February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who introduced themselves to the Host Advisory Board (HAB) earlier this month, it was a great conversation. 

As we are nearing the end of February, I'm pleased to share the next spotlight and update from @Omar202, who is representing the group this month. Take a look at his article in the Airbnb Resource Center here

We want to continue the conversation here in the Community Center, so feel free to share any thoughts in this discussion below. If you want to highlight any topics elsewhere in the Community Center to the HAB, you can use the tag #HostAdvisoryBoard.

Thank you for all the kind words and constructive ideas/feedback you have shared so far with the HAB, they really appreciate your support.

Lizzie (and all of the EN CC team)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

72 Replies 72
Omar202
Host Advisory Board Alumni
México D.F., Mexico

Hi everyone!

I would like to introduce myself, I started hosting on Airbnb in September 2018 and currently have two listings in the beautiful Coyoacan that is in the south part of Mexico City, the names of our listings are: Love for Mexico and Passion and Colors of Mexico, both are designed with a 100% Mexican style and handicrafts since we love to share and to exalt our beautiful country traditions, culture, values and origins with our beloved guests.

I love to travel and explore the world with my beautiful wife Silvia, meet new people, cultures, cuisine, and experience with extreme adventures from time to time.

My wife and I are wine & Tequila lovers, we enjoy spending time with our relatives, friends and play with our cat Mr. Jinks; my hobbies are technology, rock music, playing the guitar, bowling, video games, and swimming.

I'm very passionate about hosting, connecting with guests and visitors from our beautiful Mexico and the rest of the world, networking with other hosts, learn from Hospitality and Short Term Rental experts as well as interact our host communities. I truly love coaching and educate new hosts to help them become successful and thrive in this lovely hosting journey.

I will be very happy to meet and chat with all of you very soon in our upcoming Community Center meetups.

We stay in touch & wish you a happy hosting to all of you!

Sincerely,

Omar

#HostAdvisoryBoard

Hi @Omar202, I'm intrigued by Host Empowerment and very much looking forward to hearing more on that topic.  Glad you're involved.

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

Hi @Ann72 thanks for your kind works, yes Host Empowerment is a key committee we are fully focusing and working together with Airbnb, we will share news soon so please stay tuned on the CC and the upcoming virtual meetup, it will be a pleasure meeting you 😀

By the way, I loved your quote: "Live in the moment, but never be uncomfortable!" it fully resonates with me as I'm very passionate about hospitality, connection with my guests, congratulations for being such a committed host 🙌

I wish you a happy hosting!

Sincerely,

Omar

Nina980
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Re Get access to special deals on Dettol

I'm trying to get this messege to airbnb. I'd really like to hear that the Environmental Crisis is at the top of the Host Advisory Board's agenda. I think there needs to be some kind of policy level response from airbnb. Even if it is 'Airbnb does not promote or encourage actions and behaviour that are negatively impactful to the environment'. It would be a start.

The next logical step would of course be to promote and encourage positive actions and behaviour for the environment.

My message to airbnb:
Could you please clarify for me the impact of this offer and promotion of it, on the environment - and could you please ensure me that you have considered the environmental impact of promoting dettol: wipes, plastic containers, and whether you have considered if and how to promote refills.

Could I please have Airbnb's response to the global environmental/climate crisis, it's policy, aims and objectives - and evidence that you have this at the heart of the organisation, that you are rigorously assessing promotions and advice before release, based on this.

In light of the historical problems, world wide, with non-biodegradable wipes, and with the recent increase in single use plastic and protection wear, and litter, I would hope to see that airbnb, which is ostensibly promoting positive human interaction and connections, has appropriately widened this to cover carbon footprint, ecosystems, water systems, ingress of chemicals into biodiversity, etc. 

As airbnb is indeed a community, it has power and influence. I hope that airbnb understands that to do nothing - is actually active destruction of the environment. Only doubly so with the promotion of non environment positive products and actions.

I await your response with some agitation,
Nina Bentley
Airbnb host
Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

@Nina980 thank you so much for this post, it is also something which I personally relate too so much and share the same disappointment about. I hope I can reassure you by saying that the Host Advisory Board has a focussed sustainability committee and sustainability is something they are working on with the Airbnb team, including what sustainability means to hosts and how Airbnb can help and encourage our hosting community to think more sustainably. I do hope there will be an update on this soon!

I am also a host in Wales, in Pembrokeshire! Have you joined the official Wales Airbnb Host Community Facebook group? It would be so SO wonderful to have you there to share your experience and sustainable tips and advice with fellow hosts, something I'm also very passionate about! 

Nina980
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

@Anna1403 I feel like crying!! I'm just sooo relieved and happy that you have replied, and so positively. I am so SO happy to hear that the HAB has this as a priority. And that you have access to, and influence in, a company that I see as having the potential to be a huge wheel turner in the right direction.

Professionally I am developing a Local Environmental Action Plan that works, as a transferable model, with the local community here, to decrease carbon footprint and increase positive actions. Small, strong communities are the way forward. And airbnb's presence in so many communities across the planet has a HUGE part to play. This subject has been a tight knot in my head since seeing the promotion of Dettol products including wipes. Such a relief that I've found the right place to raise this. I'll be joining the facebook group now. See you there. And thank you. Nina

Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

That is so so wonderful Nina! We sound very similar!! And the small strong community point - it's like I wrote that, ha! That is Pembrokeshire too, empowering our communities, through and through. I have worked for a charity that helped communities implement environmental projects for the future under the Well-being of Future Generations Act 2015, I am also involved with an amazing seaweed forest project off the St Davids coast (incredible carbon offset potential etc) as well as helping with community owned renewable energy initiatives here too!  I even started our own community garden here in my village last summer! I absolutely feel you. So looking forward to connecting with you in the group!! 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wonderful @Nina980 . I'm in Swansea. Whereabouts are you?

Greatly appreciate your input and I also feel that Airbnb (which is us, all of us) has a huge part to play and I feel very positive about it xxxxxxxxxxxx

Thank you so much for helping to create  urgency over the climate issue.  I live in the NW of the US, (Oregon) and many fires are burning around us.  The speed can be terrifying, too.

I am a guest wishing that we had a forum for all of us, hosts and guests alike.  We guests have no forum at all.  I am a crasher here.  But are we so very different?  Don't we have many interests in common, like the one Nina raised, for example as well as the one I raised?    I wrote on this forum a couple of days ago about airbnb and the cancellation policy that has hurt me and I have found so disappointing, but it pales in comparison to the issue you are raising.    Thank you, NIna.  You are a gem.  

Cheryl Stevenson

Mike-And-Jane0
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Hi @Omar202 Its good to meet you. Would it be possible for you to update us on what the HAB has achieved in the last 3 months please?

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

Hi @Mike-And-Jane0 the pleasure is mine, what we have been working in February is to establish and agree on a common agenda of topics across committees (diversity and belonging, sustainability, and host empowerment) in order to convert them into actionable items for the short, medium and long term to support our hosts communities.

We have reviewed in detail our host communities valuable recommendations, opportunities and pain points and we fully acknowledge the importance and the immediate need to take action; nonetheless, we realized we should establish prioritization work plan to effectively dedicate efforts and synergies together with Airbnb to achieve them in timely manner, this is in progress so rest assure our host community will receive detailed news very soon.

In parallel to the above we identified that continual host education (this is by far my true passion) and communication with our host communities are key success factors to maintain a trusted and credible linkage with our communities so I'm very exited to be here and  interact with you moving forward.

Shall there are any areas that are covered in the article that you find of interest or would like to know more about please let me know, I will be more than happy to support!

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

How are you involving in the wider host community in agreeing what those priorities are @Omar202 ? 

what analysis does Airbnb do of common problems, such as non payment of hosts, long term superhost being suspended on the say so of new guests when safety issues are raised by guests  - normally when guest has been evicted for breaking houses rule or a damage claim has been brought? 

airbnb using IB as default fir new hosts, so they get caught out with unsuitable bookings.

airbnb breaking own T&Cs by refunding guests who complain about listing issues without giving hosts a chance to resolve or refute 

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

Hi @Helen3 thanks for your message and very good questions.

My personal involvement besides the HAB is to be part of the Mexico Hosts Alliance where all the Community leaders from the country are, the Latin America Leaders group where we have community leaders from most of the countries in the region, I actively participate in official and unofficial Airbnb Facebook and WhatsApp groups in English and Spanish where I have obtained very valuable input and feedback from hosts all around the world. I most recently started to engage with the English and Spanish Community Center. By the way I really enjoyed to be part on the last virtual meet up.

By the way and just as an aside note, I joined Clubhouse 72 hours ago which I think is very powerful to that would allow us to connect with other hosts in the future 🙂

The above practice is pretty much the same  my other 16 fellow board members are following, some of them like @Till-and-Jutta0 have been in the Community Center for some time and I'm keen to  learn and engage much more in this space.

With that said, our goal as HAB is to gather and collate our Hosts Community consolidated input and then work with Airbnb to agree on a common plan with clear and achievable actions for the short, medium and long term: the concerns and opportunities you mentioned are definitively part of it and currently being worked out.

It will be a pleasure to continue connecting with you and who knows get together to for a coffee, tea or a cup of wine in the future if I visit Bristol, UK or viceversa if you plan to visit Mexico 😊 

Best,

Omar

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Omar202 

Having approached some of the participants in the Community Centre about any immediate issues they'd like addressed (through yourself to the Exec when next the Executive Committee meets....did you find out the date?) the response has been predominantly that they'd like to go for the big issues (rather than the simpler things)... so you're off the hook there Omar. Haha!  I expect that's a big 'phew' for you. But the things that are important to us as Hosts will filter through eventually I'm sure and I'd like to take the opportunity to wish you personally, your friends, family and all in the HAB group every success and speak soon.

With very best wishes from Mary