New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

Marjo0
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

New to the forum? Introduce yourself here!

**We now have a new introduction discussion, to view click here. We look forward to hearing from you. This topic is closed to new replies. Thank you **

Hi everyone,

Welcome to the Airbnb Community Center. This thread is for introducing yourself to your fellow Airbnb forum members, as well as welcoming and saying hi to newcomers in return, in order to make everyone feel like they belong.

I'm Marjo, and I lead the Community Center staff team who will manage this online forum on a daily basis. You will see me posting here sometimes, along with our other English community staff member @Lizzie, who has just joined as well and will be introducing herself in this thread too - Lizzie will be managing the English community full-time once we launch the forum.

Here's a few additional facts about me:

1. My favourite city is San Francisco. I spent hours and hours of time there on Google street view for years, until I actually got to visit the city in person recently. Such a friendly and colourful place!
  2. I have 2 cats which probably makes me a bit of a (crazy) cat lady.
  3. I'm originally from Helsinki, Finland.

How about you, any fun facts you want to share? 🙂

I'm looking forward to getting to know all of you so feel free to reply to this thread and say hello!

-------------------------

New to the Community Center? Check Getting Started for guidelines and info.

1,250 Replies 1,250
Cecelia0
Level 2
Port Coquitlam, Canada

Hi everyone my name is Cecelia I have a vacation rental in Montego Bay Jamaica it call Relax In Sunny Montego Bay Jamaica. I've been doing here Airbnb for the 3years. I don't know if anyone can help me early this month I have a lady who have returned to rent my vacation home. Don't know how she did it but hey press my inquiry button available when I saw that she was that she paid but for some reason she able to draw that and she was only staying one night the next day I got a note that she did not pay anyone ever have that kind of situation very clever people out there trying to use your place without even paid let me know that was very tricky of them.

https://abnb.me/e/fLzu468YsQ

Hi! Our Rockin Rocky Top houseboat located on the beautiful Tennessee River is just getting our first guests aboard! We are really excited to get to meet lots of new people in our Airbnb journey. Attached above is our houseboats link so please check it out and if you have any questions please do not hesitate to call 

Welcome!

Lushana0
Level 2
Toronto, Canada

Hi everyone! Already posted a bit before I found this thread, so just formally saying Hi! 

My husband and I recently started hosting in Toronto Canada. We’ve lived in the city for 9 years and love exploring new neighbourhoods, restaurants and coffee shops!

I’m a wedding photographer and travel pretty frequently for that so we’ve stayed in tons of Airbnb’s around the world!

We also started an Instagram account to give some Toronto travel inspiration to go with our listing if anyone wants to connect! @Kingweststyle 

Jordan49
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Hi people!

I just wanted to introduce myself and say "hello". I decided to look on the forum to find an answer to a co host question and I discovered this a pretty well established forum. I'm a film maker and producer primarily, but I am also a bit of a business entrepeneur. I like to work and more importantly i like to marry art with business and elevate the experience as best I can. There is a story to every business. There is a meaning to what we all try to achieve with our work and hopefully it all goes beyond making a buck. It's my belief, anyway that everything is process, and to truly transcend in work, one must set sights on the "why" not the "what". The act of providing, selling, or delivering any product or service, in my opinion, can be a flow and a self expression, even a performance of sorts if your imagination so desires. Work becomes musical. Labor becomes expressive, and all of a sudden you are no longer simply making money or paying the bills, you are connected and engaged in the thematics of life which tie us all together in the human experience. Or.. something to that effect:)  We are not hoteliers... We are hosts.  The experience, The connection, The dialogue, It's all of that world. So here I am. I write, I cook, I decorate and I build. I  provide, and I negotiate, and I certainly wage the war of business and strive to do what I do, and provide a business service that annihilates any possibility of competition. I believe that IO am the audience. I trust my taste and I love great service. I say.. if I want it... Oh they want it too.  If I like it.. so will they...  well so far... So **bleep** good:)

So here's what I think. Hell. I want to know what youre all doing. So I can steal it, of course and make money with it, and then take credit for it.. Kidding. I thought about this and I thought there must be so many great ideas. But I've turned about a zillion of them over and around in my head. And you know what?  I don't think we can reinvent the wheel again and again. Eventually the primo ideas and methods, rise to the top and begin to dominate the discussion boards, the websites, the minds of the Airbnb community. If you do your homework... One begins to see what works and what doesn't work as well. We all have different taste. We all have different methods, But a few of us, have used our unique  community and our own imaginations and have found a way to kill it. Every second of every day. I was gonna give my suggestions for free. But... That's no fun. Instead... I'm going to let you know right now. That there's about ten or so tricks. methods of dealing with customer service that will guarantee a ruling in your favor. items to provide for guests that will have your ratings at a solid 5 stars.software to use that automates your business. Secrets, people that I am going to share with you privately. One on one. If you want. If you want to create an Airbnb. That is second to none. That provides top of the line service with satisfied ccustomers who can't get enough of what you put down before them. The kicker is... You can create it so it literally takes only you and one other person two implement it and then run it. It begins with you. Then simply dial in your cleaning process and install a line into vendors for maintenance and  services... and then you can turn to other things and your Airbnb will take some spot checks, but it will essentially run itself. Generating money automatically. I'm offering my consulting services. I back up what I have learned with one credo. If you can maintain that the customer is always right. Then what I have to show you will transform your business. Period. 

Reply that you are interested, and I will work with you on a sliding scale for 10 days. After which time. You will have an Airbnb that is air tight and functional and provides the security you have always wanted. It ain't half boring either:) 

Clara116
Level 10
Pensacola, FL

@Jordan49 Hey I looked at both your listings and sorry but on the one place "cozy"  you got a low mark on cleaniness and value -they say the stove -  recently so I have my doubts about your product Jordan.

and on the 2nd listing - what's with the weird phone photos - that is totally strange and doesn't show a very good way to sell a listing I think.  

I am sure you have good ideas but not sure how sellable they are indeed.?? just saying. Happy hosting - I too wish for us all to be the best and excell at hosting.  

Jane773
Level 2
Savannah, GA

Hello,

I'm Jane and new to hosting on Airbnb. Still getting setup before publishing my duplex apartments in Savannah GA. Absolutely love Savannah and my duplex!

I am looking forward to being a member of this group.

I am currently looking for instructions on how to setup RBoy Remote Lock Automater in Airbnb if anyone has some insight.

Have a great day,

Jane

Maryanne30
Level 2
New South Wales, Australia

Hi Everybody

I'm Maryanne from Australia. I'm in Brooklyn on holidays, seeing Stand up Comedy and thoroughly enjoying walking around and trying to be understood with my strong Australian accent.  I have a farm in Australia at Murrumbateman and I'm missing my 4 dogs and 4 horses but they are getting well looked after. 

In my everyday life, I'm a counsellor and I think good at it. I'm not so good at being organised for travelling :))

Lucy322
Level 2
Prince Edward Island, Canada

Hi, I’m Lucy.  My husband, Gary, and I just purchased a property in eastern Prince Edward Island, Canada, in early July this year.  There are five buildings, so we concentrated on getting the cottage up and running.  No one had lived there for a while.  We opened in mid-August after six crazy weeks of work, and inspections and licensing.  We had excellent response for the rest of August, but only had one couple come in September.  We are currently planning on opening at least one more next spring and are making it wheelchair accessible.  Thank you for the opportunity to join the conversation.

Ruthie12
Level 4
Oldenburg, IN

Hi, I'm Ruthie, fairly new to hosting in a small town which is not a typical destination area.  Our guests are almost always here for a family gathering such as a wedding or reunion. We've had fairly good experiences so far.  I've really appreciated this forum, as it's had good information on many topics.

Eve123
Level 2
Lovettsville, VA

Hi, I'm Eve and I'm a potential new host. Right now, we are in the processing of putting a contract on a property where we would start our short-term rental business. My husband and I have been married for 8.5 years and have a big white fluffy dog, "Coco." We both work full-time and would continue doing so. 

Since I'm new to everything, I would love tips from more experienced hosts. We would be living next door to the rental house. We are really looking forward to meeting new people from different walks of life through this adventure.

Laura2210
Level 2
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hello - my name is Laura and my husband and I are hosting in the suburb of Melville, in Johannesburg, South Africa.   My husband is from Germany and I was born here in Johannesburg.   We have a daughter, living in Seattle and running her own Bakery right in downtown, making the most beautiful wedding cakes and special occasion cakes for the locals.   This is our first time hosting, and so far, since August, 2018 we have had the pleasure of hosting someone from Lebanon, a couple from Toronto and currently a young gentleman from Berlin (my husband's hometown).  

We are a very open-minded senior couple, fortunate enough to have excellent health (apart from the odd tweak and bump) and are seasoned travellers, having visited Zimbabwe, Mozambique, Tanzania, Brazil, Seattle, Holland, Berlin, France, the UK, Greece, Turkey, Spain, Peru, Cusco and my husband came to South Africa from Berlin overland in a Kombi making stops in many other interesting countries, including India and finally taking a boat from Mombasa to Cape Town after selling his Kombi.  So we have some fun and interesting stories to share.    

I am an avid reader, mostly fiction and I never travel without my Kindle or my weekly fix of crossword puzzles from a regular local magazine.   

In addition to hosting, we have for the past 23 years been running a small construction company renovating kitchens, bathrooms and adding to or enhancing someone's property with another room or garage or carport.   My husband is a trained Engineer and loves working with his hands - he is also an absolute perfectionist - I sometimes tell him he has the 'Midas' touch.    I am totally involved (as I started the business before my husband joined me 13 years ago) in the entire project from the quotation/contract stage through to the actual handover.   This includes, sourcing and purchasing the right materials, selecting the teams to do the work, ensuring that all material is on site at all times during production.   I love getting involved in the finer touches such as helping owners to choose their tiles, or wall colours, or kitchen cupboards, etc.   

We enjoy occasionally eating out, our favourite foods being Meditteranean, French or Italian.   Alternatively, a good home cooked meal and a nice glass of wine go a long way to keeping us going too, as eating out can be quite an expense these days.

We live in a suburb filled with interesting and diverse people, from the young 'yuppie' to the 'old fox' with many interesting restaurants and things to do, and we are close to the city centre, Universities, Television centres, railway station (which is virtually non-existent these days) and Hospitals.

We got involved in hosting our Cottage by default, as a friend, who was badly beaten by her brother, approached us asking for a safe haven, which at the time, was only partially livable as, after our daughter left for Seattle never to return, we were not fully motivated to make the changes and alterations we wanted to, until then.   So we embarked on a clean up, paint, polish, renovate, re-plumb, re-tile project and today we can proudly say our 1-bedroomed cottage is spacious, clean and bright - (see 'Separate Cottage on Private Property' on Air bnb in Melville, Johannesburg).

Good luck!   

Hi everyone. My name is Melissa and I have been a host for over a year. My husband and I really enjoy doing it and I love designing things (I have now been asked to do other Airbnb’s in my area)! Nice to meet you all!

Zsofia3
Level 2
Budapest, Hungary

Hi everyone,

I am Zsofia from Budapest. I have started hosting in our studio 1.5 monhts ago and I am loving it! We are located right in the city centre of Budapest and it is great to have people from all over the world! I used to live in New York and in Nantes (France) so I decided to bring international life to my doorstep. I love hosting and giving tips on Budapest (also on Budapest Local Experiences on fb) and I would like to do even a bit more,  just do not know exactly what kind of extra services could be interesting for the travellers. Working on it! I like the human aspect of Airbnb, and that you can be there for others when they have a problem or if they need advice and this can make them feel safe in a foreign country. I think this is great!

Have a nice day,

Zsofia

Hoang22
Level 2
Ho Chi Minh City, Vietnam

Hi everyone,

My name is Hoang. I have been working as a chef for a little over 2 years. Currently, I am hosting my 3-month experience on Airbnb https://www.airbnb.com.au/experiences/337314

Hope to get to know as many travellers around the world as possible!