Cancellation

Alison128
Level 2
Nairobi, Kenya

Cancellation

A guest confirmed a booking a week ago , thus my calender was blocked for their weeks visit

My guest has due to arrive tonight at 7pm and due to some flight complications is unable to arrive today but will instead arrive NEXT WEEK saturday

This in my opinion is a cancellation because i have lost the booking this week and noone else has been able to book as my calender has been blocked

is this a cancellation?

my cancellation policy is that I recieve full payment if cancellation is less than 5 days ...im not sure how to activate this .. I'm also not sure this policy is for me or my guest that is the use of word "refund " applies to me or to my guest?

Please advise

Best wishes

Alison

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alison128  The guest is able to cancel with no payment to you as you have noted because you chose the moderate cancellation policy.  Your dates should open up to allow other guests to book.  If you need a strict cancellation policy, you should change it now.  

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Alison128  Your guest may be able to use the extenuating circumstances exception to the cancellation policy because of the flight cancellation.  Otherwise you should be compensated according to your policy.  Are you stating that you know there is no payment to you?  Have you already been booked for the following week?  Is your calendar open to the cancelled days so you could book another guest?  

Paul464
Level 1
Virginia, United States

Hi 

i thought i had blocked dates but someone has done an instant book, i followed the directions but it will not let me cancel.

I can not find anyone to contact.

the guest is very upset now and is going to report it to Airbnb.

Please advise

Paul

@Paul464  I see you have removed Instant Booking which is a good step to take when you are new to this platform.  If you cannot possibly host the guest contact Air BNB ASAP and see how the guest can be accommodated.  US phone number is 855 424 7262.  For future reference save this link to a community guide for all the different ways to contact Air BNB.

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/Community-Help/Contact-Airbnb-A-Community-Help-Guide/m-p/16165#M728

Barb19
Level 1
Indooroopilly, Australia

1. Yesterday, we had a guest cancel her booking. We asked her to cancel which she messaged back saying that she had. It was still showing in our calendar as being active. The only way we could cancel it is by cancelling it from our end which in the end we did.

After doing this, the dates that the previous person wanted were still blocked. We now have someone who previously made an enquiry wanting to know whether she can now stay over the same period but a 2nd booking cannot be made because Air bnb won't allow us to unblock the dates booked by the previous potential guest who wanted to cancel.

How do I get the date unblocked so that we can take the new booking?

@Barb19  If you are able to, please see my post from 3 weeks ago which includes a link for contacting Air BNB.  Most transactions on this platform are automated and you need human intervention to override the system.  Call Air BNB.  Good luck