weddings

Lauren456
Level 2
Houston, TX

weddings

Because of our land and the setting people actually think that a booking for one night allows to have a wedding. I did my research and posted In the house rules that additional people are an additional charge. My space I  is tiny like 700-800 sq feet in  a barn on land. I try to offer suggestions and recommend they have to rent the luxury port a pottys and it is all a la carte but how to do deal with this even if it  in the house rules NO LARGE EVENTS and each person after two people is a charge .. I get parents all the time that do not mention the additional high school boy and friend sleeping on the sofa ( sweaty even if I set linens out)  any ideas of how to pre pare for the wedding on your land we are on a budget question that comes up all to often ? Thank you in advance ( I also so NO HORSE back riding and get that a lot )

2 Replies 2
Lawrene0
Level 10
Florence, Canada

You are okay with weddings, @Lauren456 ? I get asked about them, too, but I say no. I don't want them. 

If you are okay with them, you will need to do  a lot of research. Being a wedding venue is completely different than providing nightly accommodations. 

Insurance, inspections, permits, contracts, catering: all sorts of things come into play.

It really sounds like you just need to say no more often. No extra guests. No horseback riding. No weddings. It's okay to say no. It is easy to get railroaded by guests, but if you don't want certain things, and you are clear about them in your house rules, stand firm. Charge the extra-guest fee for that extra high schooler or friend, or turn them away at the door. Do whatever works to remain in charge.

You will get burned out at this rate.

Gillian166
Level 10
Hay Valley, Australia

I wish AirBnb would just start a new arm (like they did for Experiences) and let some of us host events if we want to. I think we'll be able to do weddings in 2023, (and even special occasions like 30ths, 40ths or engagements), and i've found a site that is like ABB for wedding venues, but it's going to add a layer of co-ordination to manually sync calendars.