Say hello to the Host Advisory Board members

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Say hello to the Host Advisory Board members

Hello everyone,

When we announced the Host Advisory in December, we said we'd look to this group of hosts to represent you and help highlight the things that really matter to hosts within Airbnb.

To make sure they understand the needs and perspectives of our global community, the Advisory Board members are active in different ways: from contributing here in the Community Center to leading local hosting groups, to participating in product and policy feedback sessions.  

All of the Advisory Board members are active hosts and represent hosting from countries all around the world. They all have different stories and reasons for why they host. They are excited to get to know you, and we hope you will get to know them. 

Introducing...... 

@Anna1403 , @Bez8,  @Antonella78@Susan208@Till-and-Jutta0,  @Nutth0@Norma17@Peter1@Merrydith0, @Pascale144@Omar202@Pooja30@Tiffany204@Vinícius0@Shinya0@Ningyi0@Samuel604 

Many of you have already been speaking with Till, Nutth, Bez and Peter, here in the EN CC. 

I ask you to support the Advisory Board members by continuing to surface the great knowledge and insights we see here everyday. Make them feel welcome here and get to know them, they want to hear your ideas and make a difference for all of our community. They need your support to do this. You can also use the tag #HostAdvisoryBoard to highlight topics to them.

What’s next?

Each month a different Advisory Board member will be representing the group and providing an update in the Resource Center and we’ll be carrying on the conversation here on the CC. In the meantime, @Susan208 is our first spotlight of the year, please take a look here.  You can also meet Susan at our Community Center meetup on Tuesday February, 23rd 1PM (PST)–to join view this post here

@Omar202 will be providing a February update, so do look out for that in a couple of weeks. 🙂

Thank you,

Lizzie (and all of the EN CC team) 

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

103 Replies 103
Till-and-Jutta0
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Stuttgart, Germany

Dear @Aleyda8 , thank you for bringing this to our attention!

The “security deposit” is a frequently discussed topic in the community, and the Host Advisory Board will keep an eye on that, I’m sure.

To learn more about the board, who it is and how it works, please have a look at Airbnb’s Info Center https://www.airbnb.com/resources/hosting-homes/a/say-hello-to-the-members-of-airbnbs-host-advisory-b...

Happy Hosting!

Sergi
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Aleyda8 , I'm Sergi from the Spanish speaker Community Center. Maybe you are interested to have a look in this two posts in this Community that explain what the Host Advisory board is about: 

Presentamos oficialmente a los miembros del Consejo asesor de anfitriones en Airbnb

Conoce a los miembros del Consejo asesor de anfitriones

I hope that helps you to understand better what the advisory board is about and I would like to invite you to have a look and participate in the Spanish Speaker Community Center, as well. 

Regards

-----

Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Thanks @Sergi , it is great to learn that we have a diverse community.  Yep,  I’ll look at those post/links and joins the proper group 

🙂

Aleyda DelaFuente
Sergi
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

I'm looking forward to see you in the Spanish Speaker Community Center @Aleyda8 

-----

Por favor consulta las Normas de la comunidad

Christine2773
Level 3
La Grange, TX

Hi I have 2 little cottages in LaGrange, TX. My question is, why would my advisory board be based out of Europe and not the US?

Your countries are different than mine. We do not have the same COVID rules that you have, especially where I am.

I am all about the cleaning! way before COVID even hit the airways. However, we are in the country, and masks are going away. Your rules on mask wearing, are not relevant to our area, not to mention that You are a marketing and reservation company that we use, we do not work for you, actually you make money from us being great hosts!

I have a message on my site that talks about mask wearing, please check it out Acorn Cottages LaGrange, TX before you make a decision to eliminate me and wreck my business, because I don't agree with you.

The funny thing is, I have friends who are airbnb host in CA and they were never threatened with this mask requirement!

If you could read my post and re think our geographical location, that would be great. I would love a personalized not generalized response.

Thank you,

Christine Leviton

Stephanie
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hiya,

The HAB is global, not just EU. You can see all 17 members here: https://www.airbnb.co.uk/d/hostadvisoryboardintl 

@Susan208 is one of the Stateside advisors that we have here on the CC but the whole board takes on feedback from the CC and other host communities. 

Thanks

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines 

Susan208
Host Advisory Board Alumni
Denver, CO

Thanks Stephanie!!

MariaTeresa51
Level 2
Quito, Ecuador

Hello. I am an active HOST and really can not understand: if I have rules and prices CLEARLY STATED in my listing, how can Airbnb allow negative explicit reviews about rules or prices?? This is a BIG error Airbnb is not attending to and can EASILY fix given all is written before guest reserves. Makes hosts VERY insecure

Agree with you @MariaTeresa51  about comments from guests about pricing. Similar to comments about location.

Sariya0
Level 5
Mumbai, India

Thank You @Lizzie 

welcoming #HostAdvisoryBoard 🙂

excited for possibilities and impact of  @Anna1403 , @Bez8,  @Antonella78@Susan208@Till-and-Jutta0,  @Nutth0@Norma17@Peter1@Merrydith0@Pascale144@Omar202@Pooja30@Tiffany204@Vinícius0@Shinya0@Ningyi0@Samuel604 

best,

Roderick8
Level 9
Budapest, Hungary

AirBnB needs to compensate hosts for the forced refunds last year. The pandemic clearly qualifies as force majeure and AirBnB abused its monopoly power. Many of us, top AirBnB revenues generators, have found alternative and lucrative income sources where we don't give up 15% of gross income to AirBnB as their total compensation (any money paid by the client in AirBnB fees is money lost to the provider). I am converting my apartments into home dining which will generate more income than short term rentals.

@Roderick8 You say the pandemic clearly qualifies as force majeure. Why should Airbnb then compensate hosts for such an event? Surely it is just as much a force majeure to them as it is to you?

It is not a force majeure when you know it is going on and you still make a booking. Force majeure would be a surprise, not an ongoing issue which you ignore and still make a reservation.

There should be an option to choose to book with or without this possibility in regards to covid. Hosts cannot bear the burden on somebody's irresponsible decisions.

I am afraid you are confused. Under force majeure I would keep the host's money. Since AirBnB  forced 100% refunds, they screwed the hosts. AirBnB should compensate for forcing refunds. This is not rocket science.

Zoya-and-Julija0
Level 3
Baltimore, MD

What you need to do to help- hosts, to start with are:
1. No penalizing hosts for refusing problematic. nonresponsive guests with no reviews.

2. Guests who break house rules must not be allowed to leave ratings in reviews and affect the host's rating

3. Guests who cancel bookings and never stay in the property must not be allowed to leave ratings nor reviews and affect the host's rating
4. Give more time to document and report damage... when you have back to back bookings there is no way you can prepare and present a well documented complaint/report. You can initially say there is a problem, but then need time for details. Often you find damage or theft days after the guest has left, or the next guest discovers it for you.

5. Make it clear to guests and require them to check off that they agree before they complete a booking that:
-they must follow the rules and what the rules are
-they must not book for another person and what the repercussions are
-they have to present ID to the host... cause if host has to call the police, airbnb does not get involved and host need=s to know whom they are hosting.

That is it for now