review as revenge for being asked to pay, or maintain that because they paid for the accommodation and a cleaning fee, that they are entitled to leave the listing in whatever state of disarray or damage they choose.

Helen3
Top Contributor
Bristol, United Kingdom

@Peter1 Airbnb does not allow hosts to claim for pet damages against the so called deposit as it has the same conditions for claims as the guarantee ie you can't claim for pet damages.

it doesn't matter what you put in your description. 

Marcy1
Level 10
Eugene, OR

I quit allowing pets. Maybe if we all did , airbnb would have to acknowledge the pet fee issue.