February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

February: Host Advisory Board Spotlight

Hello everyone,

Thank you to everyone who introduced themselves to the Host Advisory Board (HAB) earlier this month, it was a great conversation. 

As we are nearing the end of February, I'm pleased to share the next spotlight and update from @Omar202, who is representing the group this month. Take a look at his article in the Airbnb Resource Center here

We want to continue the conversation here in the Community Center, so feel free to share any thoughts in this discussion below. If you want to highlight any topics elsewhere in the Community Center to the HAB, you can use the tag #HostAdvisoryBoard.

Thank you for all the kind words and constructive ideas/feedback you have shared so far with the HAB, they really appreciate your support.

Lizzie (and all of the EN CC team)

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

72 Replies 72

I love your wind turbine idea @Mary996 !  I would prefer a completely separate logo that could be placed next to the superhost logo so that we can have it stand out more.  Part of my motivation is to provide an opportunity for hosts who already might qualify to obtain the logo but also to serve as a motivator for hosts who might consider trying to earn the logo.   

If this does get to the Executive Board for deliberation, as I hope it does, it's imperative that the board solidify some kind of point system toward earning the logo. While encouraging guests to recycle or add food scraps to the compost bin could certainly earn points, these initiatives should not be weighted nearly as heavily as clean energy/ healthy living infrastructure.  Pollinator gardens and substantial tree plantings could also earn points, but again, the largest points should be from the greatest investments toward sustainability.

Could someone please explain the level system here?  I keep seeing number rise!  Thank you for engaging @Anna1403 @Omar202 

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hey @Guy129  I meant a static image ... was visualising the wheel of a multi fanned windmill as a picture, like an old American Ranch style one... and I agree the greatest reward be for those investing most (which might include an investment in lifestyle...) and a symbol alongside the Superhost, yes most practical.

So the blades of the windmill might be variously coloured with highest acolade in terms of structure being Gold (?brownish) coloured, but, because a windmill is circular other colours representing other values  be included too. I'm thinking how wonderful it would be to acknowledge genuine Tribepeople who might consider extending hospitality to us from whom we could learn (if we are receptive to the Ancient wisdoms of care for the earth that we do so desperately need), and that perhaps some other colour might be dedicated to Tribespeople's ways as really being the highest example of environmentally friendly (which our culture has been devastating... but that with appreciation might recover and manifest again).... as I do visualise and invite others to as well.

In addition on the wheel further colours might represent some of the other activities referred to here @Laurelle3 @Lizzie 

I love your idea and don't want to frustrate it. What about a competition which allows participants to fully consider and to represent their ideas artistically. I'm no artist but know someone who is @Dale711 .

I am excited about this entering the 'in process' new system of representation and would love to see it going as a formal 'request' via, #HAB, to the exec. Seeing this through politically is why I'm here. Love caucases and process... however tenuous and slow. It is soooo worthwhile in the end. xxxxxxxx

Actually do you already have a symbol in mind???? How do you feel about a Competition? This could be advanced in whole as your idea if your prefer @Guy129 .

@Omar202  Can you guide us? When is the next HAB meeting when this could be addressed please?  Or Omar would you prefer that it is moved to another Month to be brought forward by a HAB member who shares the passion of@Guy129 .

What you could do @Guy129 is go through the List of HAB members and lobby for representation. Possibly @Anna1403 might be willing to take this forward when it is her month of 'spotlight'.....????

Hi @Mary996 

First and foremost, thank you for continuing the dialog.

Certainly a competition for a logo symbol would engage more hosts, which is just what we want to do.  This should be a collaborative effort.  I have no predetermined idea about what it should look like.

Earning the  logo endorsement will probably be most meaningful and impactful if it's just one threshold that all hosts must cross to earn it, just like with the superhost endorsement.   I don't envision multiple sustainability logos.

I don't know how you would incorporate indigenous sustainable practices, but if there are indigenous hosts who would like to weigh in on ideas, let's find out!

In order for this idea to move forward, it would require thoughtful dialog at a HAB meeting. Hosts could also be surveyed as a follow-up.   My hope is that @Anna1403  and @Omar202  take it up in earnest with the rest of the HAB and then report back on their deliberations.

My objective on this platform was to start a conversation. Making this happen would take extended dialog, interaction and research, but if it did the Airbnb community could officially become part of the sustainability solution. 

Omar202
Host Advisory Board Alumni
México D.F., Mexico

Hi @Guy129 

Regarding the level system on the CC, this is directly related to the level of interaction and engagement, that is why you see yours is increasing so this is in fact a very good sign 👍 @Lizzie please correct me in case I'm wrong 😊

@Anna1403 and I will be glad to to take your valuable recommendations about sustainability practices, recognition and qualification criteria to earn a sustainability badge, that is an awesome idea!

Many thanks to you and @Mary996 for this insightful conversation and interaction about sustainability!

Sincerely,

Omar 

Thanks so much @Omar202 !

@Mary996 and others I'm sure join me in looking forward to learning about your deliberations.  The HAB is well-placed to for such a dialog.

Best regards,

Guy

Long Island, New York

Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

Thanks  so much @Omar202!  Yes, @guy129, exactly what @Omar202 said! We are listening to all your valuable feedback and this topic is something the HAB feel so passionate about! 

Hello @Omar202 @Anna1403 @Mary996 

After a long cold snap, we've had three consecutive warm days in New York, so I've started my many spring gardening chores!

I located an informative blog that provides a definition of sustainable homes and offers a comprehensive, though certainly not an exhaustive list with even more links:

25 Ways to Make Your Home Sustainable

https://blog.constellation.com/2020/01/07/ways-to-make-your-house-more-sustainable/

It discusses some of the ones we've discussed, but not others such as EV charging stations. Interesting discussion on window upgrades, which certainly should be considered as one possible way to earn points toward a logo. 

Probably, a fair and realistic way would be to come up with a threshold of points that could be obtained in a variety of ways.

Anna1403
Newgale, United Kingdom

This is so great thanks so much for sharing @Guy129! Yes, it’s amazing how weather / draft proofing, insulating and double glazing can hugely improve your energy efficiency - our old farmhouse here was built in 1650 (some of our stone walls are over a meter thick!) we had so many drafts and cold spots - we have transformed upstairs though purely with insulating internal walls and new windows! We have quite a lot of government grant schemes for this in the U.K. (particularly loft insulation) which is great!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Really appreciate this thoughtful post @Guy129 and all the tips. Was just thinking I should maybe dress the windows with something although I do love the unobstructed light coming in.

Yes I agree to the concept of point building...with a threshold to be achieved.

Guy129
Level 3
New York, NY

Hello Host Advisory Board,

Please consider discussing a sustainability feature.  Incorporating a sustainability logo could have significant benefits for our environment, and it would be a terrific way for Airbnb to become part of the solution.

Hosts could highlight features such as solar panels, air source and ground to water heat pumps, EV charging stations, geothermal systems, energy efficiency upgrades, and water filtration systems. 

In the future, some hosts could even provide tours to describe the sustainable features they've incorporated into their homes.  Certain collaborative events with sustainable businesses that hosts have hired to complete work could also be featured.

Give guests opportunities to book their values!   It's another way to provide guests with meaningful options to feel connected with a sense of place.  Seeing a logo with this kind of feature could be very motivating for guests, just like seeing a superhost logo.

Thank you for your consideration,

Guy Jacob

Long Island, New York

Harish15
Level 2
Chennai, India

Hi @Lizzie @Omar202 I'm Harish, a host from India. I have a beautiful apartment in the southern part of Indian beach destination state Goa, and have been hosting through Airbnb since'16. I've enjoyed the journey very much and have tried to make my apartment stay more comfortable based on guests' feedback. I would also like to contribute to the host community through the #EN CC. While I'm aware of the#HostAdvisoryBoard being formed through a newsletter of Airbnb, I'm not aware of any further progress on the same. I just stumbled upon this conversation and realised that a lot is happening on the background to connect the host community. Is there some way everyone could be kept upto speed on all the discussions in the host community? We all need support of each other in these difficult times. That said, I'm really thankful to you guys for the efforts you put into what you're doing! All the best!

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi Harish @Harish15 

Great to have your contribution. I've been to Channai..... It was wonderful! 

This is very timely as the HAB #HostAdvisoryBoard 

is just starting out. We need to create a way to forward issues, through them, to the Executive Board (the Leadership) by agreeing amongst ourselves what the priorities are to go forward. Great to have you on board to participate xx

Hi!  Omar,

Thanks for your act of inspiring and helping people for taking  hosting  as a passion.

I too joined the Airbnb community during September'2019. 

I joined Airbnb because I love to interact with people and share experience.

During Covid months I could send good wishes to most of my guests and to my surprise I got response form most of them. This is simply not possible in a hotel format.  

Recently, I could connect with my first Guest Mr. Rohit through on- line video connect. I could introduce this unique connect  of hospitality to one my known Young final year student of Hotel Management. 

It is now clear that it is not the luxury of amenities that matters .  It is more of a sense of care  in subtle form  works deeply  with  Guests who loves the special homely stay format of Airbnb. 

This home loving travellers are normally peaceful and touchy.

I had no such experience of damage etc so far. 

Recently, I could get two Guests from international destination after a gap of almost 12months. One from Taipei and next from UK. 

It was an excellent opportunity to reintroduce myself to this international hosting world. They are simply excellent.

I do wish all the best to the entire Hosting community of Airbnb through your medium.

Take care.

regards

Sumit 

Omar202
México D.F., Mexico

Greetings @Sumit26

Thanks for sharing your hosting story and passion, I truly found it very inspirational.

I love the ways you always look to connect and care for your guests during the Pandemic, that is definitively going above and beyond and very admirable, congratulations!

I think travel reactivation will be happening very soon and with this a new chapter to be written on your hosting journey to continue doing and enjoying what you love the most - Hosting -  By the way my fellow HAB teammate @Pooja30 is in Bengaluru too so you may want to connect with her and join our hosts community there 😉

Please receive my best wishes from Mexico

Sincerely,

Omar

Araceli86
Level 2
Montreal, Canada

Hello @Omar22 

Congratulations on your effort and 

very interesting story about your experience in hosting.

I'm new to this experience of hosting and in this community also, and I like ❤️  to know more about coaching and education from you to become a successful host.

I'm from Aguascalientes, Mexico living in Montreal, Canada.

My listing is in Aguascalientes.

Hope to hear soon from you.

Sincerely 

Araceli