New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the Community Center? Introduce yourself here (Updated)

Hello everyone,

A warm welcome to the Community Center. 

This discussion is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb Community members, as well as welcoming and saying hello to newcomers in return. Thanks to all of you who have already introduced yourself and contributed in our previous thread, here.  

I'm Lizzie and I am the Community Manager here, along with my teammate @Quincy. I have been managing the Airbnb Community Center since it officially opened in November 2015. It is fantastic to speak with amazing community members here. 

To kickstart this topic, I would like to share a few things about myself:

1. I love to travel, hot or cold it doesn't matter - I'm ready with my sun lotion or a raincoat! 
  2. I play several instruments, but my main one is the flute. I always enjoy a good conversation about music. 
  3. Lastly, over the past year I have become very interested in all things eco/sustainablilty related.

How about you? Any interesting facts or hobbies?

I'm looking forward to hearing from you. 

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

456 Replies 456
Ami19
Level 2
Silver City, NM

Ok, let me try this again....I’m trying to list two separate suites on the second floor, of a large historic home.  My question is, what should my cover pic be, a picture of the house itself, or a pic of the suite (bedroom? Living room?). I like the idea of showing a pic of the house, as that’s the highlight, but I don’t want to cause any confusion (someone thinking they’re renting the whole house). Also, when I list the second suite, it will have the exact same picture as the first suite, which would be confusing, as well....I’ve seen people do a split cover photo of the outside of the house, and the inside of the room, but I don’t know how to do that. Just looking for insight, and suggestions, please. Thank you! 

Bharati-Carla0
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

@Ami19 did you solve your issue? If not, I would say def different cover pics for each listing. The additional pics can be similar to show the house and common areas. You could also use a photo editor app like Pages, Publisher, Canva, etc. to create a collage to get the side-by-side shot you're looking for then upload that photo file to your listing. Good luck and enjoy!

Bez8
Host Advisory Board Member
Vancouver, Canada

Hello everyone!

I thought I should introduce myself on here as well. 

My name is Behzad (bez or pez for short) I've been hosting our primary home in Vancouver, Canada since 2017. 

I'm an Engineer/Photographer/Educational Activist. I love people and believe that there is so much  that connects us beyond arbitrary borders. This human experience is based on love and kindness. I hold both of those close to my heart. 

George1436
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hello 

We are Margarita and George from London and we are brand new to Airbnb. We have a wonderful sea side villa in sunny Greece, the area of Halkidiki which we recently decided to host. It is so nice to know that there is a place here where you can have some help when needed.

Kristin1082
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Hi, Greetings from the Atlanta (Georgia, USA) area! My husband and I rent out our second home, a house on Jackson Lake -- about an hour from Atlanta.

We actually stopped using AirBnB for awhile (switching entirely to VRBO) because we were so incredibly frustrated with the poor customer service that AirBnB provides. We decided to give AirBnB another shot. We love the community center here though - so many wonderful hosts!

Kris

Bharati-Carla0
Level 2
New Jersey, United States

Hi everyone great to be here. I'm Bharati Carla, brand new to hosting in this capacity but a lover of hosting & hospitality for years through my wellness center. I'm trying to learn as much as I can for my pleasure and to further this venture and help it be efficient and sustainable. 

I'm a nurse, yoga instructor and mom of two adult ladies & 3 doggie rescues.

I just moved into my home March 2020 and have been slowly renovating it; long way to go but good bones as they say. 

I'm a lover of live music, cultural drum and dance & delish healthy food. 

I'm helping my mom and a couple of friends get started hosting as they've become interested, have great spaces to share and want the extra income.

I'm a mile from 2 different hospitals so we've had mostly medical students doing month's rotation so far. 

I do seem to be one of the many people with lingering effects of debility & inflammation since I had Covid April 2020. So one more reason I'm motivated for this venture to succeed- I will not likely return to the work pace I kept for many years and I also really enjoy being at home and curating wellness-minded space. 

My first question I'd love to pose here is about cleaning fees. I recently increased it after speaking with a long-time host who advised me to not undervalue that service. However, now my listing seems quite expensive for a short stay because of the increased fee. Is there a way to charge less for let's say a stay of less than a week vs the cleaning fee I would charge for a month's stay?

Hope that made sense! Thanks and be well. 

Dena133
Level 2
Ketchikan, AK

Hi, I'm Dena Minicucci.  I live in Ketchikan, Alaska.  I'm a retired teacher.  I love to quilt, listen to good books and fish.  I've only had my airbnb for 2 years and Covid pretty much ruined this last summer for that.

Zahra61
Level 2
Surrey, Canada

Hi! My Name is Zahra and I am a new host as of Feb 2021.  Looking forward to learn some tips and tricks on successful hosting and avoiding any issues with guests; like our third booking which was over $5K in damages! (sigh- early 20's parties).

Anyway, I am located in the GVA in BC  and love to Travel, spend time with my family & friends and workout.

Thanks!

Eddie275
Level 2
Wrightwood, CA

Hey Everyone,

I'm new to hosting and My girlfriend now has an AirBNB and I am managing a 4plex in Lake Havasu City Arizona, of which I have turned 2 units to AirBNB.  We are generating more revenue and enjoying providing a great experience for our stayers.  Looking forward to the Spring and Summer in Lake Havasu and all the potential.

James2250
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

A big hello to the community from sunny South Africa. Airbnb listing under BEDFORDVIEW ENTIRE ONE BED CLUSTER B&B/SELF CATER.

My partner Barbara and I are situated 20 minutes from O R TAMBU Airport, Johannesburg, South Africa. We started hosting in 2017 and it has been wonderful meeting new friends.

We're fortunate to own 4 fully furnished clusters just 20 minutes from downtown Johannesburg and Sandton. So we can rent these out with separate entrances.

We've been hosting monthly stays and longer, before Airbnb created the option and found this to be very lucrative.

We speak English, German, French and have also traveled in Europe and North America. 

We  are very happy to be part of this community and looking forward to a fruitful exchange, feel free to reply to this thread and say hello!

Sunny regards,

James

Laurelle3
Level 10
Huskisson, Australia

Hi to everyone hosting with Airbnb,  I started hosting at the end of November 2020 and pressed the botton to log on as a host at 1am local time at 6am the next morning my husband said you have 6 bookings. This is where I had to have a fast learning curve of knowing the internet bookings and managing bookings. I didn't find the button to press to block bookings between guests. 

Know I will introduce myself, our cottage "Hidden Gem on Duncan St" is located in Husskisson, one street from the beach (600 metres walking distance) in Jervis Bay. NSW Australia.

Our cottage was built for us to live in while we renovated the main residence which took 2 years before we moved in. The cottage sat vacant for 5 months and we did have in mind that we would do airbnb over Christmas, Easter and school holidays which we have been doing.

We have been using Airbnb since 2017 when we have travelled overseas in UK and New Zealand and Australia and our daughter also hosts in NZ. So, I  knew what I wanted to offer something with little things that you would like yourself and to have experienced what different hosts have offered. Which I have tried to offer my style,standard and it appears by receiving 5 stars I have achieved my goal now waiting for my superhost award.

I am a retired nurse and my husband who helps me a retired serviceman and a train driver. We have an interest in Scouting, Returned Service League, Mens Sheds and Lioness. We enjoy meeting people which we have done in our padt working lives and we enjoy meeting our guests and making them welcome to our cottage

@Laurelle3 how are things going now? 

@Bharati-Carla0 Thank you for your interest we have been busy over our Christmas summer holiday period and still having weekend bookings. We have now blocked off for 5 weeks. The Airbnb was to be a hobby but really has turned into a business. I  alsoreceived my Superhost Host title.

At present our NSW state  government laws have brought in that we have to implement fire safety standards which means a little bit of homework, drawing fire exit drawings with "you are here", fire blankets, fire extinguishers, assembly points and a list of emergency numbers.

Fortunately, I  had all but the drawings so that is our task and we are able to copy from the plans. 

Thank you for your interest across the oceans.

@Laurelle3 that sounds great! Yes, so much to learn. Same for me- hosting was to be one small part of how I utilize this home space but it's turned into the primary use. I enjoy it tremendously and appreciate the income for my input.

Congrats on your SuperHost status! All the best. 

Harish15
Level 2
Chennai, India

@Lizzie @@quincy hi, I'm Harish, a new entrant in this community Page. I'm from India and host a property in Goa. I'm an avid traveler and also enjoy long distance running and golf. I'm looking forward to having a fruitful interaction with this lovely community of Airbnb hosts!