March: Host Advisory Board Spotlight‌‌

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

March: Host Advisory Board Spotlight‌‌

Hiya everyone!

We've been seeing more of the Host Advisory Board members in the Community Center and it was great to meet some of them at our social meet-up the other day too.

It's time for us to share the March Spotlight member and their update from the Host Advisory Board’s activity: the wonderful @Merrydith0  from Tasmania, who is representing the group this month. Take a look at this article in the Airbnb Resource Center for more details of her journey to Hosting, joining the board and what the board members have been up to last month.

So you are able to start a conversation, we made this thread so you can reply below. 

Many thanks,

Stephanie

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

81 Replies 81

I think that that suggestion came from @Cathie19  she expressed concern about the loss of Superhost status. Cathie was probably well received because it was her thought, which happened to be something that needed addressing, and was sincerely expressed. It maybe that HAB are going through our conversations and picked up on Cathie's point which was a good one....and will be selecting pertinent subjects (on behalf of the Company most likely yes) but that doesn't mean that we can't be influencers... you have played your part in the role of presenting our perspectives and have done well. 

It wasn't my place to name you as a possible Rep. I'm sorry I put you in that position. But I do think that organising ourselves to elect our own mouthpieces is constructive. I accept not for you at this point... but perhaps in due course. x  For me however having someone who is going to be respectful is very important.

Also dear Mike please would you mind your manner . We may disagree but I don't need upper case emphasis to hear your point. I believe that I do get it but that we see things differently.

Exactly it's farcical - this was decided long before this  board became 'active' @MikeAndJane0

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

Hi @Merrydith0 

Welcome welcome welcome!

Great to meet you and thanks for all that you've been doing for Hosts and for coming forward in this space to collect our concerns and to work through them in order to create appeal at the Exec for implementing. I believe in you....!!!!!! xxxxxxxxxxxxxx 

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

@Merrydith0  

Can You please reply to the questions I have asked upthread:

"Thank You. I'm afraid I didn't clearly say what I wanted to say.

My understanding of the HAB was, that we, the international Host Community, would make proposals to the HAB members. These proposals would be discussed in public on here, then there would be some kind of voting to select the most supported proposals and then You, the HAB-members, would present said proposals to the airbnb-management.

Is this how the HAB is intended to work or does it work differently?"

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Community-Center-Updates/March-Host-Advisory-Board-Spotlight/m-p...

Merrydith0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Lenah Valley, Australia

Hi @Mary996  @Ute42  @Mike-And-Jane0  @Colleen253  @Stephanie 

You are right I have signed an NDA. There are things I cannot talk about in here. However,  I cannot talk about the ‘process’ of gathering information from here because I don’t know what it is. I asked around and was told by some that there was some talk about a ‘process’, but as I am new to the CC I had not heard any of it. In Australia I talk to hosts via our club Facebook page or Messenger. So I am not used to the attacking style of communication used here. I am really sorry, but I am not a negative person, I like to think along positive lines. My work with the HAB fills me with positivity because the work we do is very positive, and the  other members are very positive as well.  I can only speak as I know. We are pushing for all the same things you want, because as hosts, we have experienced 

all the same issues as you.  Thankyou for your positive comments and please know that I HAVE listened to every host. I will continue to come to the CC and listen to comments and suggestions. My intentions are honest, I am working very hard for you and every other host in the community. I am on zoom meetings hours and hours every week  as well as my work in the Australian Community, I am not doing it for no reason. I can sympathize and empathize  but I cannot comment on things that are being worked on - they will be released by Airbnb once completed.  

@Merrydith0 

it’s a great pleasure to meetings  you. 

Having you on a team of HAB make a huge different. The team will definitely enjoyed working with you.it’s incredible how thorough HAB work is, I can seek that even when the going get tough, you continue to have the best attitude! 

Things have definitely been crazy lately, but you’re crushing it. 
As a Airbnb host, I’m fully support the HAB members.I believe the HAB members will always find a ways to get it done- and done well!! 
                                                          “ Thank you!” 

Merrydith0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Lenah Valley, Australia

@Dale711 

Thank you for your kind words. I always try to stay positive, but I won’t be pushed either. It is nice that you understand.

@Merrydith0 It's unfortunate that you see simple, direct and valid questions as 'attacking style of communications', and imply that those asking the questions are negative. 

Re " I cannot talk about the ‘process’ of gathering information from here because I don’t know what it is. I asked around and was told by some that there was some talk about a ‘process’, but as I am new to the CC I had not heard any of it."

I will repeat my earlier post below, and again point out that it was Airbnb that shared with the host community that the HAB would be coming up with a formal process for gathering ideas from said community. When they say 'host community' I really have no idea whether they are talking about the CC or not, and I'm not sure it matters. Perhaps you could check with Airbnb on that. 

"In this Airbnb article

https://www.airbnb.ca/resources/hosting-homes/a/how-were-giving-hosts-a-seat-at-the-table-283?locale...

it says about the HAB

• For the inaugural group, they’ll also determine the selection process for future Advisory Board members and develop a formal process for gathering ideas from the host community.

This is what I'm wondering about. Can you clarify? Thanks @Merrydith0 "

@Colleen253@Ute42 

“ Hi @Colleen253  

I believe the formal process is something that needs to be talked about by the CC moderators. I am unable to answer your question or another question on similar lines. Sorry, but please know I am listening to all of you.” 

"@Ute42 

The topic of reviews is being worked on and I know it has been made public that we are, but I still can't talk about any specifics......................."

“ You are right I have signed an NDA. There are things I cannot talk about in here....................... My work with the HAB fills me with positivity because the work we do is very positive, and the other members are very positive as well. 
I can only speak as I know...........................................................

I cannot comment on things that are being worked on - they will be released by Airbnb once completed. “ 

I have totally lost count?
How many times that @Merrydith0 have to clarity to yours!???

What is yours motivation for bringing up the same question again and again? “ Clarification?! “

Tone-deaf?!

« glisser-déposer » ?!

@Dale711   Per my question, I addressed it again as it seemed to me that @Merrydith0  misunderstood me. She appeared to think I was talking about a CC process specifically. She did not say that it was something she couldn’t talk about because it was in discussion already. Had she been specific about that, I would have left it at that.  Rather, she appeared not to have gotten the memo from Airbnb at all. So for me, yes some clarity was still needed. I can see I won’t be getting any so no need for you or Merrydith to respond again. I’m content to walk away from this post.

And in fact @Dale711 , I would prefer you not to tag me anymore on this forum at all, as I don’t care to be shouted at and spoken to rudely. 

@Colleen253 

I”ll consider to respect your point of view.

As a Matt of fact, I ‘m not the person who’s try to being irrational  to others members in the forum.

@Merrydith0 its unfortunate that you see simple, direct and valid question as ‘ attacking style of communication” and imply that those asking the question are negative.”

@Colleen253 

Nevertheless, can you point it out to me, “ How to block someone in the CC?” 

No need to block, @Dale711  Just don't put the little '@' symbol in front of my CC name in posts.

See this tutorial if you need more information. But be sure not to follow it, in my case.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Tips-Tutorials/How-to-mention-someone-Tutorial/m-p/494851#M200

Thanks!

@Colleen253 

Again, I  will definitely consider your perspective not  to tag you in the forum.

But what happen if Is a “ En conséquence” 
In France high culture, if we address to some one, we will  make sure they get the notifications, This had been stater from the 17 th century, as the  French  history positive influences manner.

As a matter of fact, as you mentioning,

“ Slightly amusing that the intro to this post ended with "So you are able to start a conversation, we made this thread so you can reply below." There apparently is no conversation allowed.” 

Indeed, the link you provided above is not the answer I need,. Nevertheless, “ block” is the best solution, may be the HAB have times to look into it.

You’re the most welcome ! “ De rien”

Cher Madame Collen,

You have set up the rules, and we shouldn't tagging each other in the forum. Yet, you’ve violated the terms on 22 April.

https://community.withairbnb.com/t5/Hosting/Guest-Profile-Location/m-p/1439557#M342151

You has been treat your own rules with irreverence and disrespectful.

Violator behavior is not appropriate in the community.

Regina114
Level 5
Laguna Hills, CA

I have a question.  Is any host geting a lower quality of guests?