As a new Airbnb traveler, what are hosts looking for?

Answered!
Bethany13
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

As a new Airbnb traveler, what are hosts looking for?

I'm getting ready for my first big trip this summer to Europe and will be staying in multiple cities throughout the course of the trip. I joined Airbnb in back in December to start looking at places (more like drooling over places!) but now that the trip is closer, I'm getting serious about booking. Obviously I don't have any reviews since I haven't had a chance to stay anywhere yet. I have multiple profile pictures added, all showing my face. I'm verified through Airbnb. I also included information in the About Me section of my profile including a brief description of my upcoming trip.

What I'm wondering is, what are hosts looking for from a new member? Do you prefer to be messaged before a booking request is sent? What if I include a greeting message with my request? I'm inclined to use the method of including a message with a request, since to me submitting the request demonstrates that I'm serious about the booking; plus if I find a great place, I don't want to miss out on it by trying to message the host. But as I said, I'm brand new to actually booking places, so any advice would be greatly appreciated!

1 Best Answer
Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Bethany13 , o wow,  you are every host's dream! You will do great 🙂 Your profile section is lovely, most new guests say nothing there, and there are a lot of new guests who have no reviews yet, so you are perfectly fine!
In case you don't know it yet, there are two kinds of booking systems going right now through Airbnb: 1. the "instant booking" , characterized by a lightening rod on the listing: that one instantly grants you the dates you are requesting. still, it would be nice if you'd  introduce yourself briefly to the host with a purpose of the trip statement. As much as you think you need to introduce yourself to the host, really, the host should make YOU comfortable by messaging YOU with details.
2.) the "old" booking request where you send a request and the host has 24 hours to accept or decline your request. not to worry, everybody will accept you (unless they messed up their calendar and the dates you want are not available). No need either to go overboard herevwith messages before the booking. Usually, guests send a brief statement, 4 to 5 sentnces, no more.
For all bookings : any host is interested in you showing up on time, giving them a fairly accurate ETA when you're able to. You're locked in for those dates, making changes creates headaches. perhaps to remain somewhat flexible, you might not want to plan too far into the future, just book for the upcoming week or so. there will always be great places available.
You know that when you book, Airbnb collects the full amount from you which in addition to the listed price you see will include a service fee, cleaning fees a host might hve stipulated, and sometimes taxes, so the final amount is considerably higher. Still, Airbnb lodgings provide excellent value, just carefully study each listing - then trust your gut!
and finally: which countries will. you visit? (My home country is Germany..) have a great, safe trip!

View Best Answer in original post

10 Replies 10
Bethany13
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

Also, how much and what kind of information do you like to get in the initial contact message?

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

How lovely of you to consider the host in your new traveler adventure, @Bethany13!  Too bad you are not coming to my area near Palm Springs 🙂  How you approach a host depends on whether you are seeking a room in a host's home, so you will be staying with the host, or if you are staying in the someone's listing without the host there.  Both hosts want to be comfortable with your booking request, but in the share space situation, the host wants you to be comfortable with  the host being there and visa versa.  In the entire house or apartment listing, the host wants to believe you will not damage the space and you are a respectful guest.  In both cases, the hosts want you to help them TRUST you.  Are you trustworthy?  Let the host know that.   Good luck and I hope you let us all know how your wonderful trip works out!

@Linda108 thank you for your response! I'm mostly looking at listings that are for the entire house/apartment. I agree that trust is vital in that situation. So how do you recommend that I show I'm trustworthy? I genuinely believe that I am a trustworthy person, and I would never, ever, dream of harming someone else's home, but how can I convey that without reviews to back me up? I've always been an "actions-speak-louder-than-words" type of person, so trying to put that into words is a slightly daunting task for me.

PS - I'll definitely try to remember to look you up if I'm ever traveling to the Palm Springs area!

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

You sound like the perfect guest. Tip 1 Don't ask for a discount. Tip 2. See tip 1

@David-and-Fiona0  funny and true!

Annette33
Level 10
Prescott, AZ

@Bethany13 , o wow,  you are every host's dream! You will do great 🙂 Your profile section is lovely, most new guests say nothing there, and there are a lot of new guests who have no reviews yet, so you are perfectly fine!
In case you don't know it yet, there are two kinds of booking systems going right now through Airbnb: 1. the "instant booking" , characterized by a lightening rod on the listing: that one instantly grants you the dates you are requesting. still, it would be nice if you'd  introduce yourself briefly to the host with a purpose of the trip statement. As much as you think you need to introduce yourself to the host, really, the host should make YOU comfortable by messaging YOU with details.
2.) the "old" booking request where you send a request and the host has 24 hours to accept or decline your request. not to worry, everybody will accept you (unless they messed up their calendar and the dates you want are not available). No need either to go overboard herevwith messages before the booking. Usually, guests send a brief statement, 4 to 5 sentnces, no more.
For all bookings : any host is interested in you showing up on time, giving them a fairly accurate ETA when you're able to. You're locked in for those dates, making changes creates headaches. perhaps to remain somewhat flexible, you might not want to plan too far into the future, just book for the upcoming week or so. there will always be great places available.
You know that when you book, Airbnb collects the full amount from you which in addition to the listed price you see will include a service fee, cleaning fees a host might hve stipulated, and sometimes taxes, so the final amount is considerably higher. Still, Airbnb lodgings provide excellent value, just carefully study each listing - then trust your gut!
and finally: which countries will. you visit? (My home country is Germany..) have a great, safe trip!

@Bethany13 if i remember you can have a facebook user recommend you on your profille.

i will have a look later and post the link,as far as the others say you sound like a cool guest 

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Bethany13

You sound like the perfect guest 🙂

Do you plan to visit Zagreb as well? 

Bethany13
Level 2
Saint Paul, MN

Thank you everyone for the comments! I was feeling really uncertain because my first couple booking requests had been declined. And even though the hosts told me it was due to a different request being confirmed, it made me nervous that this might just be an excuse since it kept happening and the calendars were always open when I submitted my request. But now I have my first few stops booked so I'm feeling better and getting very excited for my trip to get here!!

@Annette33 your advice is very helpful! We don't have all of our travel info set in stone yet, but I've been informing my hosts about that when I message them and saying that I'll get them the specifics once I have them. We will be stopping in Germany! My cousin did a semester abroad there (so she has a couple connections for us to use!) but I've never been. We will be stopping in Iceland on our way over, then France, Italy, Spain, Greece, Romania, Hungary and Germany. There's still about a million places we want to go, but we decided a on a quality-over-quantity approach in order to actually have time in all the places.

@Branka-and-Silvia0 Thank you very much! I do plan on visiting Zagreb someday, but unfortunately not on this trip. When we decided to spend more time at each of our destinations, some of them had to be cut from the itinerary.

Sharon64
Level 10
Tampa, FL

Tell the host a little about you, what you like about their listing, and the natue of your trip. I, as a host, look at reviews of friends of a new Airbnb guest. I've taken many new Airbnb users and on the most part have only had issues with two. Both of those trouble guests deleted their profile upon leaving. So when you are requesting to book, show you are a responsible person. We  just want our guests to have a pleasant stay but also take care of our homes as if their own. Please see my listing and your will get an idea. Good luck and good travels.