New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Hello everyone,

A warm welcome to the Community Center. 

This discussion is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb Community members, as well as welcoming and saying hello to newcomers in return. Thanks to all of you who have already introduced yourself and contributed in our previous thread, here.  

I'm Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here, along with my teammate @Quincy. I have been managing the Airbnb Community Center since it officially opened in November 2015. It is fantastic to speak with amazing community members here. 

To kickstart this topic, I would like to share a few things about myself:

1. I love to travel, hot or cold it doesn't matter - I'm ready with my sun lotion or a raincoat! 
  2. I play several instruments, but my main one is the flute. I always enjoy a good conversation about music. 
  3. Lastly, over the past year I have become very interested in all things eco/sustainablilty related.

How about you? Any interesting facts or hobbies?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

456 Replies 456
Faisal47
Level 1
Dubai, United Arab Emirates

Thanks to all my wonderful guests and it was a pleasure hosting and knowing them. I focus on offering an affordable safe and clean home to rent which is very different feel than staying in a hotel.

Nick2073
Level 2
Racine, WI

Hello Everyone!!

My name is Nick from Racine, Wisconsin.  I've been a host with one listing for about two years now and have absolutely loved it!  As of late I have been getting much longer term stays where guests will stay for 1 month or longer.  While the reduced income hasn't been favorable, the reduced cleaning work and maintenance has been welcomed with open arms!

Cheers everyone!!!

Nick

Barış10
Level 1
Kocaeli, Turkey

Hi everyone, This is Baris from Kocaeli, Turkey. I actually educated and worked for tourism business. I am in the business since 1993. As an ex travel agent staff AirBnB was our one of the biggest opponent. But now I am part of it. I have an apartment to rent on AirBnB. It is a very good experience to meet new people and earn money too. I guess this is the job for me after age of 46 🙂 

I am open all advises... 

Thanks and best regards from Turkey to the world...  

Jo691
Level 2
Warrnambool, Australia

Good luck to you Baris, I loved Turkey and found a kind of informal air bnb in 2006 in Turkey when my taxi driver let me stay in the lounge at his place in Bursa! Very kind and I hope life has gone well for him.

Jo691
Level 2
Warrnambool, Australia

Hi gang, I'm new and about to start reading other posts here. I've had 10 bookings so far, and resolved to only have one guest from now on, because I live here and two was overwhelming. So, I find, is having people work from 'home' if I am also home!

Found this page because I was hunting around to find out what happens if you give someone a good review, but still say you don't want them back again when air bnb asks that question. Will it affect whether they can find my place when they try to book again? I've had the problem others have written about where it is just a personality issue and no reflection on their ability to get on with other hosts.

Hello @Jo691   I’m in wanaka New Zealand,   I don’t know the answer to your question, but could you put a work station in the room, to encourage them to work in there ?  We’ve had a couple of “funny” people . .we don’t allow them in our space . . .but they have come and used our garden,   We’ve just shrugged and moved on,   Your space looks lovely, let’s hope we get a travel bubble .  

Michael5443
Level 2
Huntingdon, PA

Hi. I'm new to this conversation. I just want to say hello. I'm not sure what else to say, but hope everyone is having a Happy New Year so far.

Nick2073
Level 2
Racine, WI

Hello All,

Im still somewhat new to the community, but I were wondering how many of you might be interested in a company that helped Airbnb owners leverage their listings to earn additional income.  I am working on a startup whose goal is to do just that.  If you are interested, please comment below and I will reach out ((:

Were currently looking for ten hosts for our beta group.

Cheers!!
Nick

Greetings from Maine!

As a fairly newbie ABnB'er, I am hosting a Yurt-Tent with a hot-tub to attract guests.

A passion for travel has taken me to Brazil, Haiti, Paraquay, Tanzania, Spain, and Romania.

Gardening and Book Reading are other pastimes.

An interest in AirBnb Experiences is something looking into. Can anyone tell me how to combine the 2 of them (i.e Hosting Site & Experience Site) together.

Jacqueline726
Level 2
Rocky Mount, NC

Hello Everyone!  

My name is Jacqueline.   I have been hosting through Airbnb for two years.  I am excited to join the Community Center and connect with everyone.  I enjoy the outdoors, traveling, and spending time with my family.  I am looking forward to learning and sharing information.

Helen744
Level 10
Victoria, Australia

Hi am Helen from australia, i know a lot of folk are not able to host at the present time but in australia we still are or after a lockdown with no bookings between July and November 2020, but surely we can have a few updates that refer to 2021 or what hosts have been doing during their lockdowns or even the changing nature of airbnb. I am not alone here i know but many things have changed and airbnb management like so many others seems missing in action. i know some people who would love to be able to continue are unable to do so . How those who pulled a few irons out of the fire and soldiered on might be a good story. we suffered a lot of cancellations as a direct result of cancellations of events here in ballarat and were not compensated in any way although apparently some were and guests have the impression that we were "carried thru " covid which did not happen . we paid our bills and our mortgages out of our own pockets and a lot of people were not able to do that. We could not go on the ordinairy rental market because of the rights

of tenants would have prevented us getting back into airbnb. We also would have needed to remove all furniture and store it another big expense with no money coming in and no end in sight. we paid our bils and took the opportunity to update our house a little with carpets and floor treatments. We are lucky to be getting some bookings.There are no international travellers . we are still unsure but grateful for still being her. cheers Helen. you are not alone Jan 24 2021

Hi helen, from Wanaka New Zealand.

Let’s keep our fingers crossed for a travel bubble, we miss you guys,

pits not been too bad here, I’ve dropped my price dramatically, and it’s worked,

your place looks lovely,  

Benjamin851
Level 2
Whitehorse, Canada

Greetings from Yukon Territory everyone!! 

Asif31
Level 2
Caledon, Canada

Hi every body

My name is Asif Shahid and I am hosting a property in Niagara Falls Canada and two apartments in Caledon Ontario Canada. I am a retired Accounting and Finance industry. Worked long time in Hospitality industry.

The one big problem I am facing is to find the house keeping people who are reliable and cost effective. If some body could help me in this regards.

Br happy to be part of this community.   

Catherine2441
Level 1
Angel Fire, NM

Hi Lizzie and everyone! I new to hosting. So far it is fun and no problems. I love snow and sunshine. @Penny333 I have the same thing here in Angel Fire New Mexico, US. I had to increase my discounts to attract in state tourists. That helped me fill up. The out of state visitor's seem willing to pay a higher rate. I'm also allowing pets without an extra cleaning fee. It seemed to work. I was booked from New Year thru March and have a 20 day booking in June. Not Making much money but the house is paying for itself.  Good luck thru the rest of covid! Maybe in a year I can book your place for a couple of weeks.