New strict cancellation policy update

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New strict cancellation policy update

Hello everyone,

The Airbnb team heard feedback from you and the host community about the upcoming change to our Strict cancellation policy. In order to address your concerns, we’re delaying the change until May 1, 2018.

Before the change goes into effect, we’ll share more about what we’re doing to address your concerns, particularly around protecting your listing details from being shared with guests who cancel. But for now, we’d like to clear up some confusion and help you better understand the new policy and how it will benefit the whole community:

Here’s how the new grace period policy will work—and some of the protections we have in place for hosts:

Limited-time refund within 48 hours after booking when the check-in date is at least 14 days away

Guests must cancel within 48 hours after booking and can only cancel if their check-in date is 14+ days away. This means that no matter how far out your guests book, they only have 48 hours from the time they book to cancel for free. We want to make sure that if guests change their mind, you have enough time to get another booking.

Three refunds per year per guest

To prevent abuse, guests are limited to three fully refunded cancellations a year.

No full refunds for overlapping bookings

To make sure guests are not making multiple bookings and then cancelling, any booking made by a guest when they already have an active booking for those dates will not be covered under our grace period policy.

Your hosting success is top of mind for us, and tests of this policy—including among hosts with strict cancellation policies in place—strongly suggest the change will result in increased bookings and successful stays. With this grace period, not only do guests book with more confidence, but they also have the ability to resolve booking mistakes without requiring your valuable time and intervention.

We value your feedback, and will follow up shortly with more insight into how your ideas are shaping this policy.

Thanks,

Lizzie

----------Update April 24th, 2018----------

Hello everyone,

Just to let you know there is now an update regarding protecting your listing details, as mentioned above. 

Here is the link to take a look: An update on the Strict Cancellation Policy

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

1,325 Replies 1,325
Damian-Ariel0
Level 2
Mar Chiquita, Argentina

Para mi el sistema de cancelacion esta mal ,ya que nuestra propiedad tiene solo 60 dias de temporara de alquiler ,y uno cuenta con ese dinero y se tiene armado el calendario de reservas y si cancelan se complica para poder volver alquilar la propiedad ,no me convence ese tipo de flexibilidad,reconsideraremos si nos combiene seguir con airbnb.

Elizabeth1266
Level 1
East Greenwich, RI

SOS!  Can anyone provide me with an actual phone number to contact airbnb?  Unless it's right under my nose on the site and I'm missing it.  Thanks

Donna271
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Try going to the option for “help” and “contact us” there is option for email message or phone call 

Farihd0
Level 2
Miami, FL

I thing 48 hours it's to much, we need teach the guest to respect the host, I work in fours seasons hotel 

Sol71
Level 1
Hollywood, FL

I like the new policy. It helps to know that we are not so vunerable and our calendar is protecred that way. 

Thank you for the change. 

Sol 

Marie1471
Level 1
Honolulu, HI

Airbnb is here to make money and not protect hosts...Their cancellation policy is so ellusive, unless you know where to look for the small prints and that's where they get you. Not only did they let my guests book from a third party, cancel 48 hours after they checked-in, with one click. I lost two weeks of reservations worth. They where no support at all. They hide details in a page that I had never seen before. ..Oh but they took their share and left me with nothing.

This is not good for us.  Our home is a vacation spot and we have 3 main months a year to rent.  So if you allow cancelllations someone besides us looses being able to enjoy our home.  Very DISAPPOINTED in this.

It should be my choice.

Sarra8
Level 1
North Vancouver, Canada

This new policy is poorly thought out. All the major platforms show most Guests plan their travel several weeks in advance. A cancelation 14-16 days out without penalty increases the risk of my suite going unfilled.  This is not a reasonable risk, I see no upside for hosts and I will not put up with it during peak season so other platforms will get even more of my business.  Privacy protections also seem to be getting trampled. I hope your senior management is paying attention to all of these angry hosts and reverses this ill advised decision before AirBnB loses a significant piece of the market!

Wendy713
Level 1
Ramona, CA

I said nothing, so dont send emails that imply that I did. Also I DO NOT want your magizine I have called and asked to not recieve it. Please take me off the list ASAP!

Vera255
Level 2
Buleleng, Indonesia

Thank You For The Email

Vera255
Level 2
Buleleng, Indonesia

Thank you for the email

for now I can only talk ... while watching every comment ... because I don't have money yet-----https://paketwisatatamansimalem.com

Luciana299
Level 2
Camaçari, BR

Acho uma proposta interessante, mas tenho uma sugestao.

No meu caso em especifico existem dois periodos em que nao posso flexibilizar o cancelamento.

No periodo de reveillon e  carnaval preciso manter minha politica de cancelamento rigorosa pois sao periodos em que o valor da diaria e mais elevado devido a alta procura e havendo um cancelamento de ultima hora e possivel que eu nao consiga alugar novamente porque as pessoas se planejam com antecedencia.

A minha sugestao e que o anfitriao ao elaborar o seu pacote de diarias possa escolher a politica de cancelamento. Da mesma forma como e possivel escolher o numero de diarias para montar um pacote, ser possivel escolhermos tambem a politica de cancelamento que precisamos aplicar para periodos especificos.

Nos demais periodos do ano e plenamente possivel flexibilizar a politica de cancelamento, mas preciso manter a politica rigorosa pelo ano inteiro apenas por causa do periodo de alta procura do reveillon e carnaval.

Maria3439
Level 1
Stockholm, Sweden

Great! Thanks!

Paul1106
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I'm 100%for the policy updates. My issues are with reviews, if guests argue a location they select is perfect  not be allowed to use location as a negative!