February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who introduced themselves to the Host Advisory Board (HAB) earlier this month, it was a great conversation. 

As we are nearing the end of February, I'm pleased to share the next spotlight and update from @Omar202, who is representing the group this month. Take a look at his article in the Airbnb Resource Center here

We want to continue the conversation here in the Community Center, so feel free to share any thoughts in this discussion below. If you want to highlight any topics elsewhere in the Community Center to the HAB, you can use the tag #HostAdvisoryBoard.

Thank you for all the kind words and constructive ideas/feedback you have shared so far with the HAB, they really appreciate your support.

Lizzie (and all of the EN CC team)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

72 Replies 72
Omar202
Host Advisory Board Alumni
México D.F., Mexico

Hola @Araceli86 thanks for kind words

Please receive my warm welcome to the hosting journey, It's so awesome you manage your listing in Aguascalientes remotely from Montreal 🙌

I'm so glad you are loving this profession and looking to extend your hosting knowledge and skills so I would like to share the below YouTube playlist videos that contains a wide variety useful host tips on how to optimize your listing, recommendations, amenities among others I'm sure you will like them and potentially put in practice, I sure you will be a successful host very soon!

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLe_YVMnS1oXa5cxexm6FhshHP-F9K85Kh 

I know Aguascalientes is a favorite spot in May for the Feria de San Marcos which I really hope it could be possible to be held next year 😊

I will keep you posted once a new host educational material or courses are available.

Warm Regards,

Omar

Gracias @Omar202 

For your welcome!

Also to take the time of sending me the links to YouTube and the future post educational for hosting. I appreciate it.

Ye, Aguascalientes, is well known about the Feria Nacional de San Marcos 😊

Managing my listing from Montreal is something, that's why I would like to know about hosting to have better performance and hosting frequently to prosper in this business of hosting.

Thank you once again for your help, I appreciate it.

Sincerely

Araceli 

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Hi @Omar202 and Guy129 I think environmental and sustaisustainable issues are important but, however you should first acknowledge hosts that are achieving in a small way first in their guidelines such as; recycling, worm farms, composting, solar panels, water tanks. As for water filtration one has to look at their own local area and environment.

For me we have clean water supplied by our local council and it grieves me that people who live in the area or tourists buy bottled water. What a waste of money and these people add to our landfill and environment. 

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

Dear @Laurelle3 I 100% agree with you.

Staring with basic practices is the way to start and move forward, little actions could definitively make a difference; in my case I have received very positive feedback from my guests for having a water filter in my spaces as well give them directions on how to separate and correctly dispose trash.

I think it's also on our hands as responsible hots to educate our guest as well, common awareness is a key success factor here.

Sincerely,

Omar

Thanks Omar, we currently have solar panels, also a water tank for collection and used on the garden. I have a worm farm and explain to my guests, some know about them and others want to learn. My worm waste goes on the garden and at present I am able to show them the pumpkins that have regerminated and now have 20 in the garden. Pumpkin soup, baked vegetables, cakes and vegetarian dishes are on the menu. 

I misunderstood the water filtration, food for thought as getting a filter jug for the cottage. However, most towns and cities in Australia have chlorine and fluoride in our supplied water which prevents sickness and disease outbreaks. The fluride has prevented a lot of tooth decay which most Australians are proud of their good teeth as it would be a poor outcome for those that cannot afford the dentist.

This conversation has given me an idea to put in my own information into my manuel all the things that we do for the cottage that is sustainable. The same as I have put a list of all the items that people have left behind.

Enjoy your new role, it sounds as if you have started a can of worms for the starting letter. Take care and enjoy life which is what I am trying in retirement and which has taken on another new adventure with Airbnb and meeting guests.

Thanks again cor your thoughts.

Laurelle 

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

Hi @Laurelle3, the sustainability actions and efforts you have made at your Airbnb space are incredibly insightful 🤗my sincere compliments for the effort and commitment with our planet.

I'm sure my HAB team member @Anna1403 would love to read your story, she's very passionate about sustainability 💚

Thanks so much for your best wishes, it's a pleasure being in the CC to connect and interact  with our beloved hosts community.

Sincerely,
Omar 

Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

Thank you @Omar202 ! @Laurelle3 thank you so much for sharing all you are doing to be sustainable hosts - solar panels are next on our list!! I just wish we had the same amount of sunshine here in Wales as you do in Australia!

And I just loved hearing about your wormery and pumpkins too!! Squashes are one of my absolute favourites too and we grow pumpkins every year which are ready by Halloween here just in time for my children to enjoy - and isn't the soup just the best.

Growing your own food has to be one of the most satisfying feelings I think, I find it so addictive! And it's so lovely to share these little snippets of your way of life with your guests!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Wow @Laurelle3  I really love and appreciate what you're doing. Would be very interested to hear more about the worm garden and will look into how to set one up. Inspiring! Thankyou. I will also think about the Eco things we do as well and include them in our Listing in due course.

Hello @Lizzie thanks for this introduction  and a warm welcome extended to @Omar202 

Is there a formal procedure - besides finding related topics' tags and posting there - whereby CC coordinators coordinate the gathering of host issues from geographical areas which represent key market characteristics (i.e. resort beach listings). How can hosts bring such issues in a coordinated fashion, for example without each host posting an issue that exists already, and how where from can these hosts be kept abreast of the progress of the issues?  sort of a dashbroad for all hosts.  #HostAdvisoryBoard  Thanks

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

HI @Konstantinos0 thanks for the warm welcome, I really appreciated it.

I concur 100% with you that communication with our hosts community should be streamlined regardless of the geographical location so common concerns and opportunities can be raised and redirected in timely manner.

I acknowledge communication is key os rest assure we are working on this topic together with @Lizzie and our valued CC moderators to improve it.

In the meantime I will really appreciate if you keep us in the loop by using the #HostAdvisoryBoard so the HAB members can jump in and contribute to the discussion.

Regards,

Omar

Harish15
Level 2
Chennai, India

@Lizzie @Konstantinos0 even I had the same query! #HostAdvisoryBoard could create some way of collating the issues faced by hosts and take them up for discussion at the Executive Board.

Sounds good this idea for the #HostAdvisoryBoard @Lizzie and @omar202 

Thanks for your input

Christine2476
Level 2
McHenry, IL

hi