Guests who ask for freebies

Answered!
Eileen4
Level 10
Champlain, Canada

Guests who ask for freebies

I'm just interested in hearing other hosts' experiences with this issue. I had in guests lately who asked for some extra things--small appliances (two) that would make meal preparation easier. I said I would lend them mine. I made sure they were extra clean and brought them to the unit.

Then, once they were in, they asked for another extra (to do with laundry) and I felt a bit put out since I'd already given them what I considered to be two freebies and had gotten no thanks. I said no to the third request, even though it would have been easy for me to fulfill. I felt I needed to draw a line.

It's been my experience that "no good deed goes unpunished' in this regard; that often the guests who ask for a lot of things leave the toughest reviews. I also think that saying "no" to a guest, even when it's justified, can be a bit risky in this regard as well. For example, I'm thinking of perhaps saying in their review that they asked for a lot of things. I'm going to state it neutrally, not critically, but I do feel I should say something since I do anticipate getting a less than stellar review, based on past experience.

I don't like getting ahead of myself--I don't like feeling as though I'm being unduly unfair--but it does seem to me that guests like this are harder on me than other guests. Any thoughts? Is there a bona fide sociological/psychological pattern here? Or am I imagining it? 

1 Best Answer

I do think that there is some sort of cosmic rule that says the more you do for a guest the less they will appreciate it. There was post here a few months ago about a woman who was asked to take care of parking tickets--an outrageous request--but she was cognizant of the fact that she had probably been too helpful to begin with.

I find that yes, guests who make a lot of requests, for whatever reason, show that they are more picky (although some would say "discriminating") and will likely leave a more critical review. I've done what you've done and mentioned small things in anticipation that the review might not be 100% wonderful. My gut feelings have almost always been correct, so I would urge you to go with yours. You wouldn't have written this if some level of concern weren't there in your consciousness.

As for one of your commenters, it's unfortunate, but I do think there are some hosts who come here expressly to make other hosts feel inadequate or, as in this case, feel like they are "asking too much." Getting paid to clean a big home is reasonable and not having a cleaning fee, and expecting guests--especially those who are superbusy with young kids--to leave the place spic and span isn't realistic. Besides, from what I've read from other hosts, there isn't much difference whether you charge or not, so you may as well charge.

View Best Answer in original post

13 Replies 13
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

Perhaps consider adding those small appliances to the inventory of your rental.  

Some rent apartments because they need or prefer to cook for various reasons.  Some cook to save a penny or two, some make their own baby food, allergies and intolerances etc.  

I prefer not to because they are time-consuming to clean and no other guests have ever requested them. They are also mostly unnecessary--it' still very easy to cook meals in my rental, especially since I provide a lot of ingredients.

I have my cleaning time down to 2 1/2 hours - 4 hours depending (for a 2 bedroom condo) and these two appliances (which are specialty appliances) could easily add a 1/2 hour to 45 minutes. 

I ask my guests to clean the appliances and believe it or not, it works 🙂  But I do not charge a cleaning fee.

Good for you @Marit-Anne0. I haven't had quite the same amazing luck. 

@Eileen4 Can fully understand your point...I've had a few guests who sort of pretended cleaning glasses and pots and they did such a poor job that I had to do it all again and it does take a lot of time if you do not have a dishwasher or do not want to start a machine for a few utensils. But most of all I find it very disrespectful to leave dishes like that... I would feel embarassed.

I do think that there is some sort of cosmic rule that says the more you do for a guest the less they will appreciate it. There was post here a few months ago about a woman who was asked to take care of parking tickets--an outrageous request--but she was cognizant of the fact that she had probably been too helpful to begin with.

I find that yes, guests who make a lot of requests, for whatever reason, show that they are more picky (although some would say "discriminating") and will likely leave a more critical review. I've done what you've done and mentioned small things in anticipation that the review might not be 100% wonderful. My gut feelings have almost always been correct, so I would urge you to go with yours. You wouldn't have written this if some level of concern weren't there in your consciousness.

As for one of your commenters, it's unfortunate, but I do think there are some hosts who come here expressly to make other hosts feel inadequate or, as in this case, feel like they are "asking too much." Getting paid to clean a big home is reasonable and not having a cleaning fee, and expecting guests--especially those who are superbusy with young kids--to leave the place spic and span isn't realistic. Besides, from what I've read from other hosts, there isn't much difference whether you charge or not, so you may as well charge.

Thank you for confirming, Louise. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hello everyone,

I hope you are having a good day. Thanks for starting this interesting discussion here @Eileen4. It is a great way to see how other hosts have experienced these situations and as we have already seen here different approaches work for different hosts. 

I just want to add in terms of discussions here in the CC, there are likely to be differences in opinions, but lets keep it respectful and lets keep an open mind. There might be a particular reason why one host does something in a particular way, for example having a cleaning fee or not. Perhaps the cleaning fee is built in to the original price. 🙂

It would be great to get more thoughts from other hosts on this topic to see if there are more suggestions on how they have dealt with this in the past. 

Enjoy the rest of your day.

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

Camilla28
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Eileen,

Yes I do think that guests who are the most demanding, do leave the worst reviews.  I had a guy who rented my ski place for 2 nights, and then attempted to get another night without going through the website - and then berated me when I reported him, trashed my place and gave me my one and only bad review.  Airbnb were not even sympathetic!  

I suppose the lesson is to try not to accept a very demanding guest - although you don't always know whether or not they are demanding until you have accepted.

Difficult - there is always one!!

Good Luck!

Camilla28
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Eileen,

Yes I do think that guests who are the most demanding, do leave the worst reviews.  I had a guy who rented my ski place for 2 nights, and then attempted to get another night without going through the website - and then berated me when I reported him, trashed my place and gave me my one and only bad review.  Airbnb were not even sympathetic!  

I suppose the lesson is to try not to accept a very demanding guest - although you don't always know whether or not they are demanding until you have accepted.

Difficult - there is always one!!

Good Luck!

This is about boundaries. Where I share a house with 2-4 others, it's essential.

A bit of tolerance and a goodie or two should go a long way.

More and more I trust my own instincts. I remind myself that this is my home, and that these are guests. That I hate passive aggressive reviews. So I go on a face to face fact finding mission. It gets easier each time you do it. Open hands, assertive tone, pleasant but firm.

"How do you like it here?"  

"What can I be doing better?"

"I know it's only a $20/nt room, but we aim for a 5 star experience. However, in achieving your satisfaction, I seem to be running into some obstacles. Why is that?" Keep an open mind - they might surprise you.

"Tell you what. If you are not convinced that my offer is a 5 star experience, let's agree to shake hands. You will get refunded for the balance of the nights, and you find someplace else."

Then I send a CYA email detailing how lovely they have been, what over and aboves I have done for them, and reiterating this offer to shake hands and part if necessary.

In some cases they DO leave. I can't please everyone, and they should not be held to stay in a place they are not happy with.

In another, a woman who repeatedly broke the rules became very defensive. Hey, it's not 100%.

However in most cases, people cannot know what they should have already read and didn't, and they act accordingly.

Or I may have overlooked something that is relatively minor, and easily corrected. 

In general people see that it's a 2 way street. It helps to clear the air.  And it has helped towards a more authentic and positive review.

Hope this helpsQ

I wanted to jump in and say I too have noticed that guests who ask for a lot of things usually leave the toughest reviews.

The warning signs are when they ask for a discount, ask to check out late, ask to check in early, when they insist on calling at 2am, or when they ask if friends can spend the night.

I think there's some truth to being able to identify these traits before the review arrives but perhaps initiating a conversation of how you can earn their 5 star review when they first arrive and again before they check out.

Im curious how many of these guests understand the negative effects of their low reviews on hosts.

Ray107
Level 2
Traverse City, MI

Depends, if it adds to your rental, do it. If it's to get free stuff and doesn't then decline.