February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who introduced themselves to the Host Advisory Board (HAB) earlier this month, it was a great conversation. 

As we are nearing the end of February, I'm pleased to share the next spotlight and update from @Omar202, who is representing the group this month. Take a look at his article in the Airbnb Resource Center here

We want to continue the conversation here in the Community Center, so feel free to share any thoughts in this discussion below. If you want to highlight any topics elsewhere in the Community Center to the HAB, you can use the tag #HostAdvisoryBoard.

Thank you for all the kind words and constructive ideas/feedback you have shared so far with the HAB, they really appreciate your support.

Lizzie (and all of the EN CC team)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

72 Replies 72
Wayne-and-Julie0
Level 1
Brackley Beach, Canada

Hi , My name is Julie, my husband is Wayne, we are living Price Edward Island capital, Charlottetown of  Canada. We are running a 12 units cottages at Brackly Beach. Airbnb platform has given our business lots of help last year, beacuse we are new hosting at Airbnb, we all wish our life could come back normal very soon, we need visit our friends, we need a freedom policy for our guests.

wish all best for everyone!

Wayne& Julie

Omar202
Host Advisory Board Alumni
México D.F., Mexico

Hi @Wayne-and-Julie0 thanks for sharing your hosting journey story and congratulations for your passion and commitment, it's great to know you are happy Airbnb helped you last year during covid times, that's so awesome!

I'm fully with you, I also miss traveling and visiting my relatives and friends across borders but I'm confident everything will get back to normal soon 😉 by the way, have you seen the videos from the new campaign named #MadepossiblebyGuests? I'm sure this will resonante with you:

https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/ceo-brian-chesky-on-travel-trends-and-our-new-host-...

As an aside note, my fellow Host Advosory Member college @Bez8 is in Vancouver you are both literally in oposite sides of the country, but still Canada, right?  😋

I wish you have a happy hosting!

Sincerely,

Omar

Regina114
Level 5
Laguna Hills, CA

I just love Airbnb.  when I think that it is perfect something else even better comes along. Sea muy bienvenido Omar

Guy129
Level 3
New York, NY

Hello Host Advisory Board,

Please consider discussing a sustainability feature.  Incorporating a sustainability logo could have significant benefits for our environment, and it would be a terrific way for Airbnb to become part of the solution.

Hosts could highlight features such as solar panels, air source and ground to water heat pumps, EV charging stations, geothermal systems, energy efficiency upgrades, and water filtration systems. 

In the future, some hosts could even provide tours to describe the sustainable features they've incorporated into their homes.  Certain collaborative events with sustainable businesses that hosts have hired to complete work could also be featured.

Give guests opportunities to book their values!   It's another way to provide guests with meaningful options to feel connected with a sense of place.  Seeing a logo with this kind of feature could be very motivating for guests, just like seeing a superhost logo.

Thank you for your consideration,

Guy Jacob

Long Island, New York

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Anna1403 

One for you. Enjoy reading Anna's work so far @Guy129 . Loving your contribution. This is so fantastic and inspired. Thank you xx

Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

Thank you @Mary996! Sustainability is something I'm so passionate about as a host and as a member of the HAB, so lovely to read your post and feel your passion too @Guy129 !

Thank you for your encouragement of my sustainability logo idea @Mary996 and @Anna1403 .  It would require firstly a discussion of criteria. 

As a baseline, I believe it should require some kind of infrastructure/ devices incorporated into a host's property.   Consequently, recycling would not be considered.  As a host, yes I do encourage my guests to participate in my town's recycling program, but that's not something I would include as part of the criteria.

In fact, when I mentioned a water filtration system previously, one of the reasons would be to eliminate the need to purchase plastic water bottles, thereby reducing waste that would need to be recycled.     

I would like to see a sustainability section in a host's photo album if that host met the criteria for the logo.  For example, hosts who have installed solar panels should document that to Airbnb, take photos and send them in to be included on a host's site.  

What are your thoughts?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Great ideas @Guy129 .

@Anna1403 has done a lot of work in this area maybe she would share her report back with you?

It may be that you will each operate in your respective countries and advance signage and other features but it would be great to have a collaborative symbol. What do you think Anna. Room for some co-designing here?? xx

Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

Love reading your thoughts on this @Guy129  - thanks so much for sharing. Just wondering why you wouldn't want to include recycling as part of the 'criteria' if you encourage your guests to recycle, I'm presuming you have instructions in your listing and the different bins available etc? Just interested to hear your thoughts! 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

I'll Let @Guy129  respond for himself but my reading of his proposal is that he's going for the 'bigger plan'!!. @Anna1403 

ie. Solar panels, windmill or small scale wind capture devices. Structural stuff. And he has the expectation that EVERYONE  is ,  already, doing their duty with respect to the day to day.

Love the water filtering plan. I have a whole house water filter so even the shower water is being filtered from chlorine and fluoride. Agree whatever it takes to discourage bottled water use. I will list this in my description. Thanks...had forgotten... and had a family who bought huge plastic bottles. I was freaking out. But they said they like the taste.....eeeek!!

Greetings HAB #HostAdvisoryBoard ,

Great to get this conversation going about the potential value of a sustainability logo.  Hopefully, we can find common ground to bring to the Executive Board.  @Mary996 understands my objective.  I want to see an international logo that any Airbnb host could potentially qualify for that would have substantial meaning, in the same way that a superhost logo has meaning.  I bet there are numerous hosts who already have solar panels, wind turbines, water filtration systems, and geothermal system on their property, but have not promoted these sustainable infrastructure attributes on their Airbnb site. Case in point @Mary996 has a whole house water filter filtration system that she has until now not thought to add this to her description.  A logo would change that for hundreds if not thousands of hosts.

Moreover, it would encourage other hosts to add such infrastructure to their own properties, thereby spreading the wealth.  Airbnb can come part of the clean energy solution.  

Regarding @Anna1403 question about recycling, yes I have instructions in my listing and  different bins available.  There is a role for recycling, and if the consensus was to include it as part of the criteria, I would not object.  However, we're not going to recycle our way out of environmental degradation.  There is much mythology surrounding  the power of recycling, which has been evaluated in numerous reports and documentaries.  That being said, as long as points awarded for recycling were minimal compared to points received for having wind turbines, solar panels or a water filtration system on your property, that would be fine. 

My thinking is that a host should obtain a certain number of points before reaching the logo status. 

I agree @Laurelle3 compost bins, pollinator gardens rain water barrels could all count.

We would need a list of sustainable property assets.  Certain assets would be worth more points than others.   Clean energy infrastructure would require the largest investment for a host and would have the biggest impact, so these assets should receive the largest number of points toward the logo.  

My objective is largely to encourage the promotion of distributed energy, ie, clean energy infrastructure on one's property.  That being said, without doubt, compost bins and pollinator gardens certain also play a role in sustainability.

In all our deliberations, my hope is that we'll give guests more beneficial reasons to book stays. 

Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

Completely agree - its all about reducing our waste and making more considered choices at the source (less plastics etc) even more so or just as much as what we do with it!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

This is fantastic   and has my support. Yes am excited to be part of this revolution and for Airbnb to help spearhead our motivation, and that of Guests, for such change.How about a competition for such a Logo? Have you got something in mind?

I have an image of an old style windmill head, circular and coloured yellow on a green background. Sited beside the Superhost badge. Or replacing the bottom circle of it with green to state that its an Eco property.See the source image

@Guy129

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Omar202 

@Catherine Powell

In support of a proposal from @Guy129  that we recognise environmental effort. May we announce a Competition to design a logo to go beside the Superhost Logo or to replace a part of it such as the bottom circle (Eg with a coloured wheel)?

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Guy129 @Anna1403 @Laurelle3 @Dale711 @Mary996 

May we know when the next HAB meeting will be that will put this on their Agenda.... as a proposal to go to the next Executive Meeting?

@Omar202....Very exciting.

Will you present this proposal for...." A COMPETITION FOR A LOGO (or an ammendment to the Superhost logo) RECOGNISING HOST ENVIRONMENTAL FEATURES to include the criteria we are discussing which shows incremental steps going up to full structural changes... and then subsiding into the least impactful dwellings such as those occupied and shared by practitioners of a bedoin, native indian or other lightest touch life style (worthy of the most celebration  and accolade perhaps?".   xxxxxxxxxxxxx