New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Hello everyone,

A warm welcome to the Community Center. 

This discussion is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb Community members, as well as welcoming and saying hello to newcomers in return. Thanks to all of you who have already introduced yourself and contributed in our previous thread, here.  

I'm Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here, along with my teammate @Quincy. I have been managing the Airbnb Community Center since it officially opened in November 2015. It is fantastic to speak with amazing community members here. 

To kickstart this topic, I would like to share a few things about myself:

1. I love to travel, hot or cold it doesn't matter - I'm ready with my sun lotion or a raincoat! 
  2. I play several instruments, but my main one is the flute. I always enjoy a good conversation about music. 
  3. Lastly, over the past year I have become very interested in all things eco/sustainablilty related.

How about you? Any interesting facts or hobbies?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

456 Replies 456

Hi Lizzie, Quincy and beautiful people from

all over the world!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge here. I really appreciate it.

My name Shino and I’m an artist. I moved to Portland, OR U.S.A 3 years ago after living in Brooklyn, NY for 14 years and Cadiz, Spain for 2 years. 

This is our (my partner and myself) first time to try Airbnb.  I’ve been using Airbnb since 2013. 

Question:::::

Which mattress is the best?

Best,

Shino

Hi everyone ! My name is Candice and I’m from the beautiful island of Jamaica! I am an effervescent individual who loves meeting and interacting with persons from all walks of life . My background is in Hospitality&Tourism and I just started hosting last December.  I am enjoying it so far and looking forward to learning from you all on hosting tips ! 

Hello Lizzie and Quincy,

Very nice to e-meet you both:)

My name is Steffannee and our property known as THE CULINARIANS HOUSE is located in Niagara on The Lake in Ontario, Canada.  

I would like to express our sincerest gratitude for the support and assistance we have and continue to receive from Air BNB.  We opened our doors in August 2020 and business was booming until the lockdown.  We had to cancel full bookings from November 2020  up to and including the whole month of February, 2021.  We are excited to re-open and already bookings!!!!!  

I have two questions:

1.  Is any other host offering any discount/incentive to motivate potential guests?

2. How do we obtain Air BNB Plus status - we meet all the  criteria but I still do not quite understand how we enroll for this chapter of business.

I look forward to hearing from either of you.

Warmest regards,

The Culinarians Inc
Kathie18
Level 2
Saint Petersburg, FL

Hello Lizzie and Quincy!

Thank you for your introductions.  I am retired and working to supplement my income with my airbnb home, Color Street, and Norwex.  Airbnb has been great!  I love to travel too, but it has to be with my trusted chihuahua-mix friend Marty.  I like being warm, so no trips to cold weather - prefer south of the US (Mexico, Costa Rica, Carribean Islands, etc.).   I love horses.  For the last 2 years Marty and I spent the month of June working at a B&B Dude Ranch helping take care of the horses, leading rides, and flipping rooms.  This year I will be traveling (again) to a ranch in Mexico.  

Interesting that Lizzie is getting into all things eco/sustainability related since that's an objective of Norwex (cleaning without chemicals, recyclable materials, etc).   I use Norwex products for cleaning in my airbnb house which saves me time and money.  If intrigued about Norwex, check out kathiem.norwex.biz.

I hope everyone is doing well!  Take care and God bless!

Kathie

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Welcome to the Community @Kathie22! If you ever want to visit a place in the Caribbean I recommend visiting the ABC islands

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Hello, 

Happy to introduce ourselves;  

Rob & Adele from Varners Cove.   We are fairly new to Airbnb and are just finding out about this group for hosts.  We are happy to be hosts of airbnb and so far very little hiccups with our bookings.  Our property is on a large island; Allumette Island, Quebec,  along the Ottawa River. We are  1.5 hours from Ottawa.  We rent out a house that is fully equipped and located on a nicely landscaped, 3 acre property on the river.  Our property is very tranquil and our guests can enjoy Roberts beautiful flower gardens, Vegetables;  Fishing, Kayaking and Beach activities.    

We both enjoy meeting new guests.  

Thanks ,

Adele & Robert

Deanna here...excited to be a part of this group! Started my Airbnb in March. Lots of cancellations in the beginning but super busy with wonderful guests from all over the country now...in North Pole, Alaska! 

Craig293
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi all

just discovered this cc and think it is absolutely wonderful! Excellent advice and tips given! We are new AirbnB hosts - having bought a stunning home away from home for us to enjoy over weekends then decided to and post our first advert on AirbnB at the end of November 2018- and AirbnB the condo! It has been such an exciting whirlwind journey for us! We bought a beautiful two bedroom condo in Big Bay in the heart of the Kite surfing beach vibe and are fully booked back to back until the 14 March 2019.  We were actually going to go there over weekends! Clearly this is not going to happen. We are a stones throw from the beach, and have an breathtaking view of Table Mountain and the Atlantic Ocean from inside our apartment! Having done all the interior design and art myself- with hubby’ s talented woodworking skills- we have made it very special! Very excited to share our journey. Take care Janine & Craig 🏖 Big Bay 🏖Cape Town  🏔 South Africa 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello @Craig293,

Welcome to the Community Center! 

You've got a lovely home! I still want to visit South Africa one day as many people have recommended this! 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Craig293
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Quincy. You are always welcome in our beautiful country SA and specifically Cape Town. I am in constant or of its beauty even after having lived here for more than 20 years. Table Mountain vista is incredible! 🌸 

Hi @Craig293 @Lizzie I'm a new host in Cape Town, south Africa and I'm struggling to receive my payouts longer than what its says. My bank is requesting the following: 

Authenticated swift MT 103 from the foreign bank

Please assist 

Regards 

Ebraheem 

Linda1213
Level 6
Vero Beach, FL

I thought I would re-introduce, as I was one the last on the previous page and buried 83 pages down 🙂

Brand New host here, also.

My hubs and I Live in a small beautiful town on the Atlantic Ocean in Florida. Most of the 4 kids have moved on to other parts of the world {some keep coming back}. We have spent  the past 15 years working on an acre of tropical jungle surrounding our casa {the jungle may have won}. We have a lovely guest house/Casita...{as we tend to call the whole compound a hacienda} on our property that my Mom lived in and Loved. Sadly she passed away earlier this year.

After much thought,We decided to list it on airbnb instead of rent long term, and did some minor renovations and redecorating. Her beautiful energy seems to be in the house and garden.

A small 700 sf barn is also seated on the property that I hope to start renovating in an  eco friendly way with sustainability in mind. Also doing research, Lizzie!  That is the dream, anyway.

Our town is a  "seasonal" area from Dec-March...and so the minute I listed it {without very good pics or description} it was booked, and pretty solidly through March. This was equally scary and thrilling. yesterday we welcomed our seventh set of guests

This community has been a TERRIFFIC source of education and inspiration that I will continue tapping into, and I truly thank you for that!  Hobbies: Travel, photography.....

LBR
LBR
Narelle7
Level 2
Launceston, Australia

Hello from Narelle in Sydney, Australia.  I started providing short term accomadation in 2000 (well before Air BnB) and joned Air Bnb shortly after inception.  I travel a lot to Santa Barbara USA as my daughter lives in LA , I ahve worked at WHO (Geneva) and spent time in NYC and kayaked in Antartica, so I am a keen travellor.  Semi retired, I have my own buisness in Mental Health training as I have  a Masters in both Forensic Mental Helath and Adolescent Mental Health.  I love to provide guests with what I value when I travel (clen, quite, a desk!).  I would love to welcome all hosts to Australia.  Enjoy Hosting!  Narelle

Rosie95
Level 1
Malvern, Australia

Hi I’m Rosie from Malvern - Melbourne in Victoria 

I began Airbnb over a year ago - offering our fully self-contained apartment in a great location about 10 kms from the city of Melbourne - I call it ‘your home away from home’ 

everything is at your fingertips - tram - train and all the cafes and restaurants you could desire 

We also live in the apartment so we have created a homely cosy atmosphere with all the mod cons including Foxtel - Stan as my hubby is a movie buff!! 

Airbnb is made for me as I’m a big connector with people and love to chat and assist guests with their every need 

I have a diploma in positive psychology and wellbeing and have positive snippets around the apartment which is uplifting for guests 

also my hubby loves photography so we have our travel photos enlarged on the walls 

we welcome you ! 

This community hub is a great idea and I love reading all the stories 

Cheers Rosie 

Terrence1
Level 2
Morristown, NJ

Greetings to all:  We are Vivian and Terrence Smith.  We have been hosting our small beach hounse in Barnegat Light, New Jersey since June 2017.  The house is on Long Beach Island, one of the most popular shore destinations in New Jersey.