Received URA Notice in Singapore

Choy0
Level 1
Singapore

Received URA Notice in Singapore

Hi there, My sister just went to help check in a guest for me and she saw a slip from the Urban Redevelopment Authority stating that they made a visit but couldn't enter the property, and for us to contact them within 5 days. Since the law regarding private apartment owners renting on Airbnb in Singapore is in a very grey area, we will appreciate some advice from other fellow hosts in Singapore. Did you ever receive a notice as such? If so, what did you do or say to the URA officer? Did you have to stop hosting or did you come to a solution? Really hope to have a reply soon as my husband is planning to call them tomorrow. Thanks in advance!

7 Replies 7
Kim-and-Jen0
Level 10
Oslo, Norway

Hi Choy, airbnb is not approved by Singapore government. I have friend who worked at STB informed about me before. But you can check again with STB regarding this. Good luck
Hanna18
Level 1
Singapore

Can Airbnb advise?

Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Hanna18

Airbnb cannot help - hosts are required to be informed concerning local laws and regulations before listing.  This is in the airbnb T&C between host and airbnb. 

@Choy0

Better do as required and make contact within the timeframe - only then you can find out what it is all about.  Perhaps there is a Facebook group for Singapore hosts ?

Kal3
Level 2
Sydney, Australia

So what happen after you call them? I thought only if your guest cos disturbing to your neighbours. That's where ppl complaint I think. In the end, do you have to stop hosting?

Andrew51
Level 3
Singapore

Hi I suspect its because you had neighbours that complained as it was reported in The Straits Times that URA is monitoring & the 6 months min rental rule is more a guideline than a Statue.  Since then the Minister has said that we can't fight the Shared economy its a matter of figuring how to work it out.     I know of a housing agent that rental quite a few properties & converted them to airbnb and in 1 of this property there was a complain to URA.  URA basically asked her for an interview and told her they know she has quite a few properties doing airbnb & to desist.  Since then as her story goes, as the rentals are due she has been returning them and have paired down to only a few airbnb properties.    It would be good if you could share what happened to your visit to URA.

Tina151
Level 1
Singapore

Hi how do you respond to URA at the end? And will you stop hosting?

Yes, I've stopped opening my calendar and sending out check in welcome msg reminding guests to be sensitive to noise.  By the way, I did not receive any notice from URA, it was another host that did.