New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Hello everyone,

A warm welcome to the Community Center. 

This discussion is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb Community members, as well as welcoming and saying hello to newcomers in return. Thanks to all of you who have already introduced yourself and contributed in our previous thread, here.  

I'm Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here, along with my teammate @Quincy. I have been managing the Airbnb Community Center since it officially opened in November 2015. It is fantastic to speak with amazing community members here. 

To kickstart this topic, I would like to share a few things about myself:

1. I love to travel, hot or cold it doesn't matter - I'm ready with my sun lotion or a raincoat! 
  2. I play several instruments, but my main one is the flute. I always enjoy a good conversation about music. 
  3. Lastly, over the past year I have become very interested in all things eco/sustainablilty related.

How about you? Any interesting facts or hobbies?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

456 Replies 456
Michelle2315
Level 2
QC, Philippines

Hello everyone! I’m Michelle from the Philippines. I’m not so new here at Airbnb as a guest but relatively new to hosting as i just started renting out the other room of my condo unit. I would love meeting other members of the community and look forward to share my space with you. 

Christine2629
Level 1
Tolga, Australia

Hello

My name is Christine and I have recently joined the Community Centre just in case I need advice regarding Airbnb topics.

I have been an Airbnb Host since 2018 and thoroughly enjoy it.

My husband and I are both semi retired and we enjoy travelling about in our poptop/caravan to different areas around Australia.  We  have also done a little overseas travelling and would like to do more when everything comes back to near normality.

My Airbnb is in Palm Cove, north of Cairns in far north Queensland, Australia where the climate is one of the reasons we live in the area!

I am in my 60's now and try to be wiser in my older years but sometimes I do need a hand especially with all the technology that is around in this day and age.

I keep active by riding a bicycle, walking, gardening and social tennis when I can get to a court!

Cheers for now

Christine

Nancy1359
Level 2
Arcadia, OK

Hi, Linzie and Quincy, my name is Tim and my wife Nancy and I began Airbnb when we purchased our home in Galveston, TX, just three blocks from the seawall and Pleasure Pier.  

We were fortunate to find a mentor in Galveston who has five or more homes that he owns, all of which are dedicated rentals.  It's his business, and that has been very helpful.  He immediately turned us onto the need for professional pictures and it is essential in my opinion.  

He also turned me onto PriceLabs, which I also find essential and most helpful.  Dealing with the Covid 19 right off the bat has been difficult to say the least, but we were able to find a renter who took our home for 72 days and we overcame the short term rental ban in Galveston.  

I look forward to using the Community as I have a whole lot to learn!

Dinesh37
Level 2
Accra, Ghana

Hi. My name is Dinesh and I'm a host from Ghana. 

I found this community because I was in a spot of bother and I figured the members on here might be able to help with finding a solution, and they did, for which I'm so grateful. I hope to get some more insight into the best way to host and I look forward to interacting with you. I'm also a semi-professional photographer.

Thanks for welcoming me in!

Dinesh

Richard1952
Level 2
Kingston, Canada

Hi, my name is Richard. I am a host on Airbnb and am new to this online community. 

1. I enjoy hosting as it allows me to help people make the best out of visiting our beautiful area. 

2. I enjoy playing golf and soccer. I enjoy watching basketball. 

3. My wife is originally from Costa Rica and I am planning to travel there with my wife and daughter to visit her family. 

Thank you

Richard

Hi Lizzie, good morning to everyone!
I am Ferraz & Barretto and I love to travel too, for me it is an honor to participate in this chat and community. I will need your help a lot, I am recent in this brilliant business. A hug for everyone.
I'm Brazilian, cheerful from Bahia. Thanks for the opportunity.

My name is

CLEIDE

Juan2891
Level 2
Hanoi, Vietnam

Hi everyone

My name is Hoan (Juan) from Vietnam

First of all, sorry if my english not so good

I have listed my property on Airbnb for 1 years but i just got few booking. Can anyone teach me how to do this, how to get more and more booking

Thank you very much

Welcome Juan. Hope that even a newcomer like me can help!

Hi Juan, I speak french so my english written is not better than yours, don't worry.  Be yourself, happy, having smile, offering something special and take time to listen what they say and what they wrote in their comments.  You have also to sell your place I mean, when the visitors book to your place, it's the best place, ask the right price and ask something for the cleaning also, you can give a discount if the people stay more than 3 days.  I'm not following all the advices like 20 or 40%.  If they book more than one week its a 10% ans 20%, I'm trying it. I dont know if I will get something, I will see.  So good luck and dont forget, Covid 19 decrease the market this year.  We have to work more in marketing 🙂

Loulou
Dzintra1
Level 1
Bendigo, Australia

Hi everyone. My name is Dzintra - pronounced Zin-tra...Latvian. We live in Bendigo, Victoria, which is about 120km from Melbourne. We have been members of AirBnB since 2011.  We have a completely renovated miner's cottage at the front of the property where guests stay, and we added a very modern extension where my partner and I live. We enjoy meeting people and promoting Bendigo. Its great when guests come back to stay. The only problem is our kids have to book in when they want to come up for the weekend. We are a 10 minute walk from the CBD , restaurants, the Art Gallery.

We hardly use our car.

I am really looking forward to hearing what you are all doing.

The virus is having a huge impact, but the most important thing is to manage the virus successfully.

I hope you are all safe and well.

Amalia116
Level 2
Payson, AZ

Hello, I have a new short term rental that opened up in December of 2019 and learning the ropes. My husband and son help me, so its a family run business. We live in a rural, mountain town and love camping, fishing, boating—all that is outdoors. Love hosting and regret that I can no longer meet my guests face to face because of covid. I have learned tons from this forum and others and have made mistakes. My first mistake was not realizing that when you agree to a 15 % newcomer discount that that is multiplied if you also have a monthly discount. I practically gave away my rental to a 3 mth renter! Ouch. They did take great care of the place and gave me a good review but it took longer to get my superhost status. Look forward to learning more from this forum.

Hi Amalia,  

I love having short time rental on Airbnb, most recently due to covid  doing long term . We are starting our 4 th year in May2021. We have met so many people from all over the world. It is fun to meet new friends and have them to return. My husband and I are retired and this has been a wonderful way to help with expenses to maintain our home. We have our own entrance. to the basement apt so we live on the property while our guest feel total privacy while staying in the main part of the house. T have learned to that the discount can be more then you realize. What amazes me is how many people visit the midwest in the dead of winter. Our rental is located ten mins to downtown Omaha Ne where  there is so many avenues of events. Until this last year. Going from being totally booked until June (some for a year)  to nothing. But a past guest reached out to see about a longer stay. Wish was and is a true blessing for them and us. Again Airbnb meets so many needs. 

We have had a couple host stay and their feed back is always valuable information. Stay Safe and enjoy hosting! Looking forward to meeting more guest soon.

Jeff1668
Level 2
Valencia, Spain

Hi I'm Jeff, welcoming guests in Valencia.

My place is located near the big Turia Park with direct bus and metro to the beach.

Looking forward for tips to get the season started.

I have trained my staff in the new Covid 19 protocol

Now working to understand how to reflect this new safety in my listings

Mohammed197
Level 1
İstanbul, Turkey

Hello Everyone,

I am from Yemen but I live in Turket and I Own property. I am hosting those property but some of the neighbour told me that I can not do it legally because it is forbidden either Yearly contracts or not. Also, I work as Digital Marketer so I try my best to merge those two fields together to reach better results

Vincent769
Level 2
Washington, DC

Hello @Lizzie  and @Quincy!

I host an AirBnB with my wife in Washington and we try and utilize AirBnB when we travel. We love having the ability to cook our own breakfast to start the day. We've always thought of AirBnB as a unique platform where hosts can provide a unique experience above what a hotel might offer.  This might range form of personal touches to the apartment to a "living in the country" experience that you wouldn't otherwise get from a hotel chain. 

Way to go Lizzie on your eco-thoughts.  I have a MBA in Sustainable Business that makes me think through our decisions at the AirBnB. 

Cheers,

Vince