Missing Guests

Stephanie86
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Missing Guests

Hi guys

Our guests haven't come back to their room for 24 hours now. We didn't hear or see them come home last night or leave this morning, and neither did our dog who hears everytime the front door opens.

I have messaged them on the phone number they gave us and have contacted them with throughout their stay, to no reply. They are due to check out tomorrow morning. 

We're not sure if we should be worried and contact authorities or wait it out until tomorrow morning. 

We know they do have friends in the same city. We haven't been in their room for obvious privacy reasons so assume their belongings are still in their room.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

8 Replies 8
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Stephanie86  How kind of you to be worried about the well-being of your guests.  I can relate to that.  There may be many reasons your messages have not been responded to, such as cell phone dead battery.  Since they have local friends, if something bad happened in all likelihood the friends would be aware.  I think you wait and if they are not back by check out time, pack up their belongings and notify Air BNB about the situation.  Keep us posted about what happens.

Hi Linda, 

Thanks for you reply. 

I'm currently on hold now waiting for Airbnb to give me some advice on the situation. 

However, its been a 20 mintue hold phone call already, so I might aswe-ll just keep waiting rather than trying again tomorrow. 

Will deffinetly let you know what happens next. 

Quite a concering situation. 

Helga0
Level 10
Quimper, France

@Stephanie86 

as they are adults, they can decide on their own, how they spend their days and nights 😉

I would send a message, that I hope they are enjoying themselves and just to remind them about checkout: when, how and that new guests are checking in the same day, so I need to clean the space and they really need to leave at ...

If you don't hear back from them till tomorrow morning, send them another message, that you need to know what's going on. You propose that you pack their things  and take back the room, otherwise they would have to pay double fee for the following days, but this would be terrible for the next guests. (Even if you have none, you could need the space for your aunt Mary).

After that message, call airbnb, so they know in advance, what's happening. They will try to reach the guest too and have other ideas. 

Hi, 

Thanks for you reply. 

Yes they are adults, however my concern is that they are in a new city they have never been to before and what if something happened? 

My concern is not about the room and having another guest tomorrow (which I do) my concern is that if I leave this too long, and something has happened, why didn't I do something sooner?

We unfortunelty live in sometimes in a unfriendly world. I don't want to have on my concious that I did nothing, if they were in trouble. 

Hi @Stephanie86

I understand your worrying. I host single persons, when I'm home and sometimes they come from very far, are very young and look fragile and are sleeping elsewhere or come home at 3 am. 

I leave a small light on in the kitchen, where they enter, so that I can see by the gap under the door if they are in or not, even from my bed 😉

But so far, they all found some compatriotes - even the girl from Novosibirsk managed to find a guy from Novosibirsk on her first evening out. Asians find each other - it seems humans have a radar much better than any dating app, to find a person from their home town in any location, even accross the globe. 

Your guests have friends in town - they may simply have shared food, lots of drinks, slept on their couch and spent the day together. 

Hi, 

I appricated your replies. 

However, I have a couple who are staying with us. 

They have all their personal belongs (I believe) still in their room. I haven't and don't feel like I should open the door to check. 

Also, as mentioned our guests are due to check out tomorrow - so I would of thought now being over the 24 hour mark, a shower or change of clothes would be needed. 

Last time we saw them was 8pm last night - it is now 9:30pm the following morning. 

I don't think I would last 24 hours in the same clothes, let alone same set of drawers.

If the luggage is still there tomorrow and they neither reply nor show, you'd still have to wait till evening (48hours) for a police report for adults. Less only if there are signs for a critical missing. 

Airbnb may have their landline from their hometown or a facebook account with details. If they do not show up at all before checkout and their stuff is really there, you may try to get them, to contact relatives. 

I'd think it's more probable, that they show up close to noon tomorrow and will want to take showers before they leave, ruining your planning. Therefore messages well in advance concerning checkout are important. 

Good luck and I hope you get some sleep nevertheless !

Kate157
Level 10
SF, CA

Although I never enter guest's space after they are checked in, I would make a small exception here, and I would knock and then poke my head in if there was no answer. I would want to know if their luggage was still present, or if for some reason they had moved on without saying anything. I have had guests who didn't return home for a night, and it wasn't a big deal. So,etimes I worry about people being out in the big city, but they are adults