Community Experts

Trevor3
Level 2
Alicante, Spain

Community Experts

hello

I had to contact Airbnb about something and the person who replied to my query introduced themselves as a 'Community Expert'. What does being  a Community Expert entail? Do they get paid?

thanks

Trevor

26 Replies 26
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

If you want to apply to be a community expert you can apply to be one through their website.

I don't imagine they get paid, any more that us regulars on here get paid for providing advice.

Thanks Helen, where do you apply? I'm sure you're right that they don't get paid but I assume there must be some kind of benefit!

If you're interested, apparently they do get paid - about $4 - $8 for each question successfully answered.

Thank you very much for your update Trevor. I have often used the Contact Us page since becoming a host 1.5yrs ago and it has always been great - until the last 2 times when my issue was routed to a Community Expert. I know how to use the Community and research things that I might be able to resolve on the own. When I use the Contact Us page, I do so because there is a glitch which I need company assistance with. Community Experts are not helpful in these instances, as they cannot access my account or resolve anything - they just tell me what I may have done wrong that could be adding to my problem. Neither time had I done anything wrong, so the interactions were totally a waste of my time. Added to that, each time the Community Expert sent me a note encouraging me to give them a good review. After I have done the research and know that the issue is on airbnb's end, and I reach out for help, why would I leave a positive review for a middle man who does nothing but tell me to try to fix it on my own by doing things I've already determined not to be of use? The first time this happened, the Community Expert asked my permission to forward my issue to the company so someone who could actually access my account could help me. I gave permission but also noted that I couldn't believe he was actually asking if it was alright for him to do the very thing I was trying to do in the first place. Talk about a waste of time! So, I left a red face as a review because I was so frustrated and the Community Expert (who identified himself as a volunteer), came back to "explain" that my review was supposed to be for him and our interaction, not airbnb, and not the issue I was experiencing - and he further asked me to change it! I told him that I did realize what the review was for and as he did not help me but merely told me to try things that I'd already done and told him I'd done (and some other things that couldn't be affective as they weren't related at all), I would leave my review as the red face. At that he came back at me very aggressively to say that if I had followed his well-meaning advice (which I clearly stated that I HAD done, even before he contacted me), everything would have been fine. Well, no actually, it wouldn't. I waited a few days for someone from airbnb to contact me and when no one did I emailed a Customer Service rep who I'd spoken to about something unrelated, who had said "if there is anything else I can do to help, please let me know". When I reached out to her, I discovered that the so-called expert DID NOT forward my issue at all!

The second Community Expert promptly forwarded my issue to the company so I did leave him a positive review stating "thank you for forwarding my issue to the company" but had |I known he was getting paid, I would not have. He didn't help me in the least - except to do what used to happen automatically. What I would really like to know is why did these middle men suddenly start getting involved? When I KNOW I need the company's assistance, what is the best way to reach them? They say phone calls should be left for urgent matters (neither matter was urgent), and I don't use twitter. The Contact Us page was great for me until now. How can I avoid having a Community Expert become involved and contact the company directly for important but non urgent issues?

Thanks in advance if anyone has an answer!

The Community Expert has been around for some time, over a year.

The only call us if it is urgent, well as there is no other way as you found out, is best ignored, urgent is anyway subjective.

David

@Virginia9

Great response. Really very illuminating.

@David126 so are you one of the 'community experts' ?

Best Wishes.

@Rachael26 Thank you! I actually did mention that I don't use twitter. I also saw that it was highly recommended. Upon further investigation I found a few tips advising that facebook messages are usually responded to quickly as well - might try that next time!

@Virginia9 , I don't do twitter either, but I  was just curious about @airbnbhelp there, so I signed up for  twitter, very easy to do, and I did test a question for them there, but I also had issues with their answer, either it was one of those experta, or his English and mine just aren't the same language...

@Annette33 I've had a twitter account previously but it wasn't for me. It wasn't the level of difficulty, just that it is not something I choose to use. I have no problem with Community Experts as a whole, or even individually, but when I use the Contact Us page to get assistance with something from airbnb, I expect to be able to (gasp) reach an airbnb employee who can actually assist me. If the situation was that I was an unskilled user or that I had just made a human error and the Expert was able to identify it and tell me how to correct it (which I assume is their real purpose), that would be cool too.  I think the issue is in airbnb's "matching" of the reason I selected as being my concern, with a supposedly more skilled user whom the site selected to guide me in my correction. the problem was that it - both times - the issue was not that I was an unskilled user or that I had made a mistake. Language barriers would make the situation even worse! I think next time I will just use fb and if that fails, call airbnb directly.

@David126 not sure what you are trying to say - do you have some typos in your response perhaps?

@Virginia9 , you're my kinda girl! 🙂 

If you didn't know it before, I sense that you sure know it now that there are a lot of self proclaimed Airbnb experts around, especially the ones who don't fully grasp the question but know it all anyways. They are just looking at the bigger picture I assume..

No fair,  I also wanna get paid now for my pearls of wisdom! and then I promise I will pressure all new innocent Airbnb clients to give me glowing reviews. That should  be worth 4 bucks a pop  or so, right?

@Annette33 LOL! Thanks for your comment!

@Annette33@Virginia9,

I see a trip to Jamaica.  SOON!  I'll let Vee, Jennifer, @Rachael26, and Betty know.

Rachael's gonna need that champagne.  You know how she gets without it.

😉

I have had a similar problem. The transaction was charged to the wrong credit card on my account. I tried reaching out adn was routed to an "expert named Murat". He had the audacity that Airbnb doesn't have the technology to refund transactions! I said he was wrong and then responded with it being outside of his scope of practice so he would get help. Despite saying that, he failed to do so... A solid poor performance.