New strict cancellation policy update

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New strict cancellation policy update

Hello everyone,

The Airbnb team heard feedback from you and the host community about the upcoming change to our Strict cancellation policy. In order to address your concerns, we’re delaying the change until May 1, 2018.

Before the change goes into effect, we’ll share more about what we’re doing to address your concerns, particularly around protecting your listing details from being shared with guests who cancel. But for now, we’d like to clear up some confusion and help you better understand the new policy and how it will benefit the whole community:

Here’s how the new grace period policy will work—and some of the protections we have in place for hosts:

Limited-time refund within 48 hours after booking when the check-in date is at least 14 days away

Guests must cancel within 48 hours after booking and can only cancel if their check-in date is 14+ days away. This means that no matter how far out your guests book, they only have 48 hours from the time they book to cancel for free. We want to make sure that if guests change their mind, you have enough time to get another booking.

Three refunds per year per guest

To prevent abuse, guests are limited to three fully refunded cancellations a year.

No full refunds for overlapping bookings

To make sure guests are not making multiple bookings and then cancelling, any booking made by a guest when they already have an active booking for those dates will not be covered under our grace period policy.

Your hosting success is top of mind for us, and tests of this policy—including among hosts with strict cancellation policies in place—strongly suggest the change will result in increased bookings and successful stays. With this grace period, not only do guests book with more confidence, but they also have the ability to resolve booking mistakes without requiring your valuable time and intervention.

We value your feedback, and will follow up shortly with more insight into how your ideas are shaping this policy.

Thanks,

Lizzie

----------Update April 24th, 2018----------

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know there is now an update regarding protecting your listing details, as mentioned above. 

Here is the link to take a look: An update on the Strict Cancellation Policy

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1,325 Replies 1,325

@David8879  I was not aware of the strict cancellation policy when I booked with host. (Also, first time booking with Airbnb.) Originally, I booked at a different listing (with moderate cancellation policy) and the host requested I cancel due to incorrect schedule and recommended I book at one of her other listings. I was "nice" enough to stay at one of her other listings since it met my requirements, however, I did not realize it had a different cancellation policy (strict) from my original booking. By the time I noticed, one week later (and 6 months from the stay), it was too late to cancel for full refund. I eventually had to cancel and take the hit after weeks of going back and forth with customer service.

I do not blame the host for this policy. If it wasn't for Airbnb's inability to provide a full refund for both guest and host for this situation, then host and I would both be okay with cancelling with full refund. Unfortunately, cancellation costs both the host and guest under strict cancellation policy.

Lesson learned. Will be more vigilant of cancellation policy when booking.

@Kamila68 IF both you and the host request a neutral cancellation then you will be refunded in full and the host will not be penalised. 

@Mike-And-Jane0 Well it seems like either host or customer service lied to me. That is what I originally thought, but host tells me one thing and customer service another. 

@Kamila68 I suggest you message the host saying you have taken advice and that a neutral (both parties agreeing) cancellation would generate a refund with no penalties. Ask if the host will agree to this.

Where can I read more about the neutral cancellation policy?

They have travel insurance now? Wow! That's great! Do you have a link to it? I want to put it on my listing? Can people who book through VRBO use it? I just had a guest who wanted to do a "date change" 8 days away from check-in. Her grandmother is sick so I told her to get their travel insurance and they declined her. So, now I'm the monster who is "screwing" her over because I wouldn't do the "date change" on check in day, when she found out that she was declined.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Hello @Lizzie

Thanks it's good to hear that Airbnb are reviewing this.

When I trialled using it, I had three cancellations in three weeks (before that I had three cancellations in two and a half years).

Based on my figures from last year, I haven't seen an increase in bookings.

I do hope they reconsider for hosts with a strict cancellation policy. I wouldn't have chosen this if I wanted guests to be able to cancel their bookings without penalty.

I could perhaps see the value of say a 12 hour window but 48 hours is  far too long.

And as I have mentioned before I am very concerned about Airbnb disclosing my full details before the guest has a confirmed booking. They should only have this once the cancellation free period has passed.

Very good point Lizzie!

Makes no sense at all from Airbnb, Sometimes during busy periods strict policies need to be used. 14 days in nowhere near enough time to be looking for new guests.  During busy periods hosts rely on being fully booked in advance and have the calendar all planned, especially for hosts with more than 1 room / accommodation.  Regarding the disclosure of full details... this is perfect for the hosts but makes no sense for Airbnb.  A guest can easily get the details, cancel the reservation then contact the host directly and cut out all the added costs for both parties.  A much, much shorter window without disclosing any details makes more sense.  If Airbnb go ahead with these new policies that means we will not be able to offer our rooms during our peak season or busy times of the year when Airbnb could actually be making the most money from hosts.  If other hosts also close out the rooms during their busy / important times of year when they can not afford to be getting bookings then cancellations Airbnb will in turn be down financially as hosts will use other platforms with better, safer polices to sell their rooms during impiortant times of the year.
Please reconsider what you are doing Airbnb.  
Different policies at different times of year is all for a very good reason.  

Could not have said it better myself! Thank you Sombat1

Totally agree... two full-season cancellations in the last two years and we lost a few thousands. 

Independent hosts don't have the capacity to network and rent in a short period of time after the cancelation. I usually take all year to get the bookings that cover the high season and if they cancel... the house stays empty... 

I completely agree. I do longer lets of 14 days minimum and Im trying to get a very few long rentals during the summer period only. It would be impossible to find new guests on sort a short notice! For us who can't do short lets, there must be a very strict option.

Please reconsider what you are doing Airbnb.

I  Live in a state that  the Governor makes changes every everyone every 15 days she is flipping everyone out! ! I really don’t want people who have the problem on  my property!  I can not do everything that you need to do in the three hours. My cleaning crew charges 40.00 each and they stay in and do everything but if I have a full book I don’t know how I am going to spray everything down with disinfectant.

Well said... 12 hrs or max 24 hrs is more than sufficient for cancellation. Max 1 or 2 times cancellation should be allowed for that particular guest. 14 days is also too short a time to try to get booking... at least 30-45 days.

Totally agree Helen.. It's actually violation of our privacy... And not safe at all.